Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at this Supercharger at 6PM today. Third visit, first time charging. Easy to get in and out of. Less than half full. Huge lines at the nearby gas stations!

This site is incredible. I have seen the future of long distance travel and this is it. I love it.

What we're those people *thinking* when they bought those gas powered cars? :eek:

RT

Drove from NorCal to Los Angeles yesterday and Kettleman wasn’t originally in my plans but had to wait at two locations (and got reduced rate at another) so we altered our charging plan. No wait at Kettleman City, 97kw and a lounge to relax in!

Just so I’d know what I was up against I kept checking the available stalls durning the drive and the busiest I saw was a moment with 22 in use. We finally landed there around 3:45 and it felt busy but not crowded. Really like this spot!

I was at this Supercharger at 6PM today. Third visit, first time charging. Easy to get in and out of. Less than half full. Huge lines at the nearby gas stations!

This site is incredible. I have seen the future of long distance travel and this is it. I love it. Kudos to Tesla!

And most of us here get free charging too, while the huge lines at the nearby gas station have to pay high gasoline prices. Looking forward to charge up here on my next trip down to San Diego. Love it. Thanks Tesla!!!

In practice they don't change the lounge codes often enough to avoid vandalism. Tesla hasn't yet experienced problems I know of, but it is a concern.

There are very few such lounges, but some have been around for many years already, so I'm basing my conclusions on practice at those lounges (I used Seaside and they never changed the code while I owned my first Tesla).

For accountability and tracking of possible vandalism, if a problem arises, how hard would it be to have a unique code as each car charges? The digital lock would need to be a live connection.

Reactions: ohmman
Not traveling today, thank dog, but hopped in the car to take a look at SC availability up and down the state at 4:30pm on the Sunday after thanksgiving.

Good news is it seems the expansion over the last year has made some significant impact. Kettleman City is less than half full. Most others I checked up and down the valley were less than half full as well. Bakersfield was full but Buttonwillow was empty. Couldn’t get availability info for Tejon ranch for some reason, but can assume that one’s full.

Spot check across SoCal and the Bay Area didn’t show anything crazy.

That traffic tho... I feel for all the poor unfortunate souls on I-5 right now.

72311F12-A2A5-418B-B1FB-F9F3ACBFC77B.jpeg

Not traveling today, thank dog, but hopped in the car to take a look at SC availability up and down the state at 4:30pm on the Sunday after thanksgiving.

Good news is it seems the expansion over the last year has made some significant impact. Kettleman City is less than half full. Most others I checked up and down the valley were less than half full as well. Bakersfield was full but Buttonwillow was empty. Couldn’t get availability info for Tejon ranch for some reason, but can assume that one’s full.

Spot check across SoCal and the Bay Area didn’t show anything crazy.

That traffic tho... I feel for all the poor unfortunate souls on I-5 right now.

View attachment 262985
Wow, that traffic is nuts. It migh help with Supercharger occupancy rates: the rate of arrivals is being slowed by traffic.
Still amazed how no one seems to hit Buttonwillow (I know it is not as nice of an area). Bakersfield will always be busier, so skip it if all you want is electrons.

For those who were caught up in this massive traffic and inching along - how was your wh/mile ?

Did the slow speeds and stop and go traffic hurt your range?

No, travelling slower actually EXTENDS the range of EV's, unlike ICE vehicles.

A Model S has gotten as far as 525 miles on a single charge travelling at city road speeds (below 25 mph mind you, but you get the drift, EVs are much more efficient than ICE engines).