TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger Locations UK

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by jontracey, Nov 16, 2013.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Seems like a really great, anonymous solution. Obviously risks being "physically bumped" when you get back to your car, but the more dangerous times for that are the times you'd be less likely to need bumping.

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

West Drayton

20150716_145240.jpg

3 stalls by the road and 2 more coming by the building.

3. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Yes they're just unfinished.

The bays all have bright red floor paint and very obvious signs saying "Tesla Parking Only" but no neon illuminated logos!

4. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

Can't wait for my Tesla, this is going to be one of the locations I charge it. Plus I also have White City Westfield and Park Inn (Heathrow) nearby too.

5. 4dz

4dz Member

I was there earlier today as they're having a look at a couple of issues for me.

all but 1 of the supercharger bays were occupied and I don't think it was by visitors, looked like they were being used by the service centre?

i guess they would move one if you asked inside though.

6. badboy1980

badboy1980 Member

i hope during 2016 these super chargers spread like wild fire. Does anyone know if it is possible to get one fitted at home? Thats assuming you can get a 3 phase supply with the correct transformer.

7. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

Yes you can. You need 200A 3 phase, and about £150,000.

There are rumours that a couple of people with more money than sense have done this, but it's hard to see why. It would be cheaper for you to use a "hypercharger" which takes you from empty to full in less than a minute: you just buy a second Model S and swap between the two cars :)

8. bp1000

bp1000 Member

For 150k I'd rather buy a mclaren 650s and use that when my tesla is out of juice!

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

£150,000 does seem unlikely given it's just a stack of Model S chargers in a box...

10. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

$10k seems unlikely since it's just a fuse :)

11. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

Do you suppose that is why Eurotunnel has one 1km from the other (pre-existing) one in Calais? MW

12. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

No.

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Report from a user on SpeakEV.

14. Gerasimental

Gerasimental Member

Great news, thanks for sharing it. Always have liked Welcome Break, will feel that bit better stopping off there for a coffee now.
    I was looking at the UK SC map earlier, and thought back to when my family members were dismissing Tesla as impractical and mentioning how there were only 8 superchargers in the whole country. Well, there's 28 now and I imagine by year's end it could be well above 40. I look forward to having Mk II of this conversation over Christmas.

15. RoyRichardson

RoyRichardson New Member

Now that the legal bid by Ecotricity to stop Tesla from putting Superchargers at Motorway services has come to an end we should start seeing many more popping up across the motorway network over the next 6 months

16. m3gt2

m3gt2 Member

Does anyone know if Leicester Forest East Services will get a Supercharger and if so when? Thanks

17. smac

smac Active Member

Outside Tesla no one knows.

Personally I think it will be low on the list, as you have Northampton south, and Tankersley north already servicing the M1, and it's quite possible to get from South Mimms to Tankersley on a single charge even in an S60. Another thing against it is it doesn't service both carriageways from one exit.

They will be much better off sorting A1(M) around Peterborough next IMHO.

18. Parax

Parax Member

I think J24A Donington Services would be more likely than LFE or Trowell. It would serve far more "Routes" A50, A/M42, M1 (&M69), A6, East Midlands Airport, and a single site is accessible from all roads/routes.

I think that Peterborough area on the A1 does need something, but I'd be happy with spomething at newmarket serving Both the A11 and A14 Routes.

I do notice that the 2016 forecast shows a SC in Norwich I don't understand which route this would be serving.. surely it'd end up as a local use only charger...

19. m3gt2

m3gt2 Member

Well I would be very happy if they installed them at Donnington services also! And what you say does make perfect sense.

20. smac

smac Active Member

The slight issue with Donington is it's a Moto services, I'm not sure they have any agreements in place yet. Otherwise I agree Donington Services would be a good choice, though they would need to be mindful of heavy taxi use doing shuttle work out of EMA or make sure it's a 4+ bay site.

I think Norwich is aimed to give total coverage. Without it round trips out towards the East Anglian coast are slightly problematic.