Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad you were successful! Most of the issue with this leg of the trip is going east to west, which is uphill and usually against a strong prevailing west wind. Your west-east trip is considerably less stressful.

Hence, on the east-west route we took I-20 thru Midland. Since we had not taken I-20 before we drove from Houston to Cisco via Waco and did the I-20 thru Pecos to Van Horn.

Reactions: BerTX
The next time one of us talks to a Tesla SC person, we should ask who is in charge of getting the West Texas Interstate finished.
I think I discarded all of the business cards I got from the last Tesla Social, plus, those people change jobs quite a bit too.
But I will definitely ask next time and follow up until I get a name of someone working there that I can chat with.

This is a 228 mike stretch correct? So it seems that only 100 model s battery packs can do this comfortably at normal speeds assuming the person is comfortable with running the battery down pretty low?

Doable, but not comfortable east to west in p100d in 28 degree weather. 50-55 mph most of the route until it was clear that we could make van horn.
Yeah 28 degrees wouldn't be fun... cold is the only scenario I see being the issue. But summertime looks good, but the supercharger will be really helpful to get through there quickly without having to charge to a full amount to reach van horn

The campground should have a large enough electrical supply to be able to power up an URBAN SC on a pallet as a temp fix until a permanent solution can be found. Even a 15 minute charge would give us 50 extra miles.

Honestly, I doubt it. I would be shocked if it was anything other than single phase. Probably 37.5kva for every 20 sites or so. No extra overhead for another 150kw.

Made it from Canyon Lake to Ozona nonstop with the new 100D. Very satisfying.
Had 55 rated miles upon arrival at Ozona (16%). 203.7 miles, 3:05 et, 76.0 kWh used, 373 wH/mi, speed limit +3, 83 max.

Ozona to Fort Davis not so good. Used (guessing here) 50 miles rated in 30 miles driving. 83 mph, 20+ mph headwinds.
76 mph to get past the Fort Stockton hole, 45-55 mph through Balmorhea and over the mountains. 42 miles left upon arrival (13%?), 206.3 mi, 82.0 kWh used, 397 wH/mi. Very warm: 100 degrees max recorded.

Trivia: went up my 1/2 mile driveway - 240' elevation change, 1,524 wH/mi !

Entire 410 mile trip: 158.0 kWh, 385 wH/mi.

Still need Fort Stockton - even with a 100D.

Sure would like to know the reason for a 4-year delay.
Some past sources proved unreliable. Guess we'll have to make up something.

Ozona charger: friendly retired couple from California drove in from Van Horn with a 4 month old S75D. Beautiful blue, white interior.
They were unaware of the Fort Stockton embarrassment.
They went 55 on I-10 for many miles (80 mph speed limit). Luckily it was downwind.
Faster drivers were waving at them.
They arrived at the Ozona SC with 7 miles rated range showing.

SC made about a dozen cycles from 0 to 7-8 kW for maybe five full minutes before the battery would accept more than that.

We thought: "trouble".

Search of forums here showed that was a normal response for a very low battery.
Very comforting to the driver and his wife.

I met with the GM of the Best Western Plus in Fort Stockton today, and his boss.
The SC will NOT be placed there. I was told that BW was not the party that pulled out of the preliminary arrangements.
The survey flags we spotted there were indeed for the SC installation.
Might be another angle to to this - don't know.
More: check here: Far West Texas Charging

I met with the GM of the Best Western Plus in Fort Stockton today, and his boss.
The SC will NOT be placed there. I was told that BW was not the party that pulled out of the preliminary arrangements.
The survey flags we spotted there were indeed for the SC installation.
Might be another angle to to this - don't know.
More: check here: Far West Texas Charging

What a shame - thanks for the info - that location looked pretty good from the air. What the * is up with the Supercharger Team? Sending flatbeds for stranded drivers (and it will happen) is expensive.

Guess we know what the now 480+ day expired permit was tied to now almost a year and a half later.