Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenville, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something really strange happened in Greenville. See Supercharger - Greenville, SC - Page 11 for a picture from mid June. Nothing has happened in almost 2 months. On top of that the work just stopped in the middle of a normal install, not waiting for utility hookup, weather issues, or any of the normal delays. It's like the contractor went out of business or the city issued a stop work order.

Wonder what happened?

There have been a lot of rumors on different Tesla Facebook groups. I've read about permit issues, a lawsuit, etc. No one knows for sure but yes, work simply stopped. Rats! I'm gonna have to stop in Asheville but that should be easy enough and sufficient to get me to Santee, SC.

In Greenville... behind 119 Main street Llyn Strong Fine Jewlry is a parking garage. They have level 2 chargers on the 1st level as you go in..... on the left side two stalls up the ramp. They are free to use. NOTE: you {Tesla's} must back into the stalls for the cable to reach.
They are diagonal stalls so let the people behind you know what you are doing.... it's a tight turn a round to back in.... but,..... they are free!!! The garage will cost you $6.00 to park all day.

Thanks huskerfl

This really helps do you know if there is a place to get breakfast close to spend the two hours waiting for the charge?
sorry for my ignorance how much I have to pay for the charge at th RV park?

QUOTE=Huskerfl;720734]I would stop at magnolia RV park. Right off highway. Friendly owners who have had many Teslas come through.

567 Fairview Church Rd.
Kinards, SC 29355
United States

I also found taking the most direct route (mapquest etc.) saves electricity. Use highway 176 to 6 to cut about 9 miles out of the route if needed.[/QUOTE]

Why the mystery about the date?

I am new to Tesla (two months) so I don't understand why there is no information about the opening date of Greenville supercharger. Why the mystery and speculation. Every construction project has a finish date and when there are delays the date is moved, but there is always at least a "wishful date". Why the silence from Tesla, why not just say there is a delay and will take another 6 months, so at least users can plan accordingly. What is the benefit of the mystery? Why not place approximate dates in the website, even if those dates are changed every week, but at least something. As far as I understand through this thread nobody really knows if this will be working next week, or next month, or in six months, or in a year or maybe never as some have speculated some legal problems with the site. Why Tesla can not even inform Tesla drivers about the uncertainty if there is any, or maybe everything is ready and will resume work tomorrow morning? again why the silence and mystery? Sorry I don't understand.

I am new to Tesla (two months) so I don't understand why there is no information about the opening date of Greenville supercharger. Why the mystery and speculation. Every construction project has a finish date and when there are delays the date is moved, but there is always at least a "wishful date". Why the silence from Tesla, why not just say there is a delay and will take another 6 months, so at least users can plan accordingly. What is the benefit of the mystery? Why not place approximate dates in the website, even if those dates are changed every week, but at least something. As far as I understand through this thread nobody really knows if this will be working next week, or next month, or in six months, or in a year or maybe never as some have speculated some legal problems with the site. Why Tesla can not even inform Tesla drivers about the uncertainty if there is any, or maybe everything is ready and will resume work tomorrow morning? again why the silence and mystery? Sorry I don't understand.

I have found that when dealing with cities, it is best to walk softly. Often times, there are legal, technical, or permit issues that take time to work through. The hierarchy in government can be maddening to those who aren't in it and their vindictiveness can be brutal. The last thing Tesla needs is "helpful" citizens getting involved in the process and thereby forcing the city or other municipality to stand on principle and start dotting every i and crossing every t.

My guess is that Tesla is quietly trying to work through this with some governmental agency or regulated body and doesn't want to shed too much light on the issue.

- - - Updated - - -

The next time someone goes out there, they may wish to look around for the permit. All work of this nature requires a permit and that permit must be posted on site. If you read the inspections, you may find an inspector's note or some other indication as to why the work was stopped. Alternatively, the City of Greenville, may have all their permits online with inspectors notes there.

If the permit isn't there, it's because they aren't planning any inspections anytime soon.

I think doing something like this would be a mistake. Look at any time Tesla has provided a date for something. They miss dates all the time which just disappoints people. Even when they are already into constructions, there are many variables that could lead to things going wrong. You wouldn't want someone to rely on a SC being up by a certain day for a road trip and plan their trip around that, just to find that they didn't make the date. Right now, they are just "coming soon" and when they're ready, they're on the map. Even the fact that things were on the map as being done in 2013 and then they weren't disappointed a lot of people and they may very well not make all the dots listed as 2014 at the rate they are going. That will disappoint people too. Tesla should err on the side of under-committing and over-delivering instead of over-committing IMHO.

Technically, Tesla has not provided any information on the Greenville Supercharger other than it is "Coming Soon." It is only because it is a public area and people have posted pictures that we have a sense of when it "should" have been completed. If the delay is outside of Tesla, then there may be no additional dates forthcoming and any dates given would be wild *ss guessing (WAG), which then puts them into a spiral of putting out more WAGs and missing them. Further, publicly outing the hold up may end up exacerbating whatever the problem is instead of helping it.

