Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Deep River, ON

Do you think Deep River’s Canadian Tire is installing a Supercharger?

• Yes

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • No, nothing to do with charging

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • No, installing another type of charger

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meh.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you found the Tim Horton's KSI charger in Deep River to be reliable?

I have found it to be unreliable. I was there a few weeks ago and it kept saying it couldn't connect to the car. Same thing happened in Spanish. I was beginning to wonder if perhaps something was wrong with the car or the Chademo adapter. But then the charger at PetroCan in Espanola worked just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: GarthG and ccudmore
I have found it to be unreliable. I was there a few weeks ago and it kept saying it couldn't connect to the car. Same thing happened in Spanish. I was beginning to wonder if perhaps something was wrong with the car or the Chademo adapter. But then the charger at PetroCan in Espanola worked just fine.
That's actually a sign that the chademo adapter you have is one of the defective ones. KSI & Flo plugs won't fit/charge, but the Petro-Can ones will work.

That's actually a sign that the chademo adapter you have is one of the defective ones. KSI & Flo plugs won't fit/charge, but the Petro-Can ones will work.

Perhaps. But my adapter worked last year at the Tim Horton's in Deep River & North Bay, and at the ScotiaBanks in Spanish, Elliot Lake, Mattawa, and Pembroke. This year I only tried Spanish, North Bay, and Deep River, and all three failed. The adapter also worked at the three Electric Circuit chargers I used in Quebec. (It also has been working fine here in Minnesota, although it's been several months since I last used it here.)

I haven't tried a Flo charger. But otherwise, the only chargers that give me trouble are KSI's, and their chargers aren't well known for reliability. When you say "the chademo adapter you have is one of the defective ones", was there a notice about defective adapters somewhere?

Perhaps. But my adapter worked last year at the Tim Horton's in Deep River & North Bay, and at the ScotiaBanks in Spanish, Elliot Lake, Mattawa, and Pembroke. This year I only tried Spanish, North Bay, and Deep River, and all three failed. The adapter also worked at the three Electric Circuit chargers I used in Quebec. (It also has been working fine here in Minnesota, although it's been several months since I last used it here.)

I haven't tried a Flo charger. But otherwise, the only chargers that give me trouble are KSI's, and their chargers aren't well known for reliability. When you say "the chademo adapter you have is one of the defective ones", was there a notice about defective adapters somewhere?
Unfortunately not. I only know about it because a friend had borrowed mine before he got his, so he knew something was wrong when he couldn’t use his to charge.
Since then Tesla has confirmed that at least one batch of Chademo adapters we’re out of spec, and wouldn’t latch properly in chargers. Basically, if you can pull your adapter off the plug without holding down the release latch, you’ve got a bad adapter.

There is power at the chargers, you can hear the fans. There does not seem to be lights in the heads. Waiting for the big announcement?

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_141227.jpg
    IMG_20191117_141227.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 119
  • Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
There is power at the chargers, you can hear the fans. There does not seem to be lights in the heads. Waiting for the big announcement?

Are you actually hearing the fans under power, i.e. is there motor hum to accompany the mechanical noises? The fans may just be turning due to wind passing through the cabinets. If the pedestals are not active and delivering power there really is no reason for the fans to be active to cool the charging electronics and power components. And its plenty cold enough right now that IF any monitoring circuits are active they will be staying cool enough without forced conduction.

Are you actually hearing the fans under power, i.e. is there motor hum to accompany the mechanical noises? The fans may just be turning due to wind passing through the cabinets. If the pedestals are not active and delivering power there really is no reason for the fans to be active to cool the charging electronics and power components. And its plenty cold enough right now that IF any monitoring circuits are active they will be staying cool enough without forced conduction.
There was no wind to speak of, The fans were running and making fan noises just like a fan should. The sound like an expensive fridge but a bit louder. My guess is that there are small fans to keep the computers running, they did not seem loud enough to be the cooling for the power electronics.

So has anybody passed by and checked this site in the last couple of weeks. I have an Ottawa-to-Sudbury round trip requirement for either this weekend or next and I'd much prefer to go on electricity than burn distilled dino-juice. To do that though both Deep River and North Bay superchargers are needed as I simply leave my fate to the KSI chargers in Deep River and Mattawa, even if I was willing to pay their exorbitant thievery costs. Any update would be much appreciated.

So has anybody passed by and checked this site in the last couple of weeks. I have an Ottawa-to-Sudbury round trip requirement for either this weekend or next and I'd much prefer to go on electricity than burn distilled dino-juice. To do that though both Deep River and North Bay superchargers are needed as I simply leave my fate to the KSI chargers in Deep River and Mattawa, even if I was willing to pay their exorbitant thievery costs. Any update would be much appreciated.
My update above was from a week ago. I stopped by Deep River on Monday 18th with no sign of the chargers being activated.

