Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slowly cruised the I-10 area through Fort Stockton today - saw nothing obvious.
Still no response from the newspaper or FS Development Corporation. I give up on that.

For temporary use, how about a Tesla-labelled Powerwall-fed SC mounted on a semi-trailer?
(Maybe park it across the street from City Hall?)

Charger at Iraan is a real treat - allows me to get home west of Fort Davis without another stop if I go slowly enough,
but I still get nervous going 60 between Iraan and the Alpine cutoff on I-10. Everyone else is going 85.

Charger at Iraan is a real treat - allows me to get home west of Fort Davis without another stop if I go slowly enough,
but I still get nervous going 60 between Iraan and the Alpine cutoff on I-10. Everyone else is going 85.

Charlie - I will be driving from Houston to Alpine next weekend. I have been planning with EVtripplanner. It shows I will use 216 RM from Ozona to Alpine, with an average speed of 74 mph on the I-10 segment. I have a 90D, so I was comfortable I could manage the trip. Your comment makes me a little nervous though. I recognize that winds and temp will have a big impact but I am allowing for that. Will I be cutting this closer than I think? Your experience will be appreciated. Thanks, AJ

Howdy AJ!

You should be able to make it if you watch the speed.

My classic P85 can’t make it from Ozona through Alpine to my home west of Fort Davis (215.7 miles), so I need something in between. Iraan charges much faster (I set it to 67 amps) than the NEMA 10/50s in Alpine, Balmorhea or Fort Stockton, but is still the slowest charger on my way out, so I plan my trip around minimizing time in Iraan.

The numbers from the trip on Saturday, troublesome segment is from Ozona west and south.
(Speed limit on I-10 is 80)

Home to Junction: speed limit -10, 120 miles, used 41.8 kWh
(note: I did not need to go so slowly on this leg)
In Junction I charged 12 minutes, added 16 kWh
Car’s trip planner said 22% margin upon arrival in Ozona.

Arrived in Ozona with 18% margin on the car’s trip planner.
(18% margin is in my discomfort zone out here - should have charged longer in Junction)
73 mph, 91.6 miles, used 32.4 kWh 50F no wind
In Ozona I charged 1:26, added 62 kWh, 100%, 261 miles showing

Arrived in Iraan with 81%, 212 miles left
Drove 51.5 mi used 13.7 kWh at 51 mph
In Iraan I charged 1:10 at 67 amps, added 26 kWh
(numbers don’t add up - don’t know why)
Charged to 100% - 262 miles showing
BBQ was already closed, ate at the diner
Car’s trip planner said 26% margin (yea!) upon arrival in Fort Davis, trip of 160 miles.
Started very slowly. (Alphacrux is correct I think)
No charging opportunity between Fort Stockton and Alpine: about 67 miles.
Detour back to Fort Stockton is a killer on this route. No other detour possible. See map.

Went 60 on I-10 (hate that), built a good margin, went 65 on Hwy 67 to Alpine.
Good reserve in Alpine, so on to Fort Davis.
Drove 164.2 mi, slowly, used 53 kWh
Arrived at home with 27% left, 73 miles indicated

Ozona to FD house is 215.7 miles, car showed usage of 66.7 kWh at very slow speeds.

Car shows total trip info: 427.7 miles, 141.0 kWh used, 330 Wh/mi
Total charge added en route was 157 kWh indicated, car shows 141.0 used.
27% still available at the end.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Iraan - Fort Davis trip notes:

I use the onboard consumption graph: if you start with xx% reserve, you can adjust your speed up or down to maintain your desired reserve.
The range penalty associated with high speed, head winds, cold weather, and uphill runs becomes obvious if you watch the graph.

I've always used max regeneration, which slows me down too much on the downhill runs. I tried shifting to N and lowering the car on several downhill runs between Iraan and Alpine. kWh/mile plummeted, car accelerated well, surprised me. I suspect this is better than using regen, but might just be all in my head - fun anyway. Car did not protest.

Repeat advice, but when you leave Fort Stockton, headed west or south, please do so with enough reserve to handle high winds, low temps, and detours. Cell service is spotty or non-existent out here, depending on your carrier. My Verizon won't work anywhere near Junction.

There are two huge solar power installations in the area: I-10 a few miles west of Fort Stockton, and on Hwy 67 a few miles north of Alpine.
Perhaps someone can capture and post drone videos? Please?

You're ok once you get to Alpine or Balmorhea - charging at Performance Cars Stable, a hotel, Balmorhea City Hall, and in nearby Marfa - two HPWCs at El Cosmico - cool, quirky place - perfect for Marfa.

PM me if you need If you need dining, entertainment, or other advice.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J and TaoJones
Howdy AJ!

You should be able to make it if you watch the speed.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Thanks for all of the details! I am very familiar with the energy app and the impact of speed. I am a little more nervous because we will have two of my wife’s friends with us. My wife is used to long trips and charging stops in the S, her friends, not so much. I will watch my speed, look for trucks to draft, hope for no wind, and be thankful I got the 90D .

Seams to me like a Ft Stockton hotel needs to put in a handful of 240v 25a (or 208/30). Just enough to charge fully overnight.

This may be a decent stop-over in Fort Stockton.
I have not tried this yet but have spoken to the management a couple of times.
Will give this a try on my next road trip out west.
If someone gives this a go in the meantime please let me know if it seems do-able.

Flying G RV Park
3601 W. Dickerson Blvd.
432-290-8298
16 spaces, 50 Amp Svc. available.
$20.00
They do fill up so call ahead..

Right next door.

The Sleep Inn
3401 W. Dickerson Blvd.
432-836-8338
About $100.00
They also fill up so call.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
My Verizon won't work anywhere near Junction.

Confirmed.

Perhaps someone can capture and post drone videos?

Keep in mind that Texas and Federal law might have issues with you flying a drone in this area. Texas has laws against using a drone to photograph or record video of private property without permission of the owner, and there are laws (Texas or Fed, I forget which) about flying around "infrastructure" such as solar farms.

Thought I'd give the new Planner a try. No P85 option, so I chose a 75D, enjoy:
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 9.14.35 PM.png

namlio:
walking distance: Cafe Next Door: friendly place, mostly locals, ok diner food, DQ, Sonic: as expected
short drive: Subway: as expected, WW BBQ as described above: not yet tried that
DQ has a nice shady area to sit and dine (I guess DQ and "dine" shouldn't be paired that way)

Cool old neighborhood to wander through just north of the SC. Curious about those fine old houses. Wild turkeys roaming around.
Park with benches and rudimentary trees nearby, too.

Filmshack: will give the FG location a drive-through.

Thanks everybody!