Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I’ll likely start out conservative and up the speed to the posted limit if consumption looks good. Will post my results here for future reference. Of course if Fort Stockton was built, then it would be open to all battery capacities and in all weather most likely.

Reactions: BerTX
So what about taking a detour to the SC in Midland? Is it worth it to not have to putter along I-10 at 55mph?

A better route planner says the following for Austin to El Paso in a S75D:

Reference Speed 100%, allow reduced speeds - 12hr 33min (587 miles)
Reference Speed 100%, do not allow reduced speeds - 13hr 55min (689 miles)

With a goal of arriving at each SpC with 5% left (which is pretty tight).

I have been watching this thread for a while now as we plan a trip to Sedona AZ early next year. The trip will include a leg from Austin to Fort Stockton (through Junction & Ozona Superchargers), staying overnight in Fort Stockton and then on to El Paso (through Van Horn SC).
The challenge, of course, is finding a suitable charging solution for the overnight stay in Fort Stockton. No hotel would seem to offer Destination Charging or an equivalent 50 amp service; leaving me to consider leaving the car overnight at one of the several RV Parks while we stay at a nearby hotel.
I am hoping you travelers familiar with this route could offer some experience to inform the decision.
Also, as this will be our first trip out west in the Tesla, perhaps you could offer some tips when traveling long distance, uphill, against a generally prevailing headwind.
Thanks

Thanks. I’ll likely start out conservative and up the speed to the posted limit if consumption looks good. Will post my results here for future reference. Of course if Fort Stockton was built, then it would be open to all battery capacities and in all weather most likely.
It's worth mentioning that it was rather warmer weather at the time. Rainy that day, but not, you know, snow. :D

I have been watching this thread for a while now as we plan a trip to Sedona AZ early next year. The trip will include a leg from Austin to Fort Stockton (through Junction & Ozona Superchargers), staying overnight in Fort Stockton and then on to El Paso (through Van Horn SC).
The challenge, of course, is finding a suitable charging solution for the overnight stay in Fort Stockton. No hotel would seem to offer Destination Charging or an equivalent 50 amp service; leaving me to consider leaving the car overnight at one of the several RV Parks while we stay at a nearby hotel.
I am hoping you travelers familiar with this route could offer some experience to inform the decision.
Also, as this will be our first trip out west in the Tesla, perhaps you could offer some tips when traveling long distance, uphill, against a generally prevailing headwind.
Thanks
Change your route slightly to stay overnight at the very nice BW Swiss Chalet Hotel in Pecos. They have a destination charger.

wow.. interesting. A 310 range mile car, cannot do a 228 miles trip on average daily driving conditions, even with a bit of tail wind?

Welcome to the real world with elevation (even gradual), temperature (not even below freezing), and a reasonable speed for the given conditions.

Another surprise can be crosswinds. One would think these would be no huge deal... au contraire.

In any case, I've often gotten less than 70% of rated range during a combination of the aforementioned conditions - e.g., through the Badlands (South Dakota) eastbound or, for sure, through West Texas into New Mexico (westbound).

187/274* miles = 68% (TX --> NM westbound)

171/271** miles = 62% (SD (Badlands) eastbound)

Neither of those were as bad as a week of short urban and suburban trips (some hilly, some not) with moderate HVAC usage:

122 miles from 79% = 154(/294***) = 53% (schlepping around SoCal)

As I've said, the Model 3 owners in high $/kW areas are in for a bit of a rude awakening as they find that their in-town efficiency will often be no better than that of a quality hybr*d (still can't bring myself to type that word). They'll just have to settle for rock solid safety and a great, non-stinky, non-noisy (except on the highway) driving experience instead.

* S85, newish pack
** S85, pack after ~30K miles
*** S90, newish pack

HoJo: An RV park with rental cabins or trailers will work fine. You may have to rent both a charging space and lodging, but without a SC or destination charger I don't know what other options are available.

Tesla let us down on this one - don't know why and they don't seem to care about us in this case.

Hey Tesla: Silence is not feedback. Silence is not communication.

Do not understand your corporate policy in this case.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Until we do have a Supercharger in Ft Stockton what would really be helpful would be somewhat scientific test by someone(s) in a Model S 100 in the following conditions (Westbound and Eastbound):
1. Driving at 80 mph in various recorded headwind conditions.
2. Repeat same as 1 but at 70 mph.
3. Repeat same as 1 but at 60 mph.

