Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gallup, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have stopped at this SC few times a year and they have always been exceptionally friendly. They usually offered cookies, even after we said we were just charging. That did change during the pandemic, when they posted the sign about only hotel guests allowed. Though we didn't go in and ask. Holbrook restrooms were closed as well. That was the longest I've had to hold it during our road trips. Next trip should be in July. Hopefully everything is about back to normal then.

I charged in Gallup just before the pandemic and the sign out front said "Welcome Tesla Drivers" and they were very friendly at the front desk. Has there been a change in management or just a cranky person at the desk?
There were signs all over the place saying "restrooms for paying customers only." Woman at the front desk asked me what I was doing as soon as I walked in the lobby (I think she suspected I was a Tesla driver). Then she dismissed me promptly.

There were signs all over the place saying "restrooms for paying customers only." Woman at the front desk asked me what I was doing as soon as I walked in the lobby (I think she suspected I was a Tesla driver). Then she dismissed me promptly.
Just had a similar experience - ultimately was told “only restrooms for Tesla people” when I asked if I could have some of the coffee they had out and it was with real venom she told me that. Later, I asked the front desk if they had “food options” as listed on the Tesla web site for this location and she icily denied it and explained “the chargers are Tesla property” though I found a pair of vending machines that did the trick. Why the venom? Horrible place - glad to leave.

Just had a similar experience - ultimately was told “only restrooms for Tesla people” when I asked if I could have some of the coffee they had out and it was with real venom she told me that. Later, I asked the front desk if they had “food options” as listed on the Tesla web site for this location and she icily denied it and explained “the chargers are Tesla property” though I found a pair of vending machines that did the trick. Why the venom? Horrible place - glad to leave.
It sounds like she let you use the restrooms so that was better than my treatment :) I wouldn't expect FREE coffee or snacks from a host hotel, but I have had some places that offered.

Reactions: SageBrush and IdaX
I live in NM and have charged at a couple of places (including Gallup) co-located at hotels. I make it a point to be friendly and polite, to thank the front desk for co-locating the Superchargers, and to look for a way to spend some money. I haven't had any negative experiences.

Walking in and asking for free amenities while charging is sure to annoy some people. It is not the value of the amenity, it is the attitude.

Just to clarify for anyone who hasn't been to this location, on the other side of the overpass is a couple BIG gas station/truck stops that have free restrooms and whatnot. It's not that far of a walk but it's not pedestrian friendly... just a heads up.

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 10.17.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 10.18.01 AM.png

I live in NM and have charged at a couple of places (including Gallup) co-located at hotels. I make it a point to be friendly and polite, to thank the front desk for co-locating the Superchargers, and to look for a way to spend some money. I haven't had any negative experiences.

Walking in and asking for free amenities while charging is sure to annoy some people. It is not the value of the amenity, it is the attitude.
Well sure, I could have paid for a room if I wanted to use the restroom at the Gallup Hampton Inn, but no amount of charming was going to change her mind when I was there. They had multiple signs up and I was met with hostility as I walked through the lobby in the general direction of the restroom.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Has anyone done the Albuquerque to Gallup route very recently? It looks like there is some really bad construction traffic backups going West as you approach Grants. The NM state web site even says they are routing traffic onto other highways. This might be really bad for EVs. (I might be heading this way next weekend; hoping it isn’t as bad as it looks on Google maps).

Charged here in Gallup last Friday (Midday). Only one other Tesla there. The 4 V3 stalls were all open so I was excited for the new V3 speeds, but the East-facing stall I tried would only deliver 125kW. I unplugged and moved to one of the West-facing stalls and I immediately got the full 250kW, and it delivered a great charging rate all the way 80% SOC, no issues at all.
I did drive in from the Farmington NM area, so I can’t attest to any updates on the I-40 construction East of Grants.

Charged here in Gallup last Friday (Midday). Only one other Tesla there. The 4 V3 stalls were all open so I was excited for the new V3 speeds, but the East-facing stall I tried would only deliver 125kW. I unplugged and moved to one of the West-facing stalls and I immediately got the full 250kW, and it delivered a great charging rate all the way 80% SOC, no issues at all.
I did drive in from the Farmington NM area, so I can’t attest to any updates on the I-40 construction East of Grants.
I believe that the four stalls on the south are the original V2 and the four new V3 ones were added to the north. So, both versions face east and west. You should be able to tell the difference by cable size: V2 have thick cables and V3 have thin cables (because they are liquid cooled).

I posted the construction picture in post 102: Supercharger - Gallup, NM That's my car charging at one of the two accessible stalls in the picture. It was a fluke that I came through the day construction started.

The picture shows the four old V2 stalls. Tesla built the new V3 stalls as quickly as they could because of severe overcrowding, so they left the old stalls in place unchanged and the two on the east side remained available during construction. Gallup is a critical node on I-40 and had to remain open even while the new stalls were being built.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and SilverMonk
I believe that the four stalls on the south are the original V2 and the four new V3 ones were added to the north. So, both versions face east and west. You should be able to tell the difference by cable size: V2 have thick cables and V3 have thin cables (because they are liquid cooled).

I posted the construction picture in post 102: Supercharger - Gallup, NM That's my car charging at one of the two accessible stalls in the picture. It was a fluke that I came through the day construction started.

The picture shows the four old V2 stalls. Tesla built the new V3 stalls as quickly as they could because of severe overcrowding, so they left the old stalls in place unchanged and the two on the east side remained available during construction. Gallup is a critical node on I-40 and had to remain open even while the new stalls were being built.
Yep. The V2 stalls are the South ones closest to the charger cabinets and the dirt parking lot, with the new V3 stalls to the north extending further into the paved lot. I knew this going in so I had plugged into a V3 spot; not sure why it only delivered half the expected power, since I simply shifted around to another V3 spot, also with the thinner cable, on the same charging cabinet of course, and then got the full 250kW. That is what was weird. So, if you charge here, I recommend backing in to one of the V3 stalls while facing the hotel to likely increase your chances of full power.

Yep. The V2 stalls are the South ones closest to the charger cabinets and the dirt parking lot, with the new V3 stalls to the north extending further into the paved lot. I knew this going in so I had plugged into a V3 spot; not sure why it only delivered half the expected power, since I simply shifted around to another V3 spot, also with the thinner cable, on the same charging cabinet of course, and then got the full 250kW. That is what was weird. So, if you charge here, I recommend backing in to one of the V3 stalls while facing the hotel to likely increase your chances of full power.
Since my car is so slow charging I can't take advantage of the new V3 stalls. In a mixed installation I'll choose the older V2 ones to let others have the V3s.

Assuming that the station isn't full and I get a choice, which wasn't the case on my recent visit to Gallup and I had to take the first stall that opened up. Nevertheless, the five minute wait was way better than being seventh in line for three working stalls two years ago!

Has the hotel next to the Supercharger changed hands ? Last time I went there it was a Hampton Inn, and the Tesla web site says Hampton.

However Google says Best Western Gallup West. I checked at Best Western, and they do have a location on their list for that address with "Opening Soon".

I was thinking of making this place an overnight stop next month. Anyone here know whether they are open, and if they changed from Hampton to Best Western ?

Has the hotel next to the Supercharger changed hands ? Last time I went there it was a Hampton Inn, and the Tesla web site says Hampton.

However Google says Best Western Gallup West. I checked at Best Western, and they do have a location on their list for that address with "Opening Soon".

I was thinking of making this place an overnight stop next month. Anyone here know whether they are open, and if they changed from Hampton to Best Western ?

We were there last week. They were remodeling it. The hotel was not open.