Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Escanaba, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure the in-car nav uses Google Maps, not OSM.
Quite a few post on this topic.
Tesla has gone through several sources. Originally they used Navigon for map data. They displayed (and still do) a Google Maps overlay in the center console of the Model S and Model X. But the cars need to have local map data in order for navigation to work when there’s no data connection.
The most recent Tesla navigation system is proprietary, and reportedly was built using open source software from Mapbox and Valhalla [via OpenStreetMap]. The overlay map is still from Google, and especially on cars with just one screen, it gives the impression to some people that the navigation is from Google. But it never was.

Last edited:
I see North Dakota chargers are opening up. It looks like the UP will soon officially be the last route to open up in the continental US. Who do we e-mail?
I would email or tweet to Meijer. The vast majority of superchargers in MI are at a Meijers and the permit for Escanaba is for a Meijers. Even better, find someone who knows someone at Meijer.

Reactions: scottf200
The "official" place to contact is supercharger[@]tesla.com, but the last time I contacted them about the Esky SC I got what appeared to be a canned non-answer. Maybe if enough of us send an email someone will notice that we're the last corridor in the country to get complete superchargers!

Reactions: Calimenti
The "official" place to contact is supercharger[@]tesla.com, but the last time I contacted them about the Esky SC I got what appeared to be a canned non-answer. Maybe if enough of us send an email someone will notice that we're the last corridor in the country to get complete superchargers!

supercharger[@]tesla.com is not monitored by Tesla anymore. You have to leave a message through the support page.

I’m writing to Meijer’s. https://help.meijer.com/s/contact
They’ve been very very good to Tesla in Michigan.
Thanks. I just sent the following note via that contact.
I drive a Tesla and always appreciate having Tesla Supercharger access at Meijer stores while traveling. Whenever charging I show my appreciation by buying something in the store (snacks, drinks, etc). We travel thru Escanaba MI but it currently requires an overnight stay at a hotel with a charger. We are looking forward to charging and shopping at the Escanaba Meijer. It has taken many months (> 1 yr) for the build. Many many Tesla owners are waiting to visit Meijers there. There is a Tesla forum thread that talks about it regularly. Permit. Record: ELEC19-05936 / 505 N 26TH ST, ESCANABA DELTA MI 49829 --- thanks in advance for anything you can do to move it along! Sincerely, <snip> - Chicagoland

Reactions: Big Earl
"The last route?" As defined by whom?

Now with the North Dakota route open, I seriously doubt that there's any two supercharges in the lower 48 that could have the trip distance reduced anywhere near 372 miles by opening single a new path of charges, and in the this case, it's only a single charger. Even a northern Montana route will only save 216 miles from Glendive to Shelby, and that's cutting off a lot of land.

Reactions: scottf200
Anyone have luck contacting Meijer? .

I got a response. I think they might act.

“Thank you for contacting Meijer regarding Escanaba Store and Tesla Superchargers. We value your opinion, and always welcome your suggestions.

Meijer continually strives to find new ways to improve our customers’ shopping experience. Your concern will be forwarded to the appropriate department at Meijer and we will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we plan for future projects and enhancements.

Thank you again for taking the time to write, and for shopping with Meijer. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Carla
Meijer Customer Care“

I got a response. I think they might act.

“Thank you for contacting Meijer regarding Escanaba Store and Tesla Superchargers. We value your opinion, and always welcome your suggestions.

Meijer continually strives to find new ways to improve our customers’ shopping experience. Your concern will be forwarded to the appropriate department at Meijer and we will certainly take your feedback into consideration as we plan for future projects and enhancements.

Thank you again for taking the time to write, and for shopping with Meijer. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Carla
Meijer Customer Care“
Not to rain on your parade, but that appears to be a canned response. Wouldn't get your hopes up.

Reactions: outdoors