Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Escanaba, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Marquette on Tesla's map as coming sometime before the heat death of the universe I would think eventually Houghton would get one as it too is getting a Meijer. That would make Iron Mountain a good candidate as a bridge for N/S between Marquette/Houghton and Green Bay. Ironwood is a good link between Wausau/Iron Mountain and Duluth. Very far down the road once Houghton would be online and if there is sufficient demand for Wausau to Houghton, I would think a charger in Rhinelander WI, Eagle River WI, or Watersmeet MI would be a good bridge.

All this is assuming that Tesla can really bring down the cost of building superchargers with V3.

That said, Iron River MI is where I have family so that would be great and it's smack dab in between Ironwood and Escanaba however it does not really work for N/S and is only useful for E/W.

upload_2020-7-1_9-43-41.png

Edit: Forgot to add that Naubinway and St. Ignace would be good locations to the East of Escanaba though I did include them on my wishful thinking roadmap.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what do folks think an eventual US2 supercharger route beyond Escanaba will be? Escanaba to Crystal Falls (or Watersmeet?) to Ironwood (or Ashland, WI?) to Duluth?

Crystal River, MI and Ironwood, MI look good, although the spacing isn't ideal.
In cold places, Tesla normally looks for 100 mile spacing or less. But as long as the speed isn't too high, that should be OK.

Escanaba, MI
~75 miles
Crystal River, MI is US-2/US-141.
~97 miles
Ironwood, MI is US-2/end US-51
~ 108 miles
Duluth, MN

Watersmeet, MI would also be an "ideal" location because it's US-2/US-45. But one for future density, rather than just basic coverage.

Called Meijer corporate in Grand Rapids yesterday and spoke with Everett about getting SCs going at Escanaba and Marquette. He seemed genuinely interested in EVs and would forward my comments. Comments included me shopping Meijer for over 50 years, how appreciative we are they have so many SCs and how it would be great PR to share on media how supportive of EVs they are and have finished a SC that completes the biggest stretch remaining in the lower 48. And furthermore, makes Northern Michigan accessible to Wisconsin and MN, not to mention those of us who would love to do the Lake Michigan circle tour in our Tesla! Would be nice if the messages got to the right person(s)!
But I wouldn't hold my breath--it took many calls to get a Meijer in Chicagoland--I even told them a really good intersection to put it at and they did so 18 years later!

Called Meijer corporate in Grand Rapids yesterday and spoke with Everett about getting SCs going at Escanaba and Marquette. He seemed genuinely interested in EVs and would forward my comments. Comments included me shopping Meijer for over 50 years, how appreciative we are they have so many SCs and how it would be great PR to share on media how supportive of EVs they are and have finished a SC that completes the biggest stretch remaining in the lower 48. And furthermore, makes Northern Michigan accessible to Wisconsin and MN, not to mention those of us who would love to do the Lake Michigan circle tour in our Tesla! Would be nice if the messages got to the right person(s)!
But I wouldn't hold my breath--it took many calls to get a Meijer in Chicagoland--I even told them a really good intersection to put it at and they did so 18 years later!

Thanks for following up with them. Years ago I talked to someone at Escanaba Meijer and after asking the delay of getting construction started they said it was due to budget. Scratching my head on that one. Did they provide a reasons for the delay? Kind of unusual given when the permit was granted at this site.

• Informative
Reactions: Calimenti
With Marquette on Tesla's map as coming sometime before the heat death of the universe I would think eventually Houghton would get one as it too is getting a Meijer. That would make Iron Mountain a good candidate as a bridge for N/S between Marquette/Houghton and Green Bay. Ironwood is a good link between Wausau/Iron Mountain and Duluth. Very far down the road once Houghton would be online and if there is sufficient demand for Wausau to Houghton, I would think a charger in Rhinelander WI, Eagle River WI, or Watersmeet MI would be a good bridge.

All this is assuming that Tesla can really bring down the cost of building superchargers with V3.

That said, Iron River MI is where I have family so that would be great and it's smack dab in between Ironwood and Escanaba however it does not really work for N/S and is only useful for E/W.

View attachment 559081

Edit: Forgot to add that Naubinway and St. Ignace would be good locations to the East of Escanaba though I did include them on my wishful thinking roadmap.

I propose the "Iron Crossing" of US2 from Escanaba to Duluth, with supercharger stops in Iron Mountain (MI), Iron River (MI), Ironwood (MI), and Iron River (WI). Are you listening, Tesla? :)

Crystal River, MI and Ironwood, MI look good, although the spacing isn't ideal.
In cold places, Tesla normally looks for 100 mile spacing or less. But as long as the speed isn't too high, that should be OK.

Escanaba, MI
~75 miles
Crystal River, MI is US-2/US-141.
~97 miles
Ironwood, MI is US-2/end US-51
~ 108 miles
Duluth, MN
I came to the same conclusions listed here independently.

jordanX said:
it took many calls to get a Meijer in Chicagoland--I even told them a really good intersection to put it at and they did so 18 years later!
I'm sure they finally put one there due to your phone calls.

correlation is not causation. But. There is a Meijer’s there, and we want a Supercharger in Escanaba! So I’m glad @jordanX talked to Everett. It could happen, and I’d credit @jordanX efforts!

thx.

Reactions: mrau
Not done yet! I haven't called Meijer's in Escanaba and Marquette! Especially pointing out that Michigan Tech is up there! Actually thinking of having my sister visit both manager's next week on her trip up there to tell them I and so many, can't get around up there in our Tesla's, let alone make the Lake Michigan Circle tour without their superchargers. Tickling a few eardrums can't hurt and might work! Six months ago I emailed the person who wrote an article about Bismarck SC opening last fall suggesting a follow up piece! Probably didn't do anything but I bet she asked a few questions...

Cant wait for this charger to open. Living in Greenbay, this would open up the route to Mackinaw.

I took the tip from JSergeant, there is a Comfort Inn in Escanaba with two Tesla destination chargers.

Out front, on the left corner of the building.

If you are tired (and check in) or PATIENT Enough, you can go either way on the South face of the Peninsula - TODAY.

Attachments

• CBFFFFDC-3CF7-4885-BBBF-89025616CCE1.jpeg
    CBFFFFDC-3CF7-4885-BBBF-89025616CCE1.jpeg
    803 KB · Views: 69
Are the destination chargers only for overnight guests? I was hoping I could get charge while getting a bite to eat at the hotel bar/restaurant.

If you sat there for a bit destination charging while eating, might not be a problem.

I socially distanced, checked in, brought my stuff to my room, and went to bed.
I don't know if any dining facilities might be open or available...

The Quality Inn did have a large room available for use for a Rental fee.

Dependent on range of your car, how full your pack is when you leave WI or Mackinaw, and how you manage your driving speed, you might be able to make it without stopping for an additional 40 or 60 miles of range charge.

The destination charge is a very nice feature to know about as a possible supplemental charge.

If you ask politely beforehand, they might give you better consideration for allowing you to use it.

Last edited: