Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - New Jersey Turnpike Rest Areas - Molly Pitcher & Joyce Kilmer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped at the NB SC this weekend.

Note to anyone going here: You need to take the "CARS ONLY" turnpike lanes to easily access these SCs. You can get to them from the "CARS/TRUCK" lanes, but it's a hassle. The "CARS ONLY" exit ramp to the rest stop puts you on the inside lane that exits to the parking lot. The "TRUCK" lane exit ramp puts you on the outside lane that takes you directly to the gas pumps. Of course, you can loop back and make a u-turn into the parking lot, but you're going against traffic exiting the parking lot.

Also, the Model S Nav is quite confused trying to get to this rest stop.

IMG_3842.JPG

Here I am on the NJTP ("truck lanes") and it wanted me to go to the next exit, turn around, go south to the next exit, turn around, and go NB again to the SC. That was about 30 miles when in reality, I was 3 miles from the SC.

Attachments

• IMG_3842.JPG
    IMG_3842.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 226
The Model S Nav is quite confused trying to get to this rest stop.

View attachment 90968

Here I am on the NJTP ("truck lanes") and it wanted me to go to the next exit, turn around, go south to the next exit, turn around, and go NB again to the SC. That was about 30 miles when in reality, I was 3 miles from the SC.

I had the same experience on 10-3-15. The Nav gave us the exact same thing and since I was low on electrons, I started to question myself, even though I live in NJ and know how the rest stops are connected. I called Tesla to make the aware of the problem. Hopefully they update the Nav.

The navigation worked fine for me today, we did a run out to JFK and stopped here to charge but we didn't see any other Teslas. At the JFK supercharger we were lonely again until a Tesla pulled up on our way out. Hamilton Township supercharger had two others charging when we arrived. Charging was fast at all three locations, the car had more than enough energy to drive before we were ready to do so.

The navigation worked fine for me today, we did a run out to JFK and stopped here to charge but we didn't see any other Teslas. At the JFK supercharger we were lonely again until a Tesla pulled up on our way out. Hamilton Township supercharger had two others charging when we arrived. Charging was fast at all three locations, the car had more than enough energy to drive before we were ready to do so.

Please confirm that you were in the truck lanes, so we know for sure that Tesla has corrected this issue. Thank you.

Please confirm that you were in the truck lanes, so we know for sure that Tesla has corrected this issue. Thank you.

Just to be fair to Tesla, I'm pretty sure the Nav says to take the "Cars Only" lane. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why, as I prefer to take the Truck lanes (better drivers, IMO)... until I got to the rest stop and got into a bind.

Just to be fair to Tesla, I'm pretty sure the Nav says to take the "Cars Only" lane. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why, as I prefer to take the Truck lanes (better drivers, IMO)... until I got to the rest stop and got into a bind.

True, Tesla does say to take the car lanes, but it is still easy enough to get to the SC without having to drive to the next exit and come back. And I agree with you, the truck lanes is my first choice and frequently the better ride. Have a great day.

I stopped at Joyce Kilmer this past Friday on my way to attend a wedding in upstate NY. As I was pulling up on the ramp, I could see all 4 supercharger bays ---- 3 were empty and the 4th was occupied by a blue sports car (ICE) of some type. As we made the sweeping right hand turn into the parking area, I then noticed a NJ State Trooper in his vehicle stopped behind and to the left of the blue sports car. He was in his vehicle but obviously speaking to the lady in the blue car. She then pulled out and drove slowly around the parking lot and parked in another spot. The trooper then departed.

Although I was not in a position to hear the conversation between the trooper and the driver in the blue car, I HOPE he was telling her she was parked in a spot for EV's and that she needed to move her car.

I charged for about 15 minutes and didn't see another Tesla while I was there.

What are all these Model Ss and Xs doing in the Truck lanes on the highway? too lazy to switch to the "car only" (express) lanes?

The Car only lanes are certainly not express lanes. If you're traveling on a weekend or holiday its quite likely that the car lanes will be more crowded than the truck lanes. Over the years I've had much better luck in the truck lanes than the car lanes, although since the extension of the truck lanes it really hasn't been an issue.

Reactions: chdavis
The Car only lanes are certainly not express lanes. If you're traveling on a weekend or holiday its quite likely that the car lanes will be more crowded than the truck lanes. Over the years I've had much better luck in the truck lanes than the car lanes, although since the extension of the truck lanes it really hasn't been an issue.

I grew up in NJ and my folks and family are still there, so I've been driving the NJTP from the GWB to Exit 4 for decades! Essentially all my life I've always taken the truck lanes, and as you say, sometimes the car lanes do backup. But the main reason I always took the truck lanes was that there were always better car drivers in the truck lanes.

I think most people who might be bad drivers (and not realize it) automatically just take the car-only lanes, along with everyone else who either doesn't think about such things, or aren't comfortable driving around big trucks all the time. So that leaves truckers and more confident "real drivers" in the truck lanes.

I also think the cops tend to watch the car lanes more than the truck lanes. The only real hazards were the occasional thrown rock or tire shred.

But now with the Tesla, I want to avoid rock chips and NB you have to be in the car lane to access the SC stalls, I do take the car lanes now if I'm driving the Tesla.

It's also been my experience that the Tesla Nav always says take the Cars Only lane, I've never seen it say take the Trucks/Busses lane.

Reactions: chdavis
Weird because I've called Tesla about the pronunciation of "buses" as "bOOOses" by the Nav. It always seems to choose cars/trucks/buses for us.

Are you stopping at the Superchargers? Maybe it only chooses the car lanes if you need to stop and charge. But I can't believe that's hard-coded in.

side note: When driving through Virginia (I think) there are highway signs for "Thru Traffic" and the nav always announces "Bear left towards 'Thru Traffic'" like it's a city name. Pretty funny.. it also sounds like it's saying "Througha-Traffic".

NB: we rarely stop at the SC, but we have. Don't have enough datapoints on NB. (We usually leave Philly full
and the Nav usually takes us up 95 through Trenton!)

We had a new one, "Towards Hartford Court" (instead of "Hartford, Connecticut" (Not sure what the city was...)
Sign said "Hartford CT"