Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
did they pour the switchgear and or SC pads?

Wednesday July 17 7:36 pm

Switchgear and Supercharger pad poured. Looks like it was done today. Curbing however not poured yet.

20190717_192846.jpg

I know the construction and inspection can take time. Anyone have an estimate of when this supercharger will be available for use? I see the Leesburg superchargers are expected to be on Monday. How long did they take?
I am traveling so can't get a good shot of this but go to the following link and reduce the filters on the right to just Maryland to get an idea of just how long it is likely to take. You could also add Virginia into the mix if you like.

The filters are all the way on the right side of the page.

Tableau Public

Frederick is in day 35 of construction, and it looks like length of time has varied from 32 (grasonville) to 299 (annapolis) days of construction before opening, so not sure what we can make of that.
Days of construction on supercharge.info is nice to look at but don’t read to much into the numbers. Day 1 of construction is when someone discovers it being built. The information does not come from Tesla. For example, the one that just opened in Las Vegas was under construction for 2 days. For a V3, 250 kW, 24 stall Supercharger.

Reactions: vdiv
Frederick is in day 35 of construction, and it looks like length of time has varied from 32 (grasonville) to 299 (annapolis) days of construction before opening, so not sure what we can make of that.

Annapolis is an outlier. Its complex garage installation resulted in some electrical permitting and inspection issues that held the project up for months. Frederick is much more typical and shouldn’t encounter issues like Annapolis did (knock on wood).

My normal, baseline assumption is for the superchargers to be operational starting about 11-12 weeks (~80 days) after construction began (ground breaking). But this doesn't account for the pedestal shortage that has been recently delaying many sites. Not sure how big an issue that will be for Frederick as the re-establishment of full supply is rumored to happening towards the end of this month, which is still well within my baseline period.

I wanted to give a little more details on what I found out briefly talking to the guys.
The SC site should already be wrapping up within two weeks. They can’t get charging stands which are back ordered. He said they have a site in Michigan waiting for them also. They can’t pull the wire until they do

They will set the utility transformer soon and they can at least wire that part of the SC all the way to the inverters.

The power company guys were fusing the sticks of pipe together and should have pulled the 500’ run in last night. This from the green box in the ground back to the SC transformer. They will be at it for the next two weeks also

So just like the movie, the Money Pit, everyone on site is saying “Two weeks “ till there done. This would be substantially completed pending the SC pedestals showing up. Then we wait for AP to pull cable and hook up, who are very prompt. Then wait out the inspections, and the paperwork? Mid September opening?

Did you see the underground crew working down by BJ's and or is there large black pipe pile gone? it was half way to BJ's.

Yes the mini excavator blocks the view of the utility transformer. I cant see it either. it was the third concrete pad. EDIT I went back to the picture and the pad would have been to the left of the excavator.

When this site is done I wonder how much pressure if any it will take off of Gaithersburg. that place is always full.

There is a smaller, empty pad next to the big pad. Six pedestal bases set. Four remaining. No delivery of pedestals. Did not look for activity down by BJ's.

Thanks for the picture and update, No transformer set on the big empty pad. Boy you would have thought they quit as soon as I took the last shot of them setting the last pedestal base. They may have run back to Michigan to finish that site, if they get there pedestals. Not much left to do until the pedestals are set and the transformer gets set.