Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Paso, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, folks! This is exciting! It looks like the supercharger cabinets and distribution centers will be in the linear arrangement used when space is limited. Watch for a transformer vault or pad in that corner, which will have conduit running to the distribution centers tucked furthest back in the corner. Then wait for the big green transformer.....hopefully not too long.

Great to have this location under construction! Awesome to have photos as well. Thanks for updating this location. I was surprised to see it so far along. I agree with so many others that Deming NM, Willcox AZ, and Benson AZ are necessary to close the southern I-10 travel route. Elon..... make it so!

Reactions: avesraggiana
Update...

I spoke with a manager from Rudy's this morning. He said the installers are waiting on approval regarding the city permits and the work done so far. As soon as the permits are signed, they will be able to finish the installation. He's been told the charging station might be running next week.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    630.6 KB · Views: 232
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    990.5 KB · Views: 218
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 210
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    635.6 KB · Views: 215
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    742.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    781.9 KB · Views: 208
The photo update is great, thank you. There is still a lot of work to be done, a lot! This site probably won't open until May. May is a longer wait than we may wish, however it is just the reality of a concrete pour and set up, installing the utility cabinets, superchargers, the wait for the utility transformer to arrive on site and get wired up, stall striping, cleanup, Tesla checking and verifying etc.. Permits will have to be signed off along the way and all that just takes time, and more time. Think sometime in May for the first supercharge. Keep the photos coming. It's great to watch the site progress from afar through excellent photo journalism!

The photo update is great, thank you. There is still a lot of work to be done, a lot! This site probably won't open until May. May is a longer wait than we may wish, however it is just the reality of a concrete pour and set up, installing the utility cabinets, superchargers, the wait for the utility transformer to arrive on site and get wired up, stall striping, cleanup, Tesla checking and verifying etc.. Permits will have to be signed off along the way and all that just takes time, and more time. Think sometime in May for the first supercharge. Keep the photos coming. It's great to watch the site progress from afar through excellent photo journalism!

Totally agree. That site is probably two months from opening. It just doesn't go that way. If there is no transformer that adds a month. Figure two weeks for Tesla to figure out how to get a Tech with a Tesla there. Sometimes that is a month for remote areas. It took a month for the inspection and commissioning at Van Horn. They can't easily get there because there is a hole in the chain at Fort Stockton/Pecos.

Totally agree. That site is probably two months from opening. It just doesn't go that way. If there is no transformer that adds a month. Figure two weeks for Tesla to figure out how to get a Tech with a Tesla there. Sometimes that is a month for remote areas. It took a month for the inspection and commissioning at Van Horn. They can't easily get there because there is a hole in the chain at Fort Stockton/Pecos.

Charge at Iraan to reach Van Horn. At least with an 85+.

Went by today to see what was what. Looks pretty much the same as the photos McKemie posted yesterday, except now with plastic bags...

Attachments

• IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0926.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0928.JPG
    IMG_0928.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0929.JPG
    IMG_0929.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 166
The large concrete interconnection box will have the utility transformer placed on top of it. The pad, with opening, will be moved forward on top of the interconnection box once the board is moved. The opening will allow cables to route between the utility transformer and the distribution cabinets {gray not shown> unless they are now white < next to the boxed superchargers} and the main electrical line feeding the transformer. Good progress so far. The supercharging pedestals look wired up from pedestals to our cars but will still need electrical from the superchargers {still in boxes} themselves and, of course, the superchargers need the feed from the distribution cabinets. The photos are helpful in watching this site come along. We have all been waiting years and years for I-10 and I-40 to transcontinental. El Paso West is another link in the network. Three more to close I-10. Willcox AZ, Deming NM, Fort Stockton TX. I wish we had solid information on these other locations as well.

Last edited:
Don't forget there's still a hole at Ft. Stockton. That's a long stretch from Van Horn to Ozona-- 226 miles on a 80 mph highway.
It's about a 1600 ft elevation drop and should be fairly warm so I wouldn't hesitate to make that leg in an 85+. The bigger issue is getting to the El Paso supercharger. Would require arranging a slow charge somewhere between Tucson and Cruces or possibly just driving waaaaay under the speed limit from ABQ to El Paso. Both of those issues increase variance and slow you down to the point where it might not even be faster than just taking the all supercharger route through Childress.

Reactions: avesraggiana