Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Locations UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger at Edinburgh Airport now open. Supercharger | Tesla Motors. Very nice, but it is a large gap from the Birmingham supercharger, 311 miles to be exact. You would need to travel between 45 and 50 mph to do it it real life situations. See Uk estimated range in miles, if you didn't top up anywhere else.

I went up to Edinburgh for the festival but we chose to fly. With the current superchargers (which are still just the tip of a hopefully large iceberg) I'd consider doing the journey in the car. From Kent to Birmingham is easy, with lunch at the Hyatt while it fills back up. A 30 minute mid-afternoon stop for coffee somewhere in the North West with an Ecotricity point, and then an hour for dinner somewhere in the Borders (also with ecotricity) and you've picked up 90 miles of range, giving you a 25 mile buffer when you arrive in Edinburgh. Not ideal, but totally doable.

Of course a single supercharging stop near Leeds would be better :)

Another Supercharger now working. Gz tesla, ty. Please keep them coming.

250 South Oak Way
Reading
RG2 6UG
England

I went up to Edinburgh for the festival but we chose to fly. With the current superchargers (which are still just the tip of a hopefully large iceberg) I'd consider doing the journey in the car. From Kent to Birmingham is easy, with lunch at the Hyatt while it fills back up. A 30 minute mid-afternoon stop for coffee somewhere in the North West with an Ecotricity point, and then an hour for dinner somewhere in the Borders (also with ecotricity) and you've picked up 90 miles of range, giving you a 25 mile buffer when you arrive in Edinburgh. Not ideal, but totally doable.

Of course a single supercharging stop near Leeds would be better

Hopefully Manchester Supercharger will come online soon. This would help the journey.

I can confirm the Superchargers in Westfield centre, Shepherds Bush are working and online. They are not officially open but we had an emergency (12 miles of charge left, and the charging port wouldn't open) and we went there hoping to use the Source London chargers. The port did open after a while and we ended up getting enough charge in 40 minutes to get to Birmingham.

I'm not yet a tesla owner but I'm researching.

Im curious do some supercharger locations charge you for parking (eg john Lewis car park ones in Bristol) or is everything free?

Also wondering if anyone has any more updates for this thread. I'm especially interested in the Cornwall (possibly Newquay) charger and also the one that might be near the northbound m6 near m6 toll in Staffordshire?

Thanks

Some places do charge for parking - e.g. the Westfield Shopping Centre
John Lewis in Bristol does not (Its part of the Mall at Cribbs Causeway shopping centre that has free parking)

The Supercharger map on the TM website gives details for each location including parking charges and close by amenities Find Us | Tesla Motors UK

Cheers

Im curious do some supercharger locations charge you for parking (eg john Lewis car park ones in Bristol) or is everything free?

So far as I know, all the ones on the 'long distance' network are free of parking charges. Some of the central London ones are in carparks where you have to pay the normal parking charge to go in - they are intended for people who live locally without on-street parking to charge while they are doing their shopping (so would have been paying parking charges anyhow).

The ones where you have to pay to park are noted in the details box when you click on the supercharger icons in the 'find us' map on the main Tesla website.

Also wondering if anyone has any more updates for this thread. I'm especially interested in the Cornwall (possibly Newquay) charger and also the one that might be near the northbound m6 near m6 toll in Staffordshire?

I don't think either of those has been spotted yet. There's two more known (Tankersley Manor, near Sheffield and Cheltenham Chase, near Gloucester - these like Warrington and Norton Park are all Q-Hotels sites), and various speculation of other sites based on same hotel group, Sainsbury's sites (allegedly in South Wales, but unconfirmed), and the hotel group hosting the new one in Leeds who have some other interesting locations - but none at the places you mention.

I'm not yet a tesla owner but I'm researching.

Thanks

There are 2 open superchargers near Exeter and the Supercharger map for 2015 shows one Bodmin area Supercharger | Tesla Motors Europe and 2015

Thanks guys!