My update above was from a week ago. I stopped by Deep River on Monday 18th with no sign of the chargers being activated.
As of this morning, 26 Nov, the station is all done and hydro is installed. They are waiting for Tesla to approve the installation prior to taking them live. No estimated time for that inspection that I know of, but hopefully very soon.

Last edited:
“Christmas gifts from Tesla”

This is a post similar to one I did today in the North Bay thread.

I made the trip from Kirkland Lake to Ottawa today in my Subaru Forester, not my M3. Didn’t stop to check out the North Bay site but I did stop at Deep River because I saw a White Model S backed up (but not plugged in) to one of the stations. There was a Tesla employee opening up one of the equipment cabinets and a truck also unloading Tesla stamped wooden crates, similar to the photo posted earlier today in the North Bay thread.

I talked briefly to the Tesla employee. He mentioned that there were still more components to be installed before the Deep River site would become active — I’m assuming the contents of the crates. He also confirmed that the Model X spotted in North Bay awhile back was part of commissioning tests.

I asked when the Deep River and North Bay sites might be fully operational. He didn’t want to give an exact date (not surprisingly) but did say that they would be “Christmas gifts from Tesla”

Sorry for the lack of photos. I asked him if I could photograph the crates and he politely told me not to

“Christmas gifts from Tesla”

This is a post similar to one I did today in the North Bay thread.

I made the trip from Kirkland Lake to Ottawa today in my Subaru Forester, not my M3. Didn’t stop to check out the North Bay site but I did stop at Deep River because I saw a White Model S backed up (but not plugged in) to one of the stations. There was a Tesla employee opening up one of the equipment cabinets and a truck also unloading Tesla stamped wooden crates, similar to the photo posted earlier today in the North Bay thread.

I talked briefly to the Tesla employee. He mentioned that there were still more components to be installed before the Deep River site would become active — I’m assuming the contents of the crates. He also confirmed that the Model X spotted in North Bay awhile back was part of commissioning tests.

I asked when the Deep River and North Bay sites might be fully operational. He didn’t want to give an exact date (not surprisingly) but did say that they would be “Christmas gifts from Tesla”

Sorry for the lack of photos. I asked him if I could photograph the crates and he politely told me not to
Thanks for the info Garth, I am visiting my son soon in DR, so I am willing them to finish soon. Your update was promising. :)

Reactions: DrinkMonkey
The lights are on at North Bay, is anyone able to check Deep River?

I'm going to Sudbury (from Ottawa) on Friday and will stop at both Deep River and North Bay to check the state of both sites and report on what I see once I make it to Sudbury. Right now the plan is to use the distilled-dino-juice burning car unless we see posts with charging screen photos to show that both Deep River and North Bay are active. If that happens, not holding my breath though, I'll make the trip in my Model S and report charging rates for what it is worth on early (2014) car.

So I stopped at the Deep River supercharger about an hour ago - taking a break in Mattawa for a moment. None of the connector pedestals are illuminated so NOT activated. On the positive side though there are no crates at the site so it's reasonable to conclude that the equipment GarthG saw being delivered last week has been installed.

I also stopped at the Mattawa Subway to check their L3 charger mentioned earlier in this or the North Bay thread. It is a portable Jule installation in a 10ft container. CCS and ChaDeMo connectors per station max 50 Kw. Three stations but one is against the building so pretty much unusable. I also suspect the 50 kw max is also the total site max.

On to Sudbury via the North Bay supercharger site.....

Reactions: SlyWombat
So I stopped at the Deep River supercharger about an hour ago - taking a break in Mattawa for a moment. None of the connector pedestals are illuminated so NOT activated. On the positive side though there are no crates at the site so it's reasonable to conclude that the equipment GarthG saw being delivered last week has been installed.

I also stopped at the Mattawa Subway to check their L3 charger mentioned earlier in this or the North Bay thread. It is a portable Jule installation in a 10ft container. CCS and ChaDeMo connectors per station max 50 Kw. Three stations but one is against the building so pretty much unusable. I also suspect the 50 kw max is also the total site max.

On to Sudbury via the North Bay supercharger site.....
The Mattawa Subway? Is this one of those IVY installations?

The Mattawa Subway? Is this one of those IVY installations?

Yes the Subway sandwich restaurant on Hwy 17. The closest thing I could see to a network name was, as stated, Jule. Here's the photo I took of the contact information. I've never heard of Jule or seen a station quite like it. I'll get a better photo when I head back on Sun and post. I should have thought of that today.
20191206_135545.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP