Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Paso, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that location, I wonder if the next one west will skip Las Cruces (at least for now) and be in Deming, 90 miles away. After that, 60 miles to Lordsburg, and 109 more to Benson. And I'm surprised no one has found anything in Pecos yet, as that's the obvious place between Midland and Van Horn.
I'm wondering when we will get news about Pecos, as well. Even though the supercharger forecast map on the company's website has been misleading in the past, that's where the marker appears to be. The map also suggests that the only new site between Deming and Casa Grande in 2017 will be at Willcox, which does have some infrastructure. That would leave Tucson much like Seattle is currently, in the middle of a roughly 150 mile stretch between superchargers.

We have a trip scheduled for late April from Northern California to Austin and was hoping I-10 would be complete. As of now it doesn't look like it will happen. Since our last trip there have been some additional superchargers installed which cuts the trip by about 140 miles. Still it would be about 4 hours less driving time if I-10 gets done. I can't understand why I-40, I-80 and especially I-10 are not complete since they are the major East/West routes between California, Florida and Texas where most of the cars are located. The good news is that they are currently working on completing all three routes.

We have a trip scheduled for late April from Northern California to Austin and was hoping I-10 would be complete. As of now it doesn't look like it will happen. Since our last trip there have been some additional superchargers installed which cuts the trip by about 140 miles. Still it would be about 4 hours less driving time if I-10 gets done. I can't understand why I-40, I-80 and especially I-10 are not complete since they are the major East/West routes between California, Florida and Texas where most of the cars are located. The good news is that they are currently working on completing all three routes.

I think we can safely say I-10 will not be completed by late April (of this year, I assume).

Is the shorter route you speak of the cut from Amarillo to Childress to Cisco to Austin? This cuts a lot of time off of the trip, even if it doesn't seem to cut much distance!

I think we can safely say I-10 will not be completed by late April (of this year, I assume).

Is the shorter route you speak of the cut from Amarillo to Childress to Cisco to Austin? This cuts a lot of time off of the trip, even if it doesn't seem to cut much distance!

El Paso to Casa Grande is about 390 miles so if El Paso gets completed by then, staying the night at a strategic location where you can charge in between those superchargers could make the trip work without too much hassle and even with some hassle it could definitely be worth it if it saves a ton of time/miles.

I know that area is sparsely populated so it's not easy, but looking at plugshare, it looks like you could park your car overnight at the KOA campground in Lordsburg, NM and walk to a nearby hotel and your car should be charged overnight. Definitely call ahead to be sure they are open if you are trying to pull off something like that.

El Paso to Casa Grande is about 390 miles so if El Paso gets completed by then, staying the night at a strategic location where you can charge in between those superchargers could make the trip work without too much hassle and even with some hassle it could definitely be worth it if it saves a ton of time/miles.

I know that area is sparsely populated so it's not easy, but looking at plugshare, it looks like you could park your car overnight at the KOA campground in Lordsburg, NM and walk to a nearby hotel and your car should be charged overnight. Definitely call ahead to be sure they are open if you are trying to pull off something like that.

El Paso being finished is a big"if". Fort Stockton has not started and possibly will not any time soon. Pecos is a big unknown, so going I-20 would be tough.

I certainly hope they get it done, but I have a trip to the Pacific Northwest from TX in May, and I am not even considering trying to go the I-10 route (which I have done several times in an ICE).

El Paso being finished is a big"if". Fort Stockton has not started and possibly will not any time soon. Pecos is a big unknown, so going I-20 would be tough.

I certainly hope they get it done, but I have a trip to the Pacific Northwest from TX in May, and I am not even considering trying to go the I-10 route (which I have done several times in an ICE).

I wouldn't consider doing it in a 60 either. FWIW I was assuming 85+. I don't believe rays427 clarified what model he has. I wouldn't use I-20 to go to Austin and in an 85+, I wouldn't consider any part of the trek east of Van Horn to be difficult regardless which interestate you use.

It looks like taking I-10 saves about 3.5 hours for him so it might be worth considering the I-10 route with the overnight charge in Lordsburg. If a Lubbock supercharger somehow came online in a hurry, then that would be another route to consider.

I wouldn't consider doing it in a 60 either. FWIW I was assuming 85+. I don't believe rays427 clarified what model he has. I wouldn't use I-20 to go to Austin and in an 85+, I wouldn't consider any part of the trek east of Van Horn to be difficult regardless which interestate you use.

It looks like taking I-10 saves about 3.5 hours for him so it might be worth considering the I-10 route with the overnight charge in Lordsburg. If a Lubbock supercharger somehow came online in a hurry, then that would be another route to consider.

You're probably right.

One thing to be careful of that I discovered this week travelling on I-10 between Junction and Ozona and (part of the way) to Van Horn is that the Google Maps speed estimates for that stretch are grossly under-estimated. In other words, taking a speed factor of 1.0 on EVTripplanner will not give you the estimated speed of 80+ that you would expect for an interstate with an 80 mph speed limit, but only an estimate of 75 mph collected from their data. I assume this is the result of a high percentage of truckers using Google Maps, coupled with a high percentage of trucks on that road, most of which travel at well under the posted speed limit.

To get an accurate estimation of your range on that road, you will need to adjust the speed coefficient and check that it results in the speed that you will actually be driving. I was way off because I put in a factor of 1.0, thinking if I drove the speed limit I'd be ok. Wrong. That gave me an estimate of range if I drove 75 in an 80 mph zone.

Reactions: avesraggiana
That stretch between Casa Grande AZ and El Paso TX is a loooong way to go without a supercharger safety net. There’s always level 2 destination charging of course, but they’re never a sure thing.

We have a permit and location for the El Paso Supercharger. It's a little far for me to run over there, since Fort Stockton is lacking. You can try calling Rudy's there in El Paso to see if they have started construction.

Yes, this is a lot shorter than what we were looking at last year when we were looking at doing this trip. We took our Expedition instead using I-10. This time we will take the Tesla.

Reactions: BerTX
Hello. I live in West El Paso and go to the Rudy's mentioned in this forum. I noticed this morning that the Tesla Charging Station is under construction. I came across this thread as I was looking to see if other stations are being built in El Paso. Unless someone else does before tomorrow, I'll go by later and take of photo of their progress and post for your use. I can't remember, but my memory says there's at least six stations being installed in the Rudy's parking lot next to the hotel.

Hello. I live in West El Paso and go to the Rudy's mentioned in this forum. I noticed this morning that the Tesla Charging Station is under construction. I came across this thread as I was looking to see if other stations are being built in El Paso. Unless someone else does before tomorrow, I'll go by later and take of photo of their progress and post for your use. I can't remember, but my memory says there's at least six stations being installed in the Rudy's parking lot next to the hotel.

Awesome news! That’ll make that stretch of the 10 a little less dodgy. Now we need an SC somewhere in the middle of southern NM, like Deming or Lordsburg.

Last edited:
Send that photo to Blueshift ([email protected]) and you'll see that blue dot change to an orange cone! Great to see more progress on I-10!

I went by this morning and took a few pics of the progress that has been made so far...

IMG_0896a.jpg
IMG_0897a.jpg
IMG_0899.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 91