Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Paso, Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's about a 1600 ft elevation drop and should be fairly warm so I wouldn't hesitate to make that leg in an 85+. The bigger issue is getting to the El Paso supercharger. Would require arranging a slow charge somewhere between Tucson and Cruces or possibly just driving waaaaay under the speed limit from ABQ to El Paso. Both of those issues increase variance and slow you down to the point where it might not even be faster than just taking the all supercharger route through Childress.

As I've said before, take care in using EVTripPlanner or EV Trip Optimizer or even the Nav screen to estimate range on I-10 going through Texas. They are all based on Google Maps average speed data, and Google thinks the average speed on that road is 73 mph. Maybe it is, but it probably isn't the average speed you are going to go.

Update 4/6/17...

Not a great photo, but workers were running cables and the Tesla boxes (sorry - I don't know the proper terminology) were installed. I spoke with them and they said there is no definite start date, but they're close.
IMG_0956.JPG

Oh, it's hard to see but there's a green transformer (I think that's what it is) in the picture that wasn't there last week.
Yep. That is great! Nice job.

That is one big hurdle out of the way. Now, once the wiring is done, Tesla just has to get a Tech out with a Tesla to do the commissioning. That often takes some time, since there are holes in the route to get there. They made it to Van Horn, so they can make it to El Paso.

Yep. That is great! Nice job.

That is one big hurdle out of the way. Now, once the wiring is done, Tesla just has to get a Tech out with a Tesla to do the commissioning. That often takes some time, since there are holes in the route to get there. They made it to Van Horn, so they can make it to El Paso.
They will do what it takes, although that can take a while. While I watched a supercharger tech finish commisioning our county's supercharger last summer, he told me his tale of commissioning superchargers along Montana's I-90 in 2014. It involved long charging stops in isolated RV parks.

A few photos messaged to me from a friend this evening. Stall striping still needs to be done. Site testing and general clean up as well. Great progress so far, so an April "It's live" post may to be possible. Time will tell!

Note: post 20 of this thread>> Rim Road not Ridge Road.

Attachments

• IMG_9420.JPG
    IMG_9420.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_9421.JPG
    IMG_9421.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_9422.JPG
    IMG_9422.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_9423.JPG
    IMG_9423.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_9424.JPG
    IMG_9424.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_9425.JPG
    IMG_9425.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I stopped by today. They were power washing prior to painting lines for spaces. They said they will be done by end of week. Awaiting final city inspection after that and okay from Tesla to come flick the switch. Interesting thing is there is no enclosure for the transformers. I confirmed they are not required to build one there.

Will upload pics as soon as I can.

I stopped by today. They were power washing prior to painting lines for spaces. They said they will be done by end of week. Awaiting final city inspection after that and okay from Tesla to come flick the switch. Interesting thing is there is no enclosure for the transformers. I confirmed they are not required to build one there.
Requirement or not, I would think Tesla would want to make it harder to vandalize or steal stuff, as has happened in California.

I may be approaching curmudgeon status(soon be 75) but it seems to me Tesla is not very aggressive about finding new locations, particularly between El Paso and Casa Grande. Nor do they appear to be very demanding of progress once they have an approved permit for a construction site.