Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow...this is taking a long time. Back in 2015, we drove cross country, adding about 500 miles to get around Texas. (see map) I was hoping to be able to take 10 all the way, but until Fort Stockton is done, it is a bit risky. I will read the whole thread to see if there are details on why it has not opened. Is Ft. Stockton an oil town??
View attachment 275232
Ft. Stockton is an old ranching/oil town, but there are now hundreds, if not thousands, of wind turbines in the area, so they can’t be totally anti electric or renewable. There is also a utility scale solar farm under construction south of town closer to Alpine.

I will save you a long slog through this thread and say there is a lot of speculation as to why the supercharger has not been built, but no real facts at this point. Here’s hoping that ‘soon’ comes eventually.

Ft. Stockton is an old ranching/oil town, but there are now hundreds, if not thousands, of wind turbines in the area, so they can’t be totally anti electric or renewable. There is also a utility scale solar farm under construction south of town closer to Alpine.

I will save you a long slog through this thread and say there is a lot of speculation as to why the supercharger has not been built, but no real facts at this point. Here’s hoping that ‘soon’ comes eventually.
Many thanks. We need it!

Thanks for all of the advice, suggestions, and comments guys. Unfortunately, I can’t find a viable charging option in Alpine. The Performance Guys only allow access during open hours and they are not open on the weekend. I called to see if I could arrange something, but I never got a call back. The hotel where we are staying only has a 120v outlet and it will take 55 hours to get enough charge to to get back to Ozona (@ 4 mph). I have considered a trip to Marfa, but I would have to spend many hours there to get enough charge.

We will take my wife’s ICE instead. I was so looking forward to the ride in the Tesla. I wouldn’t have agreed to go if I had known earlier. Another owner bitten by the lack of a supercharger in Fort Stockton. Oh well. Thanks again. AJ

There's one plugshare location in Marfa, TX PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You. I have been able to negotiate dryer outlet access on AirBNB. Possibly simpler is to just stay at an RV park in Marfa, TX which is what we'll be doing. I see three in town, one is the PlugShare location El Cosmico Visit Marfa, Texas

We're going there in April, so will update with how it goes. I have a 75, so we will be at 200miles when arriving in Marfa.

• Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
There's one plugshare location in Marfa, TX PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You. I have been able to negotiate dryer outlet access on AirBNB. Possibly simpler is to just stay at an RV park in Marfa, TX which is what we'll be doing. I see three in town, one is the PlugShare location El Cosmico Visit Marfa, Texas

We're going there in April, so will update with how it goes. I have a 75, so we will be at 200miles when arriving in Marfa.
There are also RV parks in Fort Stockton, all of which have 30/50 amp connections. It may be worth it for insurance alone.

87FA47A8-568F-436D-B954-BD9B6C2B482A.jpeg
515315FD-E5D3-4CF1-944B-02152E22205D.jpeg
44C7108A-28C3-41AE-BDE9-306659B48EBD.jpeg
We traveled the I 10 thru Texas in December and January. Stopped in Balmorhea on the way west for 3 hours of charge at the City Hall. Decided we could drive slow with our P85D on the way back east and made it with 35 miles to spare. The whole thing with Fort Stockton is so ridiculous. Only hole in the SC trip from Florida to California!

View attachment 277880 View attachment 277881 View attachment 277882 We traveled the I 10 thru Texas in December and January. Stopped in Balmorhea on the way west for 3 hours of charge at the City Hall. Decided we could drive slow with our P85D on the way back east and made it with 35 miles to spare. The whole thing with Fort Stockton is so ridiculous. Only hole in the SC trip from Florida to California!
Thanks for posting those photos. I have reconciled myself with having to charge there and I wondered what sort of facilities were around there. Now there are extra reasons to BEG for Fort Stockton and Pecos Superchargers.

Balmorhea is ok, but so far I like this place the best. Get all you can in Iraan, then top off at the location above.
Swimming pool, country diner, rustic. I mean really rustic. Friendly people, too. You can make eye contact and everything.
BYOW. Would be a great place for a HPWC.

Doing 60 on I-10 is still scary and unsafe.

Does Elon read this thread? Maybe he should.

My hope is for Love's or Flying J in FS.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J and nwdiver
Whatever's preventing progress here, I seriously doubt it's Tesla themselves that are responsible. Tesla wants it, Tesla customers want it, several potential sites have apparently been interested, so what's preventing progress? I think we all know the answer to that.

Reactions: Chuq and Twiglett
Charging in Alpine

Made a trip from Austin to Marfa last week.

Stayed in a trailer at El Cosmico.
They have two Tesla destination chargers and a Clipper Creek as noted on Plugshare.
Good trip.

Alpine
Just wanted to add that the two NEMA 14-50s are accessible and available 24-7
at The Stable Performance Cars in Alpine.

I spoke with Dave, the owner, before we went and met him there. Good Guy.

The Stable Performance Cars
511 W Holland Ave, Alpine, TX 79830
phone
(432) 837-9789
local_parking
Parking - Free
Two NEMA 14-50 available

Charging in Alpine

Made a trip from Austin to Marfa last week.

Stayed in a trailer at El Cosmico.
They have two Tesla destination chargers and a Clipper Creek as noted on Plugshare.
Good trip.

Alpine
Just wanted to add that the two NEMA 14-50s are accessible and available 24-7
at The Stable Performance Cars in Alpine.

I spoke with Dave, the owner, before we went and met him there. Good Guy.

The Stable Performance Cars
511 W Holland Ave, Alpine, TX 79830
phone
(432) 837-9789
local_parking
Parking - Free
Two NEMA 14-50 available

We're going to make the same trip in April. What are you driving? How much battery % leaving Ozona/arriving in Marfa?