Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - National Harbor, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed it is unusual, but it probably won't be there last. I was at a charger in the Midwest somewhere that was in a parking garage. I think the first hour was free, but it was still a pay lot. I suspect many people have had to pay to get out of the Savannah airport lot.

As I said in my earlier post, I suspect you will be able to get away with a 20 or 30 minute charge without paying. There is no gate (currently). You pay at a kiosk and put the slip on your dash. So, by default you have to park first. How long they will give you to saunter over to the kiosk and return is anyone's guess. On top of that, it seems the Supercharger stalls do not have the same signage that says payment is required, so those inclined to challenge the system would have a wedge they could use.

We'll all get a feel for what will and won't be allowed in the coming weeks.
Savannah Airport is first 2 hours FREE. There are some others with first 90 minutes FREE. Maybe there is one where it's only 60 minutes, but if there is I don't remember it (I've been to nearly every supercharger in the US and Canada). Birmingham cost $1.50 at night. There was nothing open that I wanted to patronize so I just paid it but wasn't happy about it on principle.

There's a big difference between having to pay 6 bucks for even a short charge and getting the first 1-2 hours FREE in my opinion.

Prior to three weeks ago there was literally one supercharger in North America that charged for parking (Birmingham, Alabama of all places) and even there you could get your parking ticket validated if you were a customer at any of the local businesses. 3 weeks ago they started the urban supercharger thing in Chicago and Boston, but this NH supercharger is not designed as one of those, so paying $6 to use it is unusual.
I love it when people "disagree" with a post that is entirely factual :)

• Funny
Reactions: Max*
your post was false. Savannah isn't free. I paid my $1hour to park there. gate attendant wouldn't and couldn't waive any fee for me. and I'm not wasting my time to hike over to terminal and find some one (who?) btw their lunch and coffee breaks to validate my ticket after I prove to them I own a Tesla -- and after I answer their questions, "you bought a six digit car and you come all the way here to hunt me down I to save a $1?". that would be a bigger cost.

suck it up and pay for parking on prime real estate or charge somewhere else.

and don't be surprised when people disagree with false information.

I love it when people "disagree" with a post that is entirely factual :)

• Disagree
Reactions: PLUS EV
I'm all for the big show (it's a beautiful location), but the more practical thing to do would have been to put it off in a corner somewhere and not charged for parking. Here's the point, you go there, charge, pay for parking, then you need to move to another lot, to pay for parking??? It would steer some people away from staying and getting food or shop. I don't think there is enough time to charge and leave your car to go do something (although some people will definitely do this, I'm sure).

If anyone is going this morning, you might want to bring it up to their team. If you see the man on the right, his name is Jon Peterson, and he's one of the Principals of the developers of National Harbor. A very nice man very excited about the Superchargers.

600_464177353.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jcadman22
If anyone is going this morning, you might want to bring it up to their team. If you see the man on the right, his name is Jon Peterson, and he's one of the Principals of the developers of National Harbor. A very nice man very excited about the Superchargers.
Do you have any contact info for him? I'd love to get in contact with him and urge him to remove the fee for the charging.

I emailed the supercharger team about the ridiculousness of this, particularly the lack of alert on the nav that this is a pay for supercharger and should be avoided if at all possible.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
your post was false. Savannah isn't free. I paid my $1hour to park there. gate attendant wouldn't and couldn't waive any fee for me. and I'm not wasting my time to hike over to terminal and find some one (who?) btw their lunch and coffee breaks to validate my ticket after I prove to them I own a Tesla -- and after I answer their questions, "you bought a six digit car and you come all the way here to hunt me down I to save a $1?". that would be a bigger cost.

suck it up and pay for parking on prime real estate or charge somewhere else.

and don't be surprised when people disagree with false information.

What about my post was false again? Please quote the relevant (false) part so I can understand where you are coming from.

Great event today; I was told by organizers that Tesla owners would not have to pay; however, other folks were told that we would. FWIW, no one had to pay today during the time I was there (about 2 hours). Some of the same pics posted here from the ribbon cutting as I posted on the other thread. Nice meeting everyone.IMG_1584(1).JPG IMG_1585(1).JPG IMG_1586(1).JPG IMG_1588.JPG IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1590(2).JPG IMG_1591(1).JPG IMG_1592(1).JPG IMG_1593.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1594.JPG
    IMG_1594.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Austral and mrjwen
there were "literally" at least two that charged. Savannah was the another one.

I paid it. happily. and pleased that the airport supported EVs by using their valuable real estate to provide a service. Happy to compensate them for the service they provided.

Prior to three weeks ago there was literally one supercharger in North America that charged for parking (Birmingham, Alabama of all places) and even there you could get your parking ticket validated

• Disagree
Reactions: PLUS EV