Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Harlingen, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is open according to the RGV Tesla Owners FB group - (not my photo)
1660482300492.png

Last edited:
The Harlingen Supercharger is operating - I might not have been the first customer, but I think I was one of the 1st 5 based on the new power meter.

Based on the smaller cord diameter, it appears to be a 72W charger. Car computer reflected that as well.

Excellent location, exit 173 Stuart Place on Interstate 2 West or East. Nearby Exxon for snacks or bathroom. Several midscale restaurants (Wing Barn, Johnny Rockets, Cheddars). Also an upscale place called Dos Olivos Market looked like a nice place for a glass of wine.

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
The Harlingen Supercharger is operating - I might not have been the first customer, but I think I was one of the 1st 5 based on the new power meter.

Based on the smaller cord diameter, it appears to be a 72W charger. Power meter reflected that as well.

Excellent location, exit 173 Stuart Place on Interstate 2 West or East. Nearby Exxon for snacks or bathroom. Several midscale restaurants (Wing Barn, Johnny Rockets, Cheddars). Also an upscale place called Dos Olivos Market looked like a nice place for a glass of wine.

View attachment 841165
View attachment 841164

V3 liquid cooled cables are relatively thin compared to uncooled.
It's common for Superchargers initially to give reduced output.

Based on the smaller cord diameter, it appears to be a 72W charger. Car computer reflected that as well.

View attachment 841165
View attachment 841164

This is a V3 250 kW station. It has thinner, liquid-cooled cables compared to the previous generation V2 150 kW stations.

The meter has a multiplier of 480 according to the label on the bottom left. This site has dispensed 1,440 kWh since it opened on Friday.

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
As I pulled into the Harlingen Supercharger for a quick top up, I saw this guy with his trailer parked across several stalls. I immediately started firming the harsh words I would have fir ICE driver taking so many slots. As I got closer, I saw that it was a Model Y towing the Airstream and he was charging up. The driver was very friendly. He was coming in from Iowa on the way to Rocket Ranch over near Boca Chica. He said the best he could do was 107 miles between charges.

Gutsy guy!
5F14575E-5C5A-4293-8CD2-94E07DAEC875.jpeg

I remember when the Harlingen SC was first announced. Some folks wondered why Tesla would build another SC in the Rio Grande Valley since there were existing ones in Brownsville and McAllen. (The 2 stall Urban SC on South Padre Island doesn't count.) My theory was that once SpaceX started regular launches, there would be a lot of visitors.

I went over to the Island this morning for the first launch of the Super Heavy Booster with Starship on top. (It was delayed.) As expected, I saw a lot of Teslas there. On my way back home to McAllen, I was curious about both the Brownsville and Harlingen sites and checked the car nav. Sure enough, both were full with longish wait times.

I just checked Kingsville; there is a 20 minute wait time. Now I'm wondering if Tesla will add still another SC to the Valley - preferably a big one on the island.

Here is Harlingen. (I didn't need the charge - just wanted to take a pic.)

Tesla Supercharger Harlingen 4-17-23.jpg

We also attended the launch as we were staying at the island for a few days and I noticed after the launch attempt that the chargers at Harlingen, Brownsville and Kingsville were all full with waits. Kingsville took a long time to clear. The urban charger on the island was full all the afternoon and evening before the launch and following it. Yep huge number of Teslas on the island. Fortunately I was able to use something at our hotel.

The Kingsville supercharger is pretty critical for getting out of the Valley via 77 as distances from there to other chargers are long. And it’s an older V2 8 charger setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlS
Isn't there a short ferry ride to Port Isabel from South Padre ? I remember taking my car on a short 1/2 mile ferry ride from South Padre, on a route that skips Corpus Christy.
No, there is a long causeway that links the island to Port Isabel. We are far from Corpus Christi (~150 miles). Brownsville is the closest large city. You may be thinking of Port Aransas.

Reactions: Electroman