What is total kWh used for Ozona to Van Horn trip. Record Speed, Temp, Wind Speed (relative to your direction of travel). Then on the same trip tuck in behind a Semi using the follow distance of 1 on the Autopilot and record the same. I say this because I suspect that following closely behind a semi would greatly reduce wind drag from both the travel speed and the headwind (driving 65 mph in a 30 mph headwind would give a 95 mph relative air drag).

If enough data points can be collected then we will be able to determine how many kWh will be needed for both East and West bound passage without having to stop at Ft Stockton.

The object of this exercise would be to determine under what conditions someone like me, in a Model S 75D, or even a S 60, would be able to make this trip without stopping. I know that I could probably make it by driving only 55 mph, depending on headwind, but a safer bet would be to tuck behind a semi traveling 65 mph or so. However, I would not know how many kWh I would use until I do the trip myself. In this case I really would rather not run out of juice a few miles short.

Thanks for your input.

I hate to point out the obvious, but Tesla have to remain silent on progress. If they did provide information then someone from this forum would do something stupid and start calling the local planning offices every day.
Don’t say it doesn’t happen because some people think this is helpful.
So, Tesla remain silent because it’s safer.

It's too bad for Ft Stockton that this supercharger isn't in place now- We're going to pass to the north via Midland - So Ft Stockton will miss out on a night's lodging, and the meals that accompany it. We would have stayed there on the way back too. So two nights lodging and meals. How short sighted of the leaders of Ft Stockton to not get with it and find a place to put a 6 to 10 stall supercharger. Just dumbfounded that this place hasn't gotten it's act together in over 2 years now. Frustrating. At least with Midland on line, we can avoid going all the way to Albuquerque and Oklahoma City to get to Houston from Arizona. Sorry for the venting...

This may be of use.

In Fort Stockton the Flying G RV Park 3601 Dickerson Blvd has 16 spaces with 50 Amp service.
432 290 8298. $20.00. Call ahead. The mgt. said they do fill up. 10 spaces were taken yesterday.

Right next door.

The Sleep Inn has rooms for $96.00 up if you book on web site. 3401 Dickerson Blvd. 336 836 8338.
$35.00 for pets. Call ahead, they also do fill up.

I have not been there. Just spoke to both yesterday. Check them out on the net.

Minor

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and kavyboy
Twiglett, I guess what you see as obvious I see as ill-advised or just wrong.
Tesla does not have to remain silent - they choose to.

I don't think Tesla does anything just because "it's safer".

Anyway, thank you for your comment.
Ugh, no. It's been proven in other threads where multiple would call the hotel/ establishment daily asking for updates. And of course the poor desk people answering the phone have no clue.

I dated the girl who answered the phones where a super charger got put in. It does happen.

LCR1: Thank you for your comment.
IMHO, If Tesla were more communicative there would be no need to call the location under consideration.

I agree with this statement. Even more so once construction has actually started!!! There really isn't anything to hide once the backhoe starts digging.

Heck, they may even take out ads in the local news auctioning off SpC spots to local biz. But that may force offering more info on the terms and conditions that they want to keep private.

But I do also see a side of communication that may hinder negotiation, or provide ammo for anyone against the SpC if they are still hunting for spots or trying to get approval. It appears that Ft. Stockton is still in this sort of phase. There probably are not a bunch of local Tesla owners in Ft. Stockton to help back them up.

Tesla communicated everything you needed to know in the SC map, where it says "coming by X date" As much as I complain about the lack of super chargers in fort stockton I don't start calling everyone asking where they are. Tesla knows where they need to go and I don't have to like when they decide to put them in. I have to drive an hour to the nearest one and I live in the 4th largest city in the country, pisses me off but I don't message Tesla telling them to switch around their grand plan because I want it faster.

The bad part is when the permits get pulled and the phone calls start, the worst is when someone breaks ground and you have to field over a dozen calls a day of people asking for an update. I don't blame Tesla for saying nothing, people keep harassing local businesses and investing employee time into updating dozens of charing sites is retarded. It's on the list and barring anything like fort stockton it will get built in the time frame they say.

Bothering local businesses and other stuff like this is why people hate Tesla drivers.

Reactions: TexLaw