Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Deep River, ON

Do you think Deep River’s Canadian Tire is installing a Supercharger?

• Yes

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • No, nothing to do with charging

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No, installing another type of charger

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meh.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@cpwl, was the Jule charger in Mattawa operational?

As best I could tell without plugging in to charge, remember I was in an ICE, it is operational. The "start" buttons at each connector were illuminated so there is certainly power to the control circuits. Hence I think it is reasonable to conclude the station as a whole is usable. Given the previous discussion in this thread about what chargers work with the Tesla ChaDeMo adpater, I think its compatibility with our adapters is probably the biggest risk with showing up to this station with insufficient SOC to make it to the next charging station. Perhaps one of our North Bay members might be willing to head down to Mattawa to conduct a brief test and report back sometime in the near future.

Has anyone Driven through Deep River lately? Has there been any rumors or speculation as to why this supercharger wasn't activated along with the rest of the SSM to NB route?
pic from PlugShare
799BB590-4EF3-434B-93A0-54BBFC82C482.jpeg

I hadn't seen this pic yet. Thanks.
It's unfortunately difficult to tell if the pedestals are lit. ( they look off to me).
With the activation of the other SC's today I hope they can get this up before the xmas break. Maybe they had an technical issue with this location and that's why it wasn't included.

I have to agree that these pedestals are NOT illuminated and hence the station is not activated. With the overcast skies there would be no question at all telling if the lights were on. Perhaps the long range M3 and newer 100 kwh battery equipped Model S can make Ottawa to North Bay but for those of us with the original 85 kwh batteries this site is critical in anything but ideal conditions and even then there would be a high "pucker factor" for that last 20 kms into North Bay. Without this SC site we would have to trust either the KSI chargers in Deep River/Mattawa or the Mattawa Jule L3 charger I reported on earlier in the thread. As @PLUS EV said, this is a remote location, especially this time of year, so running up in an ICE just to check on it is sketchy at best.

Last edited:
I hadn't seen this pic yet. Thanks.
It's unfortunately difficult to tell if the pedestals are lit. ( they look off to me).
With the activation of the other SC's today I hope they can get this up before the xmas break. Maybe they had an technical issue with this location and that's why it wasn't included.
Again, how do you know they aren't activated right now? Did you stop by today and check?

Again, how do you know they aren't activated right now? Did you stop by today and check?

According to the photo in post #125, at the time of it being taken the connector pedestals are clearly not illuminated. And as of 20 minutes ago the Deep River site is not even listed in my Model S' in-car map. At least North Bay, Baldwin, Blind River and SSM are on the in-car maps but are listed as temporarily closed. So..... pretty reasonable for @FrankensteinT3 to conclude the site is still not active.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
For anyone interested in the status of this SC I'll be driving through tomorrow in an ICE vehicle (unfortunately i cant risk the drive with no confirmed working fast chargers Tesla or otherwise). Ill check to see if the lights are on (at least). The lack of any working DC fast chargers is a real bummer.
Assuming the SC in north bay was/is working it would have been workable if some other chargers were working along the route between Ottawa and Sudbury (looking at you EVRoute). and I may have been able to test the deep river SC out.
On a side note: I spoke with the company who runs the JULE charger at the subway in Mattawa. It is currently not operational. the person i spoke to didn't have a timeline but suggested I call back and speak to their sales person. I will at some point today.

• Informative
Reactions: cpwl and GarthG
Probably 80% of the people following the North Bay SC saga/debacle are equally interested in the Deep River SC status. For Ottawa to Sudbury travel they are equally critical to making the trip even possible let alone comfortable, at least for anyone without a 100kwh Model S./X and the long range Model 3. I for one will appreciate any information you post but I don't really expect Deep River to "get any love" from the Tesla SC testing/activation team until the North Bay, Baldwin, Blind River and SSM SC are sorted out.
On a side not who is the operator of the Jule Station in Mattawa? When I saw it a couple of weeks ago the illuminated start buttons lead me to conclude it was active. Any information on that will be exceedingly important until Deep river SC is operational.

Probably 80% of the people following the North Bay SC saga/debacle are equally interested in the Deep River SC status. For Ottawa to Sudbury travel they are equally critical to making the trip even possible let alone comfortable, at least for anyone without a 100kwh Model S./X and the long range Model 3. I for one will appreciate any information you post but I don't really expect Deep River to "get any love" from the Tesla SC testing/activation team until the North Bay, Baldwin, Blind River and SSM SC are sorted out.
On a side not who is the operator of the JULE Station in Mattawa? When I saw it a couple of weeks ago the illuminated start buttons lead me to conclude it was active. Any information on that will be exceedingly important until Deep river SC is operational.

I agree. Mostly because the in car map shows the others as in place but temporarily closed. Whereas Deep River is still showing as "coming soon". I'll stop DR regardless, and fill up at the Canadian tire gas bar so i can ask the attendant if he knows what's going on (unlikely but worth the ask). no one seems to live near there for updates. I'll be surprised if the lights are on.

As for the JULE Charger, I was going to try and make the trip in my SR+ if the NB was confirmed active AND the JULE charger was working. so in anticipation of that I just dialed the number on the picture from plug share. It was a direct line to office admin for the company (JULE/eCamion?).

I'm doing the Sudbury route today so ill post updates on the SC's in DR, and NB and ill take a peek in Mattawa and ask the family that runs the subway if they know anything. (I'll post it in this thread). If only to feel like I'm doing something constructive with my 6 hour commute.

Reactions: GarthG and cpwl
So with North Bay apparently activated, although perhaps with a power limitation, it's time for Deep River to get some loving from Tesla's activation team. This SC site is critical for those of us driving "older" Model S and X making the trip from Ottawa to North Bay and all points west. As members pass through Deep River, even in their back up ICEs could they keep the rest of us apprised of what they see at the site. Hopefully @GarthG interpretation of his conversation with a Tesla tech was correct when he advised us North Bay and Deep River would be "...Christmas gifts from Tesla".

Last edited:
Reactions: Can37 and GarthG
So with North Bay apparently activated, although perhaps with a power limitation, it's time for Deep River to get some loving from Tesla's activation team. This SC site is critical for those of us driving "older" Model S and X making the trip from Ottawa to North Bay and all points west. As members pass through Deep River, even in their back up ICEs could they keep the rest of us apprised of what they see at the site. Hopefully @GarthG interpretation of his conversation with a Tesla tech was correct when he advised us North Bay and Deep River would be "...Christmas gifts from Tesla".
Yes you must be careful in some of these remote location when driving through in the evenings when nothing is open and you are forced to flag down a TT for a ride in -40c weather. Been there and won’t chance it again but things are looking up in for 2020.