Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Deep River, ON

Do you think Deep River’s Canadian Tire is installing a Supercharger?

• Yes

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • No, nothing to do with charging

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No, installing another type of charger

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meh.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes the Subway sandwich restaurant on Hwy 17. The closest thing I could see to a network name was, as stated, Jule. Here's the photo I took of the contact information. I've never heard of Jule or seen a station quite like it. I'll get a better photo when I head back on Sun and post. I should have thought of that today.View attachment 485469

Hurray! Let's hope it works with Tesla's Chademo adapter (which the Ivy, according to reports, does not so far). I like to stay at the Le Voyageur Inn in Mattawa when I'm in that area. Using the L3 charger at the ScotiaBank across the street use to dove-tail nicely. But over the past year it's gotten quite unreliable. It's good to see another one going in in the area. Of course, one Tesla turns up all their SCs along the TCH, it won't matter so much. But it will save me a bit of time being able to charge up overnight by having a charger near where I'm staying.

Hurray! Let's hope it works with Tesla's Chademo adapter (which the Ivy, according to reports, does not so far). I like to stay at the Le Voyageur Inn in Mattawa when I'm in that area. Using the L3 charger at the ScotiaBank across the street use to dove-tail nicely. But over the past year it's gotten quite unreliable. It's good to see another one going in in the area. Of course, one Tesla turns up all their SCs along the TCH, it won't matter so much. But it will save me a bit of time being able to charge up overnight by having a charger near where I'm staying.

If you routinely stay there have you approached them about installing an L2 charger? Either a generic L2 charger for general EV use and/or a Tesla wall connector as part of Tesla's destination charger program. An L2 would make more sense for overnight charging than using even a low power L3 station.

All they would need to do is to start to provide some NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlets like the Canadian block heater wood posts we have all over. Could maybe even generate business. $20 more a night with an EV sounds reasonable and having them would draw EV's as well as helping promote a cleaner environment. Whats more common or do you think could be adopted at motels NEMA 14-50 or 6-50? 6-50 is my welder; I do not have a 2nd house on wheels but think 14-50 is 50 amp for RV and a stove? In a pinch it would be great if they started popping up; you could get 30 to 50 km/hr at hot spots which is no SC but not nothing; especially if you are stopping the night.

If you routinely stay there have you approached them about installing an L2 charger? Either a generic L2 charger for general EV use and/or a Tesla wall connector as part of Tesla's destination charger program. An L2 would make more sense for overnight charging than using even a low power L3 station.

I have considered mentioning e.g., Tesla's Destination Charging program (I've gotten chargers at a few other hotels that way). The problem was, from the hotel's perspective, why should they invest in their own charging infrastructure when there's a charger right across the street? Arguably, that applied until the past few months when the charger at the bank became entirely unreliable.

I like @Shayne's idea of suggesting 14-50 or 6-50 outlets since they can also be used for block heaters for ICE vehicles. OTOH, Tesla provides destination chargers for free and sometimes even helps with the installation costs. I'll bring up both ideas next time I'm there.

I have considered mentioning e.g., Tesla's Destination Charging program (I've gotten chargers at a few other hotels that way). The problem was, from the hotel's perspective, why should they invest in their own charging infrastructure when there's a charger right across the street? Arguably, that applied until the past few months when the charger at the bank became entirely unreliable.

I like @Shayne's idea of suggesting 14-50 or 6-50 outlets since they can also be used for block heaters for ICE vehicles. OTOH, Tesla provides destination chargers for free and sometimes even helps with the installation costs. I'll bring up both ideas next time I'm there.

ICE block heaters are typically 120 volts. You’d need a NEMA 14-50 and an adapter to only use on hot and the neutral to run a block heater. You can’t get 120 volts from a NEMA 6-50 because there is no neutral.

ICE block heaters are typically 120 volts. You’d need a NEMA 14-50 and an adapter to only use on hot and the neutral to run a block heater. You can’t get 120 volts from a NEMA 6-50 because there is no neutral.

Yes they would need to be weatherproof and clearly marked; hard to plug a 110 into a welder outlet, like getting a diesel nozzle into a gas vehicle. They could be locked boxes and if you don't need a room, just a couple of hours, you still go the the front desk and pay for the key. Then settle down at their restaurant. It may take some of the logistics and stress out of planning and would be a draw for overnighters.

Getting closer to home in Deep River taking a brief brake. I just checked the supercharger site and not a light anywhere so still NOT activated.

However as I said Fri I did stop by the Jule L3 charger station at the Mattawa Subway and snapped these photos. Hopefully this station will be more reliable than the KSI station at the Scotiabank and can tide people over until the North Bay and Deep River superchargers are finally up and running.
20191208_145312.jpg
20191208_145328.jpg
20191208_145745.jpg

Getting closer to home in Deep River taking a brief brake. I just checked the supercharger site and not a light anywhere so still NOT activated.

However as I said Fri I did stop by the Jule L3 charger station at the Mattawa Subway and snapped these photos. Hopefully this station will be more reliable than the KSI station at the Scotiabank and can tide people over until the North Bay and Deep River superchargers are finally up and running. View attachment 486202 View attachment 486203 View attachment 486204

Could you tell if there is a hydro feed? e-Camion specializes in battery packs for charging I wonder if they are going to swap this out when the battery is depleted.

• Informative
Reactions: DrinkMonkey
Thanks, I missed that. This is a great solution for avoiding Hydro demand charges to the host site.

Well there's no telling what's inside the container. It may well be a big battery bank that is used to power the chargers and simply recharges itself at a lower power draw during off peak hours. I can't really see deploying a completely off grid charger in Northern Ontario. The power needed just to keep the batteries warm would deplete them far too quickly to be a viable proposition. My expectations anyway.... for what they may be worth.

For a low use charger, low draw battery charging for high speed EV charging seems ideal - except, as you mention, for the heating issue. Presume one of the features would be running a ventilation fan for the month when there is no snow.

So a little surfing to find out a bit more about eCamion came up with this:

Video: Power Over Energy: Introducing eCAMION – Signature Electric

While they leave us on a "cliff hanger" it is exactly as has been deduced in this thread, low power draw from the grid to battery storage and 50Kw charging. And while not explicitly stated the eCamion representative strongly implies these "cubes" can support 50Kw at each connector simultaneously.

So a little surfing to find out a bit more about eCamion came up with this:

Video: Power Over Energy: Introducing eCAMION – Signature Electric

While they leave us on a "cliff hanger" it is exactly as has been deduced in this thread, low power draw from the grid to battery storage and 50Kw charging. And while not explicitly stated the eCamion representative strongly implies these "cubes" can support 50Kw at each connector simultaneously.
Great find. The details are right in the paragraph before the video: "These powerful yellow cubes can charge three simultaneous 50-kilowatt Level-3 chargers using Lithium-ion based energy storage to achieve quick results."

Great find. The details are right in the paragraph before the video: "These powerful yellow cubes can charge three simultaneous 50-kilowatt Level-3 chargers using Lithium-ion based energy storage to achieve quick results."

Yes, I went straight to the video and posted before back tracking to read the text. I got ahead of myself in sharing the information before taking it all in! What I can't find at the moment is any information about charging session costs. It would also be interesting to find out eCamion's business model for these stations. Are they sold to host sites, do they remain eCamion assets and eCamion then pays the hosts a nominal amount/profit share, etc..

I also checked out the Signature Electric YouTube channel.

Signature Electric Ltd.

It's small with very few videos but I think it is well worth subscribing as an incentive for them to keep producing similarly informative videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrinkMonkey