Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hamburg, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching this thread for a while and finally created an account. I was able to confirm that they are still waiting for the transformer. I took some pictures of the empty pad where the transformer is supposed to go and the conduit for the electrical wires that will be connected to the transformer are covered with a piece of plywood.

Attachments

• 20211207_021759.jpg
    20211207_021759.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 20211207_021752.jpg
    20211207_021752.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 92
I was up there on 12-17, still no transformer yet.

20211217_110935.jpg

20211217_110946.jpg

20211217_110951.jpg

While I was there taking pics a guy in a blue M3 pulled up and parked there with me. We ended up talking for over 15 minutes about our cars and the inoperable charger. Apparently the missing transformer was a last minute change due to the Hamburg Township raising a fuss about energy usage or requirements or some such, so the transformer size was increased to something other than original equipment at the last minute, thus causing the delay.

Still no Xformer as of midday 12/20. We stopped at the Hamburg WaWa enroute from FL to MA with family aboard our Ford van - I got flak for icing one of the SC stalls until I pointed out that the site is not operational.
Yeah, when building superchargers I wish they would cover the parking signs until the site gets activated. Especially on sites that are sitting and waiting for a long time before they get energized.

Charging here now. Some thoughts:

1) 3 spaces ICE'd.

2) Not fully online yet. Not on map, "Current Session" fee not accumulating. Might be free?

3) Only got 40-50 kW starting around 47% SoC. Unclear why. 24 degrees F outside and couldn't precondition so maybe that, or operating on reduced service for first few days as new superchargers often do.

Update: Was charged for session.
1642350782160948291528830463418.jpg

Last edited:
Charging here now. Some thoughts:

1) 3 spaces ICE'd.

2) Not fully online yet. Not on map, "Current Session" fee not accumulating. Might be free?

3) Only got 40-50 kW starting around 47% SoC. Unclear why. 24 degrees F outside and couldn't precondition so maybe that, or operating on reduced service for first few days as new superchargers often do.

Update: Was charged for session.
View attachment 756286
as far as the ICEd spots, does the signage state EV-Only? I forget the exact verbiage but at the Wawa in Flemington the signage states something like "15 Minute Parking" but nothing that EV only. So others are free to park...which is not ideal.

Had my first stop at Hamburg yesterday on a trip from CNJ to Hershey,PA. Our trip was a game-time decision given the Nor'easter hitting NJ overnight. With only about 5 inches on the ground and a forecast that the storm would have less impact further west, we decided to go for it. They roads were relatively good when we left the house but surprisingly got worse and downright poor through western NJ. As we approached Allentown, PA it began to lessen and west of Allentown was great travel.

Energy consumption was high as temps outside ranged from 14F-17F with very gusty winds. Some of the crosswinds really blew about. So Hamburg was a very welcome stop, ABRP predicted 53% SOC on arrival, though I admittedly did not factor the lower temp and winds as I knew I would not be pushing any limits on range. The Tesla Nav had me around and estimated 51% and I actually arrived 44% as it adjusted enroute.

I was the only using one of the 8 stalls and the Wawa, of course, was clean for the bathroom stop, good coffee and a good hot sandwich for lunch as we hit the road from home with no breakfast. I got stopped by a nice gentleman in a pickup, when I tossed our trash, who had many questions on charging, range, battery life, charging cost etc.

I am happy to have this as Allentown, in the past, was the only other in-between choice before and it was often crowded.
Hamburg Resized.jpg

Edit - one note. When I left the house, I tried to input the Hamburg Supercharger as my destination in the Nav software. It does not recognize it or various iterations that I thought would work. We phoned the Wawa from to ensure it was operational. As we got with 20 mins of Hamburg I entered the audible command of 'go to supercharger' and it appeared as a choice in listing.

Last edited: