Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that ft Stockton is the biggest supercharger hole in America now in terms of volume and need yes?

One might argue that San Diego has the most underserved owners at present. And that won't change all that much with the parking garage urban SC coming downtown, either.

However, until we get Fort Stockton or similar, yep yep, there is no direct all-weather (snow tires and chains not required year-round) transcontinental SC route on the planet. It's better than it was (hanging that hard right before Houston into tornado and black ice country was painful), but it's not yet optimal and not yet done.

The limitation with DCs as a stopgap, as much as I appreciate everyone's efforts to get those in place, is that they don't scale, and they tend to get ICEd more than SC spaces.

Any port in a storm of course, but unless and until we get fast charging along that stretch of West Texas, either we risk getting rear-ended driving well under the posted limit, or we burn time both ways in Iraan or Balmorhea. And since the mayor of Balmorhea considers a DC to be a low priority, I'm not all that intent upon spending dollars in Balmorhea.

It's annoying to add hours to what is already a 52-hour trip. It can turn 4 days each way into 5 days each way, in other words. It's not just losing a couple hours here and there - it adds hundreds of dollars to a trip and can impact domestic harmony on top of that. There's not a lot of slack in the schedule, so delays matter. Such as a 480-day permit delay *polite cough*.

I do like the idea upthread of an urban SC on a pallet at an RV park or truck stop as a stopgap. 4 pedestals would be quite appealing. Works for Cheyenne and Lusk all but one weekend a year, after all.

However, until we get Fort Stockton or similar, yep yep, there is no direct all-weather (snow tires and chains not required year-round) transcontinental SC route on the planet. It's better than it was (hanging that hard right before Houston into tornado and black ice country was painful), but it's not yet optimal and not yet done.
Fort Stockton is important, yes, especially so for you, me and others on the corridor, but let's be quite clear that I-10 is not an all-weather route. It has been closed for four days so far this year because of ice and it was closed more days than any other Interstate in 2017 and 2016 because of weather. Add that it is among the most fatal Interstates per mile driven on only crazy people (that's me, possibly you) will actually drive it more than once.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to meeting you at the grand opening, wherever that winds up being.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
It seems that ft Stockton is the biggest supercharger hole in America now in terms of volume and need yes?

Basically everyone thinks this about a particular location near them. I follow SC threads in locations all across the world and in every country, region and state there is a person who thinks that Tesla is specifically focusing on and intentionally withholding superchargers in their location.

Chuq: thank you for your post. In this case I am now inclined to think Tesla dropped the ball in Fort Stockton rather than any other factor.
Don't know why - just my semi-informed opinion.

buttershrimp: yep. Fort Stockton is the biggest hole on the continent. IMHO Tesla should let us know why.

My Tesla friends: Silence us NOT feedback. If you don't let us know what the hell is going on we'll just make things up. Just plain old human nature. Please: what's going on?

Fort Stockton is important, yes, especially so for you, me and others on the corridor, but let's be quite clear that I-10 is not an all-weather route. It has been closed for four days so far this year because of ice and it was closed more days than any other Interstate in 2017 and 2016 because of weather. Add that it is among the most fatal Interstates per mile driven on only crazy people (that's me, possibly you) will actually drive it more than once.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to meeting you at the grand opening, wherever that winds up being.
Wow, Most fatal is interesting, do we know if that statistic is because of volume of people or something else? I would have thought I-5 or I-95

Wow, Most fatal is interesting, do we know if that statistic is because of volume of people or something else? I would have thought I-5 or I-95
It's deaths per mile and I-95 is slightly higher than I-10. If you consider traffic volume, I-10 has much less traffic than I-95 and winds up with a higher fatalities per mile driven.

Source: 25 most deadly highways in the U.S.

Don’t know about fatalities but for my money i95 has to be the interstate that was shut down the most.

In just S.C. alone, there have been major shutdowns due to flooding from hurricanes. Couple years back it was 9 days in one section. Add to it, Northern sections due to ice/snow.

In any event, need this doughnut to be filled.

Hmmm... some surprising data in that fatal highways list.

To be clear, the only transcontinental route listed (transcontinental defined as a contiguous route from west coast to east coast) is I-10. It’s either that or relying upon I-40 or further north and those only get you so far before merging onto something else, yes?

As well, I-70 was closed in one or both directions at 11,300’ for the better part of a week last *mid-May* alone.

I’m not a fan of I-10, having driven it more times than I can count, but occasional flooding aside, I’d rather take my chances with it than with the more northerly route through Oklahoma, New Mexico and Northern Arizona.

I think of I-10 as the least worst year-round option, if you will. If I have to get somewhere in February, I’m taking that and not I-40 or I-70, in other words.

And yes, the Fort Stockton SC grand opening gathering should be much fun - it will be great to meet you and hopefully a number of others from this thread and from the adjacent states’ owners clubs who may well drop by.

Commemorative railroad spikes for everybody!

Last edited:
Reactions: X Fan
Thanks for the link. Do you have another that lists the deaths per mile driven stat that you mention?
No, I interpolated the data. I-95 is the busiest Interstate in the country and was fifth on the that list (Source: 10 Busiest Interstates in the U.S. - Listosaur | Hungry for Knowledge) and I-10 (sixth on that list) is one of the least -- with only ~ 6-7,000 vehicles a day passing through Fort Stockton (Source: Statewide Planning Map).

If someone can find the underlying data, I'm sure we could make the calculation, but with I-40 in 21st place and actually slightly longer than I-10, it makes the point.

• Informative
Reactions: jdo