Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:)
upload_2017-12-6_8-1-33.png

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
I'm not subscribing to this conspiracy theory.
I'm NOT saying it isn't so; I simply haven't the evidence to back it up.

If it were the case, however, it is unfortunate indeed that this bottleneck occurs in one of Texas's very few large counties. Ft. Stockton is the seat of the state's second-largest county, Pecos, with an area of 4,764 sq mi. (adjacent Brewster is #1, with 6,193 sq mi). For reference, each of these is comparable to Connecticut, at 5,543 sq mi. And a representative county map is here:
Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 7.23.03 AM.png

At least there is a Supercharger in Midland- So the detour is only about 70 miles to go around Ft Stockton and while it's a pain- at least you can make it without going up to ABQ and over to OKC At least that is my plan for this trip to Texas. Wish me luck.

We would have stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn- Which I've done in the past a few times. I even talked at length with the Hotel owner last time about the supercharger network and the destination charger program. She seemed genuinely interested- This was a couple of years ago though. so take it with a grain sand

You really can't blame businesses for defending their income stream and legacy. The bigger the stakes the harder the fight. What would you do about Tesla if car dealerships were the source of your income and the basis of your legacy?

So you need credible sources about organized opposition to Tesla? I understand that, so here's a start:

This from the Dallas Morning News article below:
San Antonio dealer B.J. “Red” McCombs has said the state’s franchise dealer law is “as sacred as Paul’s letter to the Corinthians.”
Likewise this from the Governor, same article:
Last summer, Gov. Greg Abbott told Bloomberg Radio that the state has “a very effective automobile sector that seems like it’s working quite well.”

When cars break down, they need repair, the Republican governor noted. Abbott questioned the ability of Tesla, maker of a niche product, to provide that service.

More from that article on opposition to Tesla:
......... U.S. Rep. Roger Williams of Weatherford and former Republican national committeeman Bill Crocker of Austin........... Williams is a car dealer, and Crocker is a lawyer who represents car dealers.

There’s at least one dealer, if not more, in every lawmaker’s district, making them a powerful lot.

Texas auto dealers receive Tesla-sized dent from state GOP | Politics | Dallas News

The following links detail the delays Tesla has encountered in (relatively) nearby San Antonio, where Red McCombs has a home.
City of San Antonio - File #: 15-1194
Tesla proposal pulled from City Council meeting
Tesla nears opening day for its San Antonio showroom

Organized opposition to Tesla in Texas is pretty well documented if you take the time to dig into it.

I think it is well known that dead people in Texas elected Lyndon Johnson to the Senate in 1948.
With that in mind, why do you think it unlikely that modern businesses try to stall Tesla's expansion here?

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Perhaps a gofundme effort is in order where we purchase some crap land and offer it to Tesla. :D

Moody Rd For Sale - Fort Stockton, TX | Trulia

402 Mc Intyre Dr For Sale - Fort Stockton, TX | Trulia

I like the Moody Rd site (it is mis-located on Trulia, it's actually NNE of Ft Stockton just north of I-10). Might be low on power availability, but 5 acres could make a decent solar farm with Powerpacks. The solar could provide most of the power with the lower power utility feed backing it up.

228 miles from Ozano to Vanhorn.

is it doable in M3 LR in all weather conditions?
Depends on your definition of "doable". At posted speed limit? No, not with frequent 30 mph headwinds, especially.

Edit: just ran it through EV Trip Optimizer (which takes weather into account). For today, with a mild ENE (some tailwind) and averaging 73 mph you won't make it in your M3LR, short by 7%. If you go tomorrow afternoon with a 13 mph headwind, you'll fall short by 22%. EVTO thinks you could make it tomorrow if you drove 55 mph.

Last edited:
wow.. interesting. A 310 range mile car, cannot do a 228 miles trip on average daily driving conditions, even with a bit of tail wind?

According to an internet planning tool. Although, to be fair, a 75 to 80mph continuous highway blast down I10 isn't the same as an MCT procedure run. But it begs the question of whether or not the right efficiency curves are known yet for the M3, in this case.

Depends on your definition of "doable". At posted speed limit? No, not with frequent 30 mph headwinds, especially.

Edit: just ran it through EV Trip Optimizer (which takes weather into account). For today, with a mild ENE (some tailwind) and averaging 73 mph you won't make it in your M3LR, short by 7%. If you go tomorrow afternoon with a 13 mph headwind, you'll fall short by 22%. EVTO thinks you could make it tomorrow if you drove 55 mph.
Ok- this making me rethink my plans for ozona to van horn in my p100d 10 days from now.

Should I plan on driving 55 mph instead of 70 mph or diverting to Iran energy house? I wasn’t aware of headwinds or ev trip optimizer.

Ok- this making me rethink my plans for ozona to van horn in my p100d 10 days from now.

Should I plan on driving 55 mph instead of 70 mph or diverting to Iran energy house? I wasn’t aware of headwinds or ev trip optimizer.
By far the most power usage at highway speeds is from the drag that he air puts on the car. The faster you drive, the amount of drag becomes much greater -- that's why driving slower gives you better range.

If there is a wind blowing against you, it is almost as if you are driving faster by that amount of wind speed -- going 70 mph against a 15 mph wind is about the same amount of energy used as driving 85 mph.

On this particular segment of road, you are also driving uphill, and his also takes a significant amount of power.

As far as diverting to Iraan, if going east to west, your battery will be mostly full still. You will not really be able to put enough int the battery t make the extra miles worthwhile. You will get there faster by slowing down. But if you do go to Iraan, check out the Mesquite Wood BBQ, and split a meal with someone -- way too much food for one...

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

I've mentioned it before on here somewhere, but I was able to drive a S P100D from ozona to van horn starting with 100% SOC and driving 5mph over with no other mileage saving tricks and make it there with around 10% remaining. YMMV of course :p

Reactions: BerTX