Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only looked at the travel centers and motels I listed. There are many other potential SC sites in Fort Stockton I didn't check (I've seen Superchargers built in/by public parks, shopping strips, museums, car washes, police stations, visitor centers, and restaurants of all types). I was traveling west at 4am yesterday, contending with headwinds and the elevation change of 1700 ft. from the 227 miles distance between the Ozona and the Van Horn Superchargers in my P85 that just turned 100,000 miles. I couldn't afford wasting range driving around Fort Stockton more than I did.

I want to acknowledge Ira Yates for his extraordinary generosity. He owns the 70 amp ClipperCreek charger in Iraan that he continues to make available for public use, 24/7, at no charge. I've used his charger multiple times when traveling west on I-10 through this part of Texas. THANKS IRA!
If you see a pending Collin Street Bakery permit.... Superchargers will follow in Texas

• Funny
Reactions: bollar
Looks like the far north central passage may complete before the south passage if this activity continues.
And the Canadian southern passage along Canada 1 is getting permits.
ND just got its first two permits.

The question is how long will these permits fester before construction starts.
Now that it is spring, perhaps they will finish by the end of the summer?

There should be a Tesla rep responsible for the Pecos and FS chargers. Would be nice to find out how active they are in pursuing these completions. I met the Southwest person who said she was in charge of getting SCs built in this area (not sure the exact territory that SW entails). But if we have one covering Arizona, there must be one for western Texas unless they quit and haven't been replaced.

Last edited:
Disappointing that the Fort Stockton supercharger ball has been this dropped for this long.

Perhaps the strategy is to delay for another 2 years as further incentive to “upgrade” to the Model 3 LR (or to the S100D) for the additional range.

Maybe Balmorhea or Sheffield will come through. A shame, since Fort Stockton is the perfect location now.

C’mon, Warren, you always wanted your Flying J in the middle of West Texas to have a Tesla Supercharger site, right?

Am leaning toward up to 2 hours of charging in Balmorhea (L2) and a nap as necessary and just calling it a day.

Disappointing that the Fort Stockton supercharger ball has been this dropped for this long.

Perhaps the strategy is to delay for another 2 years as further incentive to “upgrade” to the Model 3 LR (or to the S100D) for the additional range.

Maybe Balmorhea or Sheffield will come through. A shame, since Fort Stockton is the perfect location now.

C’mon, Warren, you always wanted your Flying J in the middle of West Texas to have a Tesla Supercharger site, right?

Am leaning toward up to 2 hours of charging in Balmorhea (L2) and a nap as necessary and just calling it a day.
or drive 55 mph and try not to cause an accident

or drive 55 mph and try not to cause an accident

I would consider it a colossal personal failing to have survived this many years of SoCal and other traffic only to get rear-ended in the hind end of Texas.

And you know if it happens all they’ll report is that the car had AP engaged before it was rear-ended by a truck doing 90mph. And that an orange* and an espresso maker were found on scene.

* I kid about the orange. I can’t bring myself to wedge citrus in an otherwise perfectly good steering apparatus.

In other news, this just in from the Fort Stockton RV Park via PlugShare: (image attached). That’s a 6-hour round trip delay added to a 52-hour trip. C’mon, Tesla - close this gap already.

EEBCE6DF-5541-4AE8-8ABE-AC809128E7EF.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: BerTX and tmoz
I have begun carrying my own espresso machine suspecting none of these hotels offer a decent cappuccino. Jk, jokes aside, is a forced night sleep at Ft Stockton while it’s built (if it’s built) really that bad? Let’s just hope it’s built and powered, the way things are going. Cash used to bring the Model 3 into production... that’s a topic for another thread.

I just completed my 8-week trip to the west coast, 13,000 miles in my model X90D starting from Atlanta. On the way out I charged at Ozona and stayed overnight at BW in Pecos using their L2 charger. Then drove onto Carlsbad Caverns for a visit and had enough to drive to Van Horn. Could not make it to El Paso. The chargers at Van Horn and El Paso were at/near a Hampton Inn. On the return trip starting from Tucson, I made it to Van Horn in 8 hours and drove another 2 hours to Ft. Stockton with 2 time zone changes, so it was a long day. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ft. Stockton and used their 110VAC near the front entrance overnight to get another 36 miles. I drove between 70-75 mph in order to make it to Ozona. I ended up with 6% left. Placing a SC near the /at the Hampton Inn would be a good location as it is just off I-10. Only problem on my trip was getting in line to charge in San Diego, even on a Sunday.

We are definitely on a path to an SC in Fort Stockton.
Celebration: Fort Stockton, Fort Davis, Marfa, Alpine: Please investigate possible sites and post your thoughts.
Target date: June 1 +/- 1 month.
Wow, I vote for minus one month, which is the day I'll be there passing through. With my luck, we'll miss it by a day and it will be finished but not commissioned...

