Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hays, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
008.JPG
My brother-in-law grabbed this shot for me in Hays this evening.

If I had extra time I would love to make the trek out for the ribbon cutting, but 500 miles one way is a bit far (with no superchargers in between) for an out and back.

On a downer note, I have been periodically checking for permits in Columbia, MO (nothing spotted yet), but I am worried that Tesla may hold off on Missouri superchargers due to the recent actions of a couple of our state representatives during the last legislative sessions (see Trouble in Missouri). I only note this as the proposed amendment that was snuck in on a house bill during the last session (fortunately voting was put on hold and kicked back to the senate) barred not only sales, but also any type of education of product/enticement and reportedly a supercharger could be interpreted as such. I hope I am wrong and just being paranoid.

Looks like three of these spots in Hays are reserved for Tesla charging and three are marked as general use with 30/60 minute time limits.

Also looks like these are all (newer version) 135 kW Superchargers.

--Heck: by adding just Wichita, KS and a Oklahoma City vicinity location, Texas could connect to rest of existing SpC loop (at least for an 85).
Now that's worth looking forward to.

The friendly Superintendent of the Planning, Inspection, Enforcement Division in Hays sent me the note below. I will send him thanks. Looks like the ribbon cutting will be on Friday! As others have said there may not be many owner Teslas there, but remember these ribbon cuttings are for the locals as well.

Hays will probably stay pretty quiet until several more Superchargers fill in I-70 from Denver to St Louis. To refresh memories, sites under construction are Limon, CO and Goodland, KS. Very probable upcoming locations are Salina, KS; Topeka, KS; Independence, MO; and Columbia, MO.

You will be pleased to know that our Inspection staff completed the final inspection this afternoon for the new Tesla Supercharger Station in Hays. A Tesla rep. was on site with a Tesla doing final checks and checking the charging. I believe it is live and operational. A ceremonial ribbon cutting is scheduled for this week Friday. I hope you get a chance to travel east and make a stop in Hays along the way. Attached are a couple of pictures of the new stations.

Have a nice rest of the week!

Hays - Tesla Charging Stations.JPG
Hays - Tesla Charging Station Front.JPG

Tesla Motors confirmed today that the Hays Supercharger is Now Open.

----
The planet’s fastest charging station is now just a road trip away! We are excited to announce our first Supercharger in Kansas. The Hays Supercharger is part of a growing series of Superchargers that will support travel along Interstate 70 between Denver and Kansas City for free, for life.
----

I suspect I received this e-mail announcement since I'm signed up on their list and a Kansas resident....

Tesla Motors confirmed today that the Hays Supercharger is Now Open.

----
The planet’s fastest charging station is now just a road trip away! We are excited to announce our first Supercharger in Kansas. The Hays Supercharger is part of a growing series of Superchargers that will support travel along Interstate 70 between Denver and Kansas City for free, for life.
----

I suspect I received this e-mail announcement since I'm signed up on their list and a Kansas resident....

I got the same e-mail, living in Colorado. Interesting that it says "...support travel along Interstate 70 between Denver and Kansas City...", and not Denver to St Louis.

Also nice that they photo a photo in the e-mail that is from Hays!

Hays-Announce.jpg

I got the same e-mail, living in Colorado. Interesting that it says "...support travel along Interstate 70 between Denver and Kansas City...", and not Denver to St Louis.

Code:
SELECT CASE COUNT(*)
         WHEN 0 THEN NULL
         WHEN 1 THEN MAX( 'along ' || mr.major_route_name
                       || ' between ' || mc1.major_city_name
                       || ' and ' || mc2.major_city_name )
         ELSE
           REPLACE( REGEXP_REPLACE( LISTAGG( 'along ' || mr.major_route_name
                                          || ' between ' || mc1.major_city_name
                                          || ' and ' || mc2.major_city_name
                                           , '::' )
                                        WITHIN GROUP ( ORDER BY mr.major_route_traffic DESC )
                                  , '::'
                                  , ' and '
                                  , 1
                                  , COUNT(*) - 1 )
                  , '::'
                  , ', ' )
       END                                                                      route_text
FROM    supercharger_locations sl
INNER JOIN supercharger_location_routes slr
ON      slr.supercharger_location_id = sl.supercharger_location_id
INNER JOIN major_routes mr
ON     mr.major_route_id = slr.major_route_id
INNER JOIN major_cities mc1
ON     mc1.major_city_id = mr.major_city_id_1
INNER JOIN major_cities mc2
ON     mc2.major_city_id = mr.major_city_id_1
WHERE  sl.supercharger_location_id = :p_supercharger_location_id;

Or, to put it more simply, they will likely consider important routes between major cities, identify on which routes a Supercharger sits and list those routes.

My parents sent me this photo last night from the Hays, KS Supercharger location. They are on a road trip and, after driving my Model S last weekend, have started paying attention to all things Tesla, so they were really excited to send this to me. They also claimed that the CEO of Applebee's was scheduled to be at the ribbon cutting today. I don't know about the veracity of that last detail, nor the significance of it (is Applebee's based in Hays?) but thought it was an interesting detail...

jehu9ujy.jpg

My parents sent me this photo last night from the Hays, KS Supercharger location. They are on a road trip and, after driving my Model S last weekend, have started paying attention to all things Tesla, so they were really excited to send this to me. They also claimed that the CEO of Applebee's was scheduled to be at the ribbon cutting today. I don't know about the veracity of that last detail, nor the significance of it (is Applebee's based in Hays?) but thought it was an interesting detail...

Nope out of Decatur, Georgia. Maybe its good timing or just the owner of that location?

View attachment 207826
Thanks to the Tesla from Russell county blocking half of the Superchargers in Hays today. :mad:

Maybe they haven't figured out how to properly reverse the car yet?
Kinda easy to park if you can (just) watch your mirrors and the camera image on the center screen.

Or perhaps they consider themselves the only Tesla worthy of charging at this location.
o_O
Bleh...
And that there are no consequences for their inconsiderate short-term actions in the long-term.

Karma will show up in their life soon enough.

What would be cool is if two Teslas showed up and utilized the charger directly in front of the A-hole and directly behind the A-hole. I mean like 6" in front of and 6" behind and then *they* went off to enjoy a long meal.
There are only 6 stalls at that location and he was blocking the three on the west. I suppose someone could've parked behind him but wouldn't have been able to plug in.