How about courtesy and the unwritten rules. If I travel somewhere and I need to charge, I assume it's bad manners to leave it hooked up and go off shopping for a few hours.

To to give an example, I would be travelling from staffordshire to london. My brother has a house in the docklands and there they have a few superchargers. If I stop and hook up the car and go into london, I might not get back for hours, even all day. This is not acceptable right?

Another example I would travel from staffordshire to the wyatt hotel in Birmingham centre, hook up the car and go shopping. Whatmdo you guys do, do you sit with the car and wait or do you leave it parked up for a few hours.

Thanks

Thanks guys!

How about courtesy and the unwritten rules. If I travel somewhere and I need to charge, I assume it's bad manners to leave it hooked up and go off shopping for a few hours.

To to give an example, I would be travelling from staffordshire to london. My brother has a house in the docklands and there they have a few superchargers. If I stop and hook up the car and go into london, I might not get back for hours, even all day. This is not acceptable right?

Another example I would travel from staffordshire to the wyatt hotel in Birmingham centre, hook up the car and go shopping. Whatmdo you guys do, do you sit with the car and wait or do you leave it parked up for a few hours.

Thanks

From the teslamotors site: "We ask our customers to use courtesy while charging. Once your Model S has completed charging, we ask that you move your vehicle to make the spot available for other Model S owners."

As long as the car is actually charging it is always OK for it to be in a charging space (and there is no obligation on you to be nearby, though some people leave contact details on a note on the dash). But at any rapid charger like a supercharger then once charging is finished you really should be thinking about relocating the car ASAP.

Slower chargers in station car parks, park & ride sites, etc are clearly designed so that you can leave your car there and catch a train. And they mostly have signage indicating the stay limits (for example in Westminster all the on-street charging bays have a 4 hour limit).

Thanks guys!

Thanks

Easiest rule I know of charging is ABC ..... Always Be Charging while in a charging spot.

I always leave my contact number on view too.

Thanks guys!

Thanks

Yep really poor form to leave your car charging at any form of Rapid charging (Superchargers or CHAdeMO points). You wouldn't leave your car at a petrol pump, and go off shopping for the day ;)

Really in the case where you would be parking the car up all day anyway, you should be looking for a car park with 7kW charging facilities.

Be warned though, there is a high probability of EV charging points being blocked by petrol cars, and you will need to plan ahead and make sure you have the right card and it's not broken. My own success rate has been really poor, so I wouldn't rely on it.

Personally I'd factor in a backup plan that included charging on my way home, and feel pleased with myself if I managed to get a car park with a usable charger :)

Edit: Have a look on Charging points and electric vehicles UK 2015 - Zap Map and see if there are any convenient chargers, you'll see which cards you need to get.

Note that the mobile app gives you alerts when the car reaches 80% full (optionally for normal charging, always enabled for supercharging), and you can obviously open up the app at any time to see how things are going.

The situation is rather different at Superchargers (sufficiently quick that you haven't got time to get far away from the Supercharger before it's done), and other public charging where it's so slow you can reasonably leave the car there all day.

Tesla Super Chargers are being installed at Hopwood Services M42

I would imagine if there are regular queuing issues the amount of bays will be increased. However that would still take time leaving people waiting in the lurch.

I know that most of the service stations do the 2hour parking thing because there were lots of problems with colleagues meeting at service stations in 4+ cars, and carpooling in one to work wherever that may be. I'm not sure how strict it is. If it is ANPR however then of course there is an issue.

I just wanted to share some fantastic news, You all may know that the legal issues with Tesla and Ecotricity have now been resolved. Great news for Tesla owners. Hopwood services on J2 M42 is now being installed with 5 super chargers. This may also mean that South Mimms will be commissioned soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 381
I just wanted to share some fantastic news, You all may know that the legal issues with Tesla and Ecotricity have now been resolved. Great news for Tesla owners. Hopwood services on J2 M42 is now being installed with 5 super chargers. This may also mean that South Mimms will be commissioned soon.

South Mimms already is commissioned (with just the original 2 stalls). Thanks for the Hopwood photo though.