Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Moosic, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More photos coming after im less pissed at Tesla.

Attachments

• IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    404.9 KB · Views: 104
Yes. That's why we drove 130 miles one way. Upon arrive it's still under construction. KWH meter installed. Door to Hv cabinets not Locked. 1/8 roped off. No juice at 4 that I tried. I called tesla who says it's open. Not a happy camper.

Attachments

• IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
Yes. That's why we drove 130 miles one way. Upon arrive it's still under construction. KWH meter installed. Door to Hv cabinets not Locked. 1/8 roped off. No juice at 4 that I tried. I called tesla who says it's open. Not a happy camper.

Who you gonna believe, Tesla or your own two lyin' eyes? :confused:

Hope you have enough charge to make it to another station.

With Moosic, PA open, I-81 is "complete". The largest gap between Superchargers is 149 miles from the start near Dandridge, TN. The next largest gap is 119 miles.
Complete is double-quoted because truthfully it's 198 miles from Knoxville, TN to Wytheville, VA so it needs a site to split it. It looks like Tesla's plan is to add one near Bristol, VA in 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and madodel
With Moosic, PA open, I-81 is "complete". The largest gap between Superchargers is 149 miles from the start near Dandridge, TN. The next largest gap is 119 miles.
Complete is double-quoted because truthfully it's 198 miles from Knoxville, TN to Wytheville, VA so it needs a site to split it. It looks like Tesla's plan is to add one near Bristol, VA in 2017.

That would be good. I did Wytheville - Asheville on my road trip a couple weeks ago - 174 miles of mountain grades and freezing weather was a bit much (but by staying to 65 with lowered climate settings I made it without issues.)

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Long time lurker - I created an account to tell this story. My wife and I started an 1,700 mile New Years trip last Thursday headed from home (northern VA) to Norfolk, VA, up to Boston and back home with some small side trips. Coming home last night I wanted to stay off of 95 if possible and I noticed a new super charger at Scranton on the map. Lit up and looking just like all of the other super chargers on the map. It was solid red which meant that it was in reach given my current battery range. We clicked on navigate and blissfully headed of to discover a new super charger. When we arrived I had 12% battery and it was 29 degrees out. The entire site was dark and without power. Thankfully I had overcharged at Newburgh, NY since we were enjoying an awesome meal at the restuarant (several spots open and only one iced). I am equally as thankful that Tannersville, PA is so close. We drove speed limit or just below and rolled in there with enough juice left to make me a little nervous. I called Tesla support and she couldn't find this super charger on her system and when I looked back it had disappeared from the map. I told her that they couldn't light things up on the map if they weren't open since we really, really depend on this information being accurate. She thanked me politely and informed me that she would pass this along to "the team".

On our last big super charger trip we pulled into South Hill, VA on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving at 11:00 PM with a low battery and the restaurant bumping. Every single spot was iced, all 8 of them. 150 miles to go and a low battery. It took a half an hour to find the owner and get a car moved.

Our last trip we took my wife's conventional car and, predictably, we had no issues. It's a real commitment to take a Tesla on a long trip. Normally the auto pilot features outweigh the inconvenience and we love the car. I see that a lot of the west coast super chargers are clogged up and I am wondering how long that takes to make it's way east. The last time we came through Glen Allen a Men's Wearhouse truck was blocking 5 of the 8 chargers while they took there time unloading. A lot of these issues are beyond Tesla's control, but lighting up a dead supercharger in the navigation system is inexcusable. Had we sat there in the cold on New Years day waiting to be hauled in by a ranger due to corporate negligence my first act of 2017 would have been to sell my Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel and CSFTN
Tesla is absolutely needing to come to terms regarding non-tesla vehicles parked at superchargers. In my neck of the woods there's even a sign that says it's okay for public parking as long as it's 30 minutes or less. That's not a good policy. This was a Tesla provided sign. There ought to be a number to call to get immediate towing and that cars other than Teslas parked in those areas are breaking the law. That's the only way you're going to deal with it.
I'm a whole lot more concerned about being ICED than I am Tesla's parked over some arbitrary time limit.

OK, I will bite.
You shouldn't buy a BEV (Battery-powered Electrical Vehicle) if you don't have the ability to charge it. Sorry. Superchargers are, in fact, intended for use in facilitating long distance travel, not as your main source of electricity. Lobby your landlord/employer/parking garage to put in, or allow you to put in, an outside plug, preferably 240V. Driving to a Supercharger to fill up not only wastes 60-90 minutes of your time, it also utilizes a shared resource that others then cannot use while you are using it.

Sorry.

I disagree. I live in a condo. I don't use my model s in the city that much. I have it mostly for road trips. I charge wherever and whenever I get the chance. Sometimes that is at the toronto supercharger because it's in the city and not far from me and sometimes on my way. Sometimes i charge at a public charger in public parking. My condo board has been dragging their feet for over a year since I asked them to get on charging. I bought the car anyway because I believe that every car out the door from Tesla helps keep the lights on until they can mass produce the Model III and that is important.

Reactions: CatB and vdiv
The 30 minute site is part of the lease between Tesla and the parking lot owner. The zoning requires the owner to have X parking spaces. If he doesn't have X + the ones Tesla wants to lease, they get around this by using the 30 minute general parking rule. It may not be the best bet, but it's what there is.

On road trips I call Tesla(while charging) to check if the next several SC are functional.

@RDS, I don't blame you for calling ahead. I used to have great confidence in the reliability of the Tesla Supercharger network and the acuracy of the status reporting on the Nav. screen. However, given recent experiences of @SabrToothSqrl and @SeanDog at Moosic along with the multi-day closures at Newark, Knoxville and Barstow last year, I'm sad to say that confidence is waning. Just today, we were driving to a remote Supercharger with the Trip Planner reporting that we'd arrive with 2% charge left. I had no "range anxiety" at all but the thought crossed my mind for the first time ever, "I hope the Supercharger station is working when we get there."

EDIT: added Knoxville.

Last edited:
On our last big super charger trip we pulled into South Hill, VA on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving at 11:00 PM with a low battery and the restaurant bumping. Every single spot was iced, all 8 of them. 150 miles to go and a low battery. It took a half an hour to find the owner and get a car moved.

@SeanDog: Thanks for this report. I've taken the liberty of posting a link to it on the South Hill thread: Supercharger - South Hill, VA

By the way, when you found all of the spots ICEd, did you tell Tesla? It could help them refine their relationship with the property owner.

Reactions: jthompson
So how many times have you been prevented from supercharging by ICE vehicles blocking you? None, right? Save your concern for when it's happening.
@SeanDog: Thanks for this report. I've taken the liberty of posting a link to it on the South Hill thread: Supercharger - South Hill, VA

By the way, when you found all of the spots ICEd, did you tell Tesla? It could help them refine their relationship with the property owner.

I called from the road, but after 20 minutes on hold I gave up. I did tweet it at Elon the next day, but never heard anything...