I have to agree completely with windward that the lack of info from Tesla on the Greenville SC is distressing. It really IS NOT too much to ask for an update on the planned chargers across the country, especially when they are close to construction or coming on-line. The vagaries of the generic Tesla charger map are frustrating. If this were just one of a multitude of sites available, like California, it would be different. Right now trips to major cities like Atlanta in the eastern corridors are simply not possible and the lack of information is a major impediment to Tesla selling these cars and to our driving them! Can't believe Tesla doesn't see this!

And I have never seen municipalities respond to being treated "gently" when urged to provide services. If it is a building code or other regulatory problem in Greenville, the best strategy is finding out the roadblock and urging action repeatedly. If there is any inside info on the problem in Greeenville let us know.

I have to agree completely with windward that the lack of info from Tesla on the Greenville SC is distressing. It really IS NOT too much to ask for an update on the planned chargers across the country, especially when they are close to construction or coming on-line. The vagaries of the generic Tesla charger map are frustrating. If this were just one of a multitude of sites available, like California, it would be different. Right now trips to major cities like Atlanta in the eastern corridors are simply not possible and the lack of information is a major impediment to Tesla selling these cars and to our driving them! Can't believe Tesla doesn't see this!

And I have never seen municipalities respond to being treated "gently" when urged to provide services. If it is a building code or other regulatory problem in Greenville, the best strategy is finding out the roadblock and urging action repeatedly. If there is any inside info on the problem in Greeenville let us know.

Tesla does have official stance on when these Supercharger stations are coming on line. "Coming Soon", "2014" or "2015". They are purposefully vague so that when something happens and they have zero progress on a site for 8 weeks they don't have people complaining.

Point is these things don't have a reliable install time window. Tesla has to get general contractors to prep the site, then electricians to wire from Tesla's panels to the chargers. Then they have to wait for the Utility to hook them up. Then they have to get everything inspected. Then they have touch up general contractor stuff. Not to mention any interaction with the land owner.

Plus they do all this remotely. So they can't say this site will be ready in 10 weeks at the outset. They honestly have no idea.

"People can take good news or bad news but not uncertainty"

There is an old saying: "People can take good news or bad news but not uncertainty" My point is that if we had an approximate date lets say for example October 2014, then no more speculation like "the land owner change his mind", or "the city permit has problems" and so on. Maybe is right on schedule and will be ready in three weeks. We all understand that any date also should include disclaimers so people don't plan a trip accordingly, but an October or any date, and then change it if something happens would be appropriate.
But regarding construction, yes finish time is an uncertainty, but most construction on the site is done and the equipment is sitting unpacked ready (as we have seen in the pictures) for 4 months with no activity. So I am proposing a simple approximate date, then if changed to another date with a simple direct statement: contractor delay or permit delay, or regulation issues etc.
Right now we only know that this site maybe running in 2015. Even the Walmart being built close to my house has an opening date.
I hope is not because Walmart will make profit when opens and Tesla ads additional cost and no extra immediate profit when opens a new site.

Right now we only know that this site maybe running in 2015. Even the Walmart being built close to my house has an opening date.
I hope is not because Walmart will make profit when opens and Tesla ads additional cost and no extra immediate profit when opens a new site.

Tesla has a "Coming Soon" date on this supercharger. Which is sooner than 2014 and definitely sooner than 2015. It isn't as amorphous as you speculate. And this site would have surely overrun the open date, so all the idle speculation would still be there as to why they didn't make the date.

As for your Wal-Mart it does have an open date. But it is probably only about +/- 6 months. There was a Kroger that was supposed to open near me that opened 9 months after it's first posted open date. There is a Publix about 0.5 miles away that is about 6 years past the open by date that was originally posted (signage got taken down 2 years ago, it obviously got canceled). Knowing a "date" doesn't change anything. Why should Tesla say September 18th if it really has no idea when things will get done?

this is what I read: "Let me put it this way: there has been progress since the last time I was there. I reviewed my old photos of the site, and there has definitely been some change. That said, I don't want to give false hope that things are really moving now. Of course the weather hasn't helped with the daily rain... "

Let us hope something is progressing.

My point is that if we had an approximate date lets say for example October 2014, then no more speculation [..].

You do have an approximate date (2014), and there still is lots of speculation. If someone suddenly said "October 2014", what possible credence could you give to that date unless they also explained why they are giving you that date?

Give it up, already. It'll be done when it's done. As a Canadian Model S owner, you're not getting a lot of sympathy from me. Chill, dude.

(Check out how many years it's been, and the first Supercharger in Canada JUST opened. The "Windsor to Quebec" corridor has 13 million people, and there are exactly ZERO Superchargers installed.)