Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kennebunk, ME (I-95 NB and SB service plazas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Northbound chargers are open, but how do you get there, if you are not on the freeway? GPS takes you on the ramp, where you can see the chargers, but you cannot make a turn to it, since this is illegal. Any suggestions?
The southbound chargers are open as well. You need to go through the too like you are getting on the turnpike. Then make a left and follow that road until the second right. The super chargers will be right there for you to use.

Definitely Superchargers? Could it be other DCFC?

If Superchargers, they'd better not get pedestals before the other Superchargers in Northern Maine and New Brunswick.

To follow up on this, there was an article in December 2018 about installation of DCFC through Maine.

State prepares to install string of high-speed chargers for electric vehicles

Portland Press Herald said:
ChargePoint will put ultra-fast charging stations at the Maine Turnpike visitor plazas in Kennebunk (northbound and southbound) and West Gardiner, on Route 302 in the Bridgton and Naples area, in Farmington near the intersection of Route 2 and Route 27, in Jackman and in another location along Route 201.

(My bold).

So, it could be the beginning of that installation.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Thank you for taking this!
Kennebunk Northbound sure came in handy for me last week, twice actually! I was in a bit of a rush to get to Portland ME's PWM Airport, 9 minutes of Supercharge worked out really well.
https://twitter.com/paulbraren/status/1150501821863137282

059537E3-AE4C-4701-998F-C464659284D8.jpeg
FC74895E-A494-4332-9C96-4ECCE9A765B7.jpeg
B05ECF4E-24B2-4D9B-A336-09865F052A5F.jpeg
2019-07-24_10-15-23.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Kennebunk Northbound sure came in handy for me last week, twice actually! I was in a bit of a rush to get to Portland ME's PWM Airport, 9 minutes of Supercharge worked out really well.

Apparently somebody else needed it as well.

Riding with friends a few weeks ago, they stopped for gas at Kennebunk Southbound and I saw a Model 3 charging.

So, the Superchargers there are definitely getting some use.

• Helpful
Reactions: tga
Apparently somebody else needed it as well.

Riding with friends a few weeks ago, they stopped for gas at Kennebunk Southbound and I saw a Model 3 charging.

So, the Superchargers there are definitely getting some use.

I was coming back on Sunday evening from up north, and I counted 4 Teslas on the southbound side (I didn't need to stop). Most I've seen this summer (usually northbound Thursdays, southbound on Sundays)

If there is no other transformer installed, then it's unlikely it's anything other than an expansion of the Supercharger.

Tesla paid for all of that, and I find it unlikely they would allow conduit and other-branded charging stations to be tied into their setup.

All we have right now is that there is fencing for more construction.

Note that at the Augusta, ME Supercharger power was run from near a transformer at the nearby Red Robin, to the Supercharger transformer.

Here, at least for homes, you pay for a connection, and the connection to the transformer is owned by the utility, but you have a financial interest in the connection. Your interest in it is amortized over a number of years. If during that period the connection is then extended/used by somebody else, they effectively buy into the connection and you have part of the cost refunded.

So, Tesla wouldn't have a say in what happens beyond the transformer.

Last edited:
All we have right now is that there is fencing for more construction.

Note that at the Augusta, ME Supercharger power was run from near a transformer at the nearby Red Robin, to the Supercharger transformer.

Here, at least for homes, you pay for a connection, and the connection to the transformer is owned by the utility, but you have a financial interest in the connection. Your interest in it is amortized over a number of years. If during that period the connection is then extended/used by somebody else, they effectively buy into the connection and you have part of the cost refunded.

So, Tesla wouldn't have a say in what happens beyond the transformer.

That may be how it works for residential if you're running power to your property. Is that how it works for commercial applications as well?