Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Holiday travel back up. Every supercharger spot is full and there is a line that eventually extended around the building. The Tesla barista informed me that it has been this busy all week. Pack your patience when while Tesla road tripping during thr summer holidays.

Attachments

• 20190707_140836.jpg
    20190707_140836.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 83
Elon needs to install some of those fancy super-duper superchargers (v.3?) in the busy corridors. Will cut the charge time in half.
If you follow the thread on the V3 charger at Fremont you will see that a Model 3 takes 25 minutes from 8% to 80% and that same car on a V2 150kW Supercharger takes 30 mins. I think its gonna take a Raven or newer vehicle to really NEED the V3 chargers, like maybe a Semi.

Reactions: Zoomit and Big Earl
Elon needs to install some of those fancy super-duper superchargers (v.3?) in the busy corridors. Will cut the charge time in half.
Faster chargers and more large stations like Kettleman are needed across the board. As Teslaa become more and more common this will be a frequent occurrence on holiday travel, at major entertainment events, and during disaster evacuations if Tesla doesn't invest heavily in infrastructure expansion.

Reactions: logan
There have been lines at Kettleman City before, last Christmas IIRC. There are also a number of alternatives to Kettleman City (Harris Ranch, Buttonwillow, Bakersfield) that can be used with a bit of planning.

I agree with @SMAlset that 40 stalls are going to work off that line reasonably quickly.

(Poisson arrival process of Tesla’s into a single queue with 40 servers, not sure what to say about the service time...wish I could remember all of my queueing theory and stochastic processes from grad school.)

Bruce.

Reactions: ohmman

Holiday travel back up. Every supercharger spot is full and there is a line that eventually extended around the building. The Tesla barista informed me that it has been this busy all week. Pack your patience when while Tesla road tripping during thr summer holidays.

Saw you videoing the line at Kettleman SuperCharger and spoke to you at the Gustine SuperCharger.

Good job on the video report and thank you.
Arrived at Kettleman SuperCharger with no line and within a few minutes, this line as seen in the video for formed. Counted at least 9 possibly 10 Teslas waited at the time of the video. As we left, additional Teslas formed that reached pass the corner and saw several Teslas heading to line up before we reached I-5.

Saw 1 Tesla coming in the other access (should be an exit, did not want to call it an entrance). This could cause a conflict between Tesla Owners.

Reactions: Dadiggaman
I was there around the time when that video was filmed. The line was 6 cars deep from when I arrived until I left. About 30 minutes. There was an attendant guiding the cars. 3 or 4 stations were down completely. I timed the time it would take the 6th car to reach a charger which was about 10 minutes. Things flowed pretty smoothly for as busy as it was.

Reactions: Dadiggaman
Between Harris ranch, kettleman, Bakersfield, and buttonwillow, it was about 70 chargers packed almost the entire day turning a car over every 30-40 minutes. That's a lot of cars.
I'm curious about this. Were there lineups at the other nearby superchargers as well?

I get that everyone wants to visit the lounge at Kettleman, but if you're in a hurry, it shouldn't be too difficult to avoid if you want to.

If you follow the thread on the V3 charger at Fremont you will see that a Model 3 takes 25 minutes from 8% to 80% and that same car on a V2 150kW Supercharger takes 30 mins. I think its gonna take a Raven or newer vehicle to really NEED the V3 chargers, like maybe a Semi.
I think that more useful than the straight speed bump to 250 kW will actually be that the V3 chargers don't power split. Your example of 8% to 80% is for when the stall is giving full power. And sure, a 5 minute improvement doesn't sound like all that much in that circumstance. But compare it to the same 8% to 80% when the Model 3 has plugged in second and gets only 36 kW or 72 kW for the first 10-15 minutes of the charge session. The time differential is going to be more significant. So, for less than half full stations, the speed upgrade may not matter that much. But for really busy stations, the improvement in throughput can be pretty significant.

Though for a really large station like Kettleman, even that probably won't be such a big improvement. The stall turnover when it's full has got to be spread out enough to limit the amount of time stuck at the lower charging speeds when splitting.