Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harlingen, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is REALLY good news. The S/C in Brownsville is a Sh#$ show in my not so humble opinion, and the one on S Padre is an old school 2 -bay 72kw tucked into a funky parking lot space at a Hotel. Driving to S Padre will be so much easier.

This is REALLY good news. The S/C in Brownsville is a Sh#$ show in my not so humble opinion, and the one on S Padre is an old school 2 -bay 72kw tucked into a funky parking lot space at a Hotel. Driving to S Padre will be so much easier.
Just out of curiosity, why don’t you like the Brownsville SC? I’ve charged there with no problems. As I say, just curious.

Just out of curiosity, why don’t you like the Brownsville SC? I’ve charged there with no problems. As I say, just curious.
Really just overly busy, stuck in the corner of that HEB parking lot, plus when I go to the valley and most others are too - I am headed to SPI to my condo. Brownsville + charging adds an extra hour either way. Because until now Kingsville would be the next stop North, you pretty much have to charge in SPI or Brownsville to get there. You have to get off the highway, fiddle through traffic lights, deal with the grocery store parking lot, etc. I get why its there - easier to get over to Boca Chica from there - but still, Im way happy about Harlingen. Its a way better location overall.

Really just overly busy, stuck in the corner of that HEB parking lot, plus when I go to the valley and most others are too - I am headed to SPI to my condo. Brownsville + charging adds an extra hour either way. Because until now Kingsville would be the next stop North, you pretty much have to charge in SPI or Brownsville to get there. You have to get off the highway, fiddle through traffic lights, deal with the grocery store parking lot, etc. I get why its there - easier to get over to Boca Chica from there - but still, Im way happy about Harlingen. Its a way better location overall.
Got it. I just came from SPI and had to juice up in Brownsville, though just a few electrons to get home. I was the only car there, but I know what you mean about the niggling traffic.

I would guess that once SpaceX starts making regular launches and more people come to watch, they’ll stay on the island. Eventually, there will be a need for “real” SC there - more than the puny two stall urban charger now.

It is a good location, I thought it was going to be around the Bass Pro Shops but it‘s only about 2 miles from there. I’m a little surprised they killed the planned Falfurrias supercharger - going from Three Rivers to McAllen on 281 is a long distance, once I was doing that route in bad weather and had to detour to Kingsville.

. I’m a little surprised they killed the planned Falfurrias supercharger - going from Three Rivers to McAllen on 281 is a long distance, once I was doing that route in bad weather and had to detour to Kingsville.
Agreed. Lots of times there is a strong headwind traveling southbound (typical South Texas prevailing wind) that makes the Three Rivers-McAllen leg rather interesting.

Reactions: wonderinguys
Per the Tesla website it looks like the SPI supercharger is no more. There were a lot of destination chargers at that same Beach Resort parking and a Taco Palenque inside. There is also a destination charger at the Hilton Garden Inn.

As to Harlingen it was just announced so no news so far. Fill up in Kingsville and you might even consider going down to Brownsville supercharger (250Kw) and then doubling back up to TX 48 to the Island. You'd have a lot more juice for driving around that way.

• Helpful
Reactions: CarlS
Per the Tesla website it looks like the SPI supercharger is no more. There were a lot of destination chargers at that same Beach Resort parking and a Taco Palenque inside. There is also a destination charger at the Hilton Garden Inn.

As to Harlingen it was just announced so no news so far. Fill up in Kingsville and you might even consider going down to Brownsville supercharger (250Kw) and then doubling back up to TX 48 to the Island. You'd have a lot more juice for driving around that way.
Where are u seeing SPI is no more? I still see it in their Find Us page and in the in-car nav

Reactions: AudreyHTX1

The SPI Supercharger still shows up on the Tesla website. South Padre Island, TX Supercharger | Tesla

Reactions: AudreyHTX1