Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Niagara Falls, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's V3 Superchargers have been notorious in facing problems in the days or weeks following a new location's opening, such as malfunctioning hardware or low efficiency, as has been reported on the Trans-Canada stretch of V3. I'm sure that the installer has nothing to do with this "malfunction"

I wouldn’t say By default that the installer likely has nothing to do with that.

But fair point. It certainly could be hardware issues.

Tesla's V3 Superchargers have been notorious in facing problems in the days or weeks following a new location's opening, such as malfunctioning hardware or low efficiency, as has been reported on the Trans-Canada stretch of V3. I'm sure that the installer has nothing to do with this "malfunction"

Cheektowaga, NY V3 charger that opened a couple of months ago has been having the same issues. Starts at above-V3 power but quickly tapers to below 100 kW at low SoC. Curiously, the other new V3 in NY, Oneonta, does not have any reports of this happening yet, although it might not have received enough traffic yet as it serves a single interstate and is otherwise in the middle of nowhere.

I would suggest (if it hasn't been done yet and you have some time) to hook up to one that 'bad', then call the 800 Tesla number and report the issue. When I had a problem here in MI last year, I got to a live person in the SuC group in less than 5 minutes. They were able to connect to the unit and confirm there was a problem with it, after they asked me to move to another one and was able to see that my car was able to charge on it (I guess they couldn't see me on the bad one but when I moved they could, thereby confirming it was not an issue with my car).

then call the 800 Tesla number and report the issue

That's not really been a thing for a while, at least not for the general support line. At first (like, summer 2019) they were polite about it and explained that they "monitor all chargers automatically" and that "there is no need to report". Now there's a pre-recorded message that just says not to call about broken SC stalls. I've attempted to report the problems at the Utica, NY supercharger a good dozen times, both on the phone and via customer support email while it was still operational. I always got the same answer: "everything is automated, no need to report, nothing we can do".

I don't know if you got lucky or you got a blue checkmark on twitter, but for the rest of us, connecting to a human about a broken charger has been impossible for a long time now.

That's not really been a thing for a while, at least not for the general support line. At first (like, summer 2019) they were polite about it and explained that they "monitor all chargers automatically" and that "there is no need to report". Now there's a pre-recorded message that just says not to call about broken SC stalls. I've attempted to report the problems at the Utica, NY supercharger a good dozen times, both on the phone and via customer support email while it was still operational. I always got the same answer: "everything is automated, no need to report, nothing we can do".

I don't know if you got lucky or you got a blue checkmark on twitter, but for the rest of us, connecting to a human about a broken charger has been impossible for a long time now.

The thing that bothers me about their attitude here is that while yes, I'm sure Supercharger chargers can automatically report their health back to the mothership, and this may help them diagnose many issues, it probably doesn't help at all with potential physical problems which may not be detectable by the charger...things like broken pins on the connector or maybe pedestals that have been partially knocked down.

And it's great that Tesla can monitor charger status remotely, but they NEED NEED NEED to communicate that back to the fleet so when we show up at a Supercharger we don't spend 10 minutes trying out different stalls to figure out which ones work, although obviously that is the subject it's own thread.

Reactions: ilyak
The thing that bothers me about their attitude here is that while yes, I'm sure Supercharger chargers can automatically report their health back to the mothership, and this may help them diagnose many issues, it probably doesn't help at all with potential physical problems which may not be detectable by the charger...things like broken pins on the connector or maybe pedestals that have been partially knocked down.

And it's great that Tesla can monitor charger status remotely, but they NEED NEED NEED to communicate that back to the fleet so when we show up at a Supercharger we don't spend 10 minutes trying out different stalls to figure out which ones work, although obviously that is the subject it's own thread.

Case in point: here's some PlugShare history for the Utica, NY supercharger. You'd think any kind of internal reporting would result in a repair team hauling ass to this location, right? Well, it's still problematic some 12 months later (PlugShare won't show check-ins past July 19, but this location started having problems in March of that year). This is a key charger for east-west travel on I-90, it is probably one of the few rural chargers in the North-East that sees lines.

Websla Jul 21, 2019
Tesla Model X
BROKEN HARDWARE Tesla“4A & 4B are down”

kevin-rf Jul 27, 2019
Tesla Model 3
BROKEN HARDWARE Tesla“Stalls 3b, 4a, 4b are broken. Everyone is on 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b.”

Elph Aug 3, 2019
Tesla Model 3
Tesla 146 Kilowatts“First four stations are not working.”

techbert Aug 10, 2019
Tesla Model 3
Tesla 150 Kilowatts“Initially plugged into 3A, but charge rate was 10kW. 2B worked great”

AwlBidnz Aug 12, 2019
Tesla Model S
BROKEN HARDWARE Tesla“All chargers dead”

jlv Aug 15, 2019
Tesla Model X
Tesla 145 Kilowatts“3a, 3b, 4a and 4b appear down. Successfully charging at 2a.”

jlv Aug 18, 2019
Tesla Model X
Tesla 143 Kilowatts“First three still offline”

Matthew Cordaro Sep 9, 2019
Tesla Model 3
Tesla 150 Kilowatts“On 1a now. Tried 3b first, It started to charge and then while ramping up charge rate, it stopped.”

Thor Sep 13, 2019
Tesla Model S
Tesla“I could not get any of these except one to work. 3A charging at 12 kW only. Called Tesla and this has been a known issue. They really need to fix this as soon as possible.”

ilya Sep 27, 2019
Tesla Model 3
Tesla“3&4 still broken. Start as usual, then drop to 0 kW after a minute. This has been happening since March. Come on, Tesla!”

ElonistheGreatest Oct 11, 2019
Tesla Model S
“1A and 1B not working 2B 120kw”

dhkaufman Oct 18, 2019
Tesla Model S
Tesla 145 Kilowatts“4A no charge, 3A cycling up and down but never as much as 30 kW, 2A charging well”

SKB Boston Nov 24, 2019
Tesla Model 3
Tesla 139 Kilowatts“3A cycling up and down, not charging past 30 kW. Changed to B for a better charge at 139 kW.”

Traveler Dec 1, 2019
Tesla Model 3
Tesla“4A and 4B not working.”

GOSOLR Dec 19, 2019
Tesla Model 3
Tesla“4A and 4B still not working and snow covered model s looked like it had been there all day and remaining three spots taken by 2 MS.”

ilya Dec 21, 2019
Tesla Model 3
Tesla“4a and 4b no power. 1b broken connector.”

DaveBurns Dec 28, 2019
Tesla Model 3
Tesla 66 Kilowatts“Connector broken on 1B.”

kirkles Jan 8, 2020
Tesla Model 3
Tesla“3B stopped my charging for no reason after about 100 miles Of recharge. I had to unplug and Replug to start again and it shutdown again after about another 150 miles. They didn’t charge me for the session though which was nice”

CRT1
Tesla Model 3 Jan 30, 2020
Tesla“Getting ~80 kW at 2b and 3b. Got ~110-140 kW at 4A yesterday but guy with a 100D was only getting 35 on 4B. All of this was with no one sharing the A/B circuits. Very odd.”

asundh Feb 19, 2020
Tesla Model 3
Tesla“Started with 4A, but found a large crack in the connector. Moved down to 3B then 3A - neither worked. Ended up at 2B, 70-80kW.”

I sent a note to supercharger@tesla last night. Gave them the overview of my experience- along with my VIN number if they wanted to take a look. Don't know if it will do anything but.....
Here's what you will hear back, if you will hear back at all:

XXXX,

Thank you for contacting Tesla. In the event of a fault, our Superchargers will automatically notify us with the necessary information to address, so no further direct reporting of issues is needed. Our Supercharging Service team works as quickly as possible to address any issues. Thank you for being a part of the Tesla community!

Best,

YYYY Y. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd., Draper, UT 84020
www.tesla.com/support

Case in point: here's some PlugShare history for the Utica, NY supercharger. You'd think any kind of internal reporting would result in a repair team hauling ass to this location, right? Well, it's still problematic some 12 months later (PlugShare won't show check-ins past July 19, but this location started having problems in March of that year). This is a key charger for east-west travel on I-90, it is probably one of the few rural chargers in the North-East that sees lines.

Electrify America is supposedly monitoring all negative PlugShare checkins at their stations EVgo does the same thing AND responds to complaints and posts status there as well (kind of an apples to oranges thing with them because there is typically only a single charging station at each EVgo site, so when it's down, it's a pretty big deal!) It is reassuring to know that complaints are being listened to and acted upon though.

This was last summer at the Bay City MI SuC. Have not found a problem with any since, so I cannot comment.

That is a shame if that is the case. The SuC network is one of Tesla's biggest pros/assets for selling their vehicles. Hopefully they will not cut corners here (by ignoring complaints/issues) - hate for them to get as bad as EA and EVgo. I read a lot about issues about the latters on the Bolt forums...

Arrived at 30% SOC...first time using V3 and highest I’ve seen on my MX. I’m at 17k km

Attachments

• 6413B416-EE14-4D3E-BD14-77EAA815BBFC.jpeg
    6413B416-EE14-4D3E-BD14-77EAA815BBFC.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 185
  • FD8C1D63-FC25-45F4-9097-DB39508FD1DC.jpeg
    FD8C1D63-FC25-45F4-9097-DB39508FD1DC.jpeg
    742.9 KB · Views: 171
Hello all,

Been a while since I posted here but will be traveling back to Michigan through Canada Sunday and was wondering how busy this SuC is in the evening - would be hitting it around 7-8PM. Is there a lot of traffic there as people head home or is pretty quiet by that time? Also wondering about Grimsby, Woodstock and London as well as we proceed westward.

Thanks for any feedback!

Frank

Hello all,

Been a while since I posted here but will be traveling back to Michigan through Canada Sunday and was wondering how busy this SuC is in the evening - would be hitting it around 7-8PM. Is there a lot of traffic there as people head home or is pretty quiet by that time? Also wondