TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Greenville, SC

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by airj1012, Apr 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. franda1

franda1 Member

Thanks to cmorn, JM_ATL and techmaven for this info. I'm sure there are a lot of us watching this thread as the Greenville supercharger is crucial in this corridor. My S85 comes in 2 weeks, but still no easy way to get from Virginia to Atlanta. It looks like the Charlotte SC is not close and still nothing in Atlanta. (The Westin Peachtree, however, does have "destination HPWC" and the Westin North Atlanta should have them up in about 3 weeks.) If anyone has used charging sites along this route between the Burlington NC supercharger and Atlanta, please let us know.

2. cmorn

cmorn Member

Greenville could be a while. the combination of Commerce, GA and Charlotte, NC would also get you to Atlanta. There are lots of level 2 chargers in Atlanta, but if you need a quick charge, send me a message and you can use my HPWC. There is a Hampton Inn near the supercharger site in Greenville that has a level 2 charger.

3. franda1

franda1 Member

Thanks, cmorn. Commerce GA is a good suggestion as I see the level 2 chargers are in the Tanger Mall parking lot. I'll be making the trip in about 2-3 weeks. I'll PM you if i need that quick HPWC charge.

4. cmorn

cmorn Member

Yes, Commerce is a nice place to stop, but it is over 280 miles from Burlington. The Hampton Inn on Woodruff Road in Greenville is 200 miles from Brulington.

5. drsrichardson

drsrichardson Member

Yes, thanks for all the updates. I drove by The Point in Greenville on Sunday to take a look and was disheartened at the pitiful site. I guess we'll know a little more in October after the hearing.

6. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

The word is that Tesla is now looking for a new location. Who knows how long this will take...

7. Alpha

Alpha Member

Well... at least they are moving on. If they find a suitable site it could potentially move very quickly...

8. enodog

enodog New Member

Hi everyone. I am excited to be picking up my car next Friday at the Marietta Service Center. Since I had the ear of a delivery advisor, and some others in Fremont California, I thought it would be a good opportunity to ask about the new Greenville Supercharging station. As some of you may know this location (next to Whole Foods on Woodruff Road, just off I85) was going like gang-busters until, all of a sudden, it stopped. The bad news is that apparently there were some ...legal issues that cropped up that might nix the location: the good news is that an alternate site has been selected, and should be done by Thanksgiving!

Here is what I got directly from Tesla.

Our original plan ran into a legal impediment between our landlord and his neighbor, so we have a half done supercharger that's been in the ground since May. Yesterday, we began work on an alternate and it is moving fast. I think that no matter what happens, we'll be in the ground by thanksgiving. Please feel free to share this information with your customer and thank him for his willingness to lend a hand. The city of Greenville has been great to work with and I do not foresee any challenges on the new site.

9. franda1

franda1 Member

Great news. Thanks, enodog. We'll be interested now in the exact location, hoping it is comparable to the old site. Despite the bad neighbors, it was a great spot.

10. pgiralt

pgiralt Supporting Member

Someone keep and eye out on the old site and follow the truck that picks up the supercharger cabinets and drives them over to the new site. :)

11. GoodCheer

GoodCheer Member

Not that I know much of anything about traffic patterns in that neck of the woods, but if they're going to move, wouldn't Spartanburg, near the crossing of 85 and 26 put them on more people's long distance routes? For east-west (85) traffic, the difference is pretty trivial, but for north-south (26) traffic wouldn't it be much more convenient?

12. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Greenville is a better mid-point between Atlanta and Charlotte. You can make Columbia to Asheville, or Columbia to Charlotte in under 150 miles. Not to mention BMW being big in Spartanburg, it might be a little aggressive.

13. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Maybe BMW was behind the lawsuit(a) in Greenville? :scared:

14. Aekara

Aekara Member

did you happen to get location of new supercharger site in greenville?

15. Doug H2

Doug H2 Member

No change yet

I drove by the old Greenville, SC site last night on my way back to Atlanta. Nothing has moved. Everything looks the same.

16. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

Anybody have a chance to roll by the old spot that stalled to see if they are ripping up the equipment? Greenville is such a critical supercharger.. Anybody in the area who has time to give us a scouting report will be my hero!!! :)

17. drewnick

drewnick Member

I was up there Sunday and it's all sitting there just like it has been for five months.

18. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

Thanks for the update!

19. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

seems like Tesla should maybe just focus on Commerce and Charlotte if they aren't going to work on Greenville? That would make this corridor much less painful if Greenville is going to be so much trouble

20. pgiralt

pgiralt Supporting Member

Does anyone know when in October this meeting was supposed to happen? October is almost over, so at this point, Tesla might be able to just resume construction if they can work out the legal issues. Would sure be a lot faster than starting a new site.