Recently we completed a 2800+ mile road trip with two little kids from houston to phoenix on our MS75, late 2016. I-20 on the way out and I-10 on the way back.
On the return we stayed overnite at the Hampton Inn, Van Horn. We had a scary story about the SC cable stuck in the car. It was the next day morning when the service center guy from Florida helped me out over the phone. Details are available at my post #125, link: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2651876/). Other than that it was a great trip.

Onward leg:
We left at 94% charge from the Midland SC towards Van Horn. Till Pecos we were at the posted speed limit of 80mph on I-20, with estimated charge on arrival at 12%. After Pecos we started getting warnings from the onboard computer to keep the speed limit at 70mph. The headwinds from Midland to Pecos were in the 10-15mph range. Having the teslawinds.com browser app and the link to flattestroute.com in the car browser was very helpful. We did draft behind semi-trailers for some stretches. We were driving into headwinds of up to 20mph as we neared the I-10 junction. Although the car was estimating 8% charge on arrival at Van Horn, we were worried while climbing up the mountain pass, so dropped the speed to 65mph for the remaining 50mi to Van Horn. Arrived with 15% charge left! Maybe we lost 15-20 min of time, but it was worth it. An SC at Pecos is a must need going west on I-20.

Return Leg:
We left Van Horn with 100% (MS75, late 2016) towards Ozona. We made it to Ozona with 19% charge left – the big drop in elevation of more than 1700 ft and steady tail-winds of 12-20 mph helped us a lot. Having the teslawinds.com browser app and the link to flattestroute.com in the car browser was very helpful. The car effectively consumed 190 mi of equivalent charge for the 227 mi trip. Guess the weather helped us a lot. We did drive initially at 60mph upto the I-20 junction, then afterwards picking up to 65, 70 and 75 mph at regular intervals, of course keeping an eye on the estimated remaining charge! The last 30 mile we drove at the speed limit of 80mph. We did not get any warnings from the onboard computer, whose estimation of remaining charge was accurate all along. The SC at Fort Stockton is definitely needed for a much relaxed, peaceful drive in this segment. The straight drive at a lower speed from Van Horn to Ozona, definitely saved us 120mi (and at least 1.5hrs) of detour via Midland TX.

Thanks to BerTx, Charlier Meyer and other regulars in this forum and thread, we were able to plan and chart our road trip through the west texas SC dry pockets. We did plan for a stop at Balmorhea City Hall NEMA 14-50 charger and the Iraan wall in the hole NEMA 14-50, but with two little kids it was easy to just coast into Ozona at lower speed, and then let them play at at the charge stop.

Thanks to BerTx, Charlier Meyer and other regulars in this forum and thread, we were able to plan and chart our road trip through the west texas SC dry pockets. We did plan for a stop at Balmorhea City Hall NEMA 14-50 charger and the Iraan wall in the hole NEMA 14-50, but with two little kids it was easy to just coast into Ozona at lower speed, and then let them play at at the charge stop.
Glad you were successful! Most of the issue with this leg of the trip is going east to west, which is uphill and usually against a strong prevailing west wind. Your west-east trip is considerably less stressful.

I just completed my 8-week trip to the west coast, 13,000 miles in my model X90D starting from Atlanta. On the way out I charged at Ozona and stayed overnight at BW in Pecos using their L2 charger. Then drove onto Carlsbad Caverns for a visit and had enough to drive to Van Horn. Could not make it to El Paso. The chargers at Van Horn and El Paso were at/near a Hampton Inn. On the return trip starting from Tucson, I made it to Van Horn in 8 hours and drove another 2 hours to Ft. Stockton with 2 time zone changes, so it was a long day. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ft. Stockton and used their 110VAC near the front entrance overnight to get another 36 miles. I drove between 70-75 mph in order to make it to Ozona. I ended up with 6% left. Placing a SC near the /at the Hampton Inn would be a good location as it is just off I-10. Only problem on my trip was getting in line to charge in San Diego, even on a Sunday.
That San Diego charger at the Qualcom parking lot is crazy. Plus most of the eateries across the street were closed when I visited on a Sunday. SD needs at least 2 more SCs. The one downtown will help a lot when completed. Teslas are quite common out that way too, which is part of the charging problem. Makes it more understandable why some of our desired remote spots are put on the back burner - but is it money that they are on the backburner, local gov officials, or Tesla planners that can only handle so many locations at once?

That San Diego charger at the Qualcom parking lot is crazy. Plus most of the eateries across the street were closed when I visited on a Sunday. SD needs at least 2 more SCs. The one downtown will help a lot when completed. Teslas are quite common out that way too, which is part of the charging problem. Makes it more understandable why some of our desired remote spots are put on the back burner - but is it money that they are on the backburner, local gov officials, or Tesla planners that can only handle so many locations at once?

Mr. Holy Gao right across the street has really good Chinese food. Open Sunday 12-10 pm, but doesn’t help if you arrive early in the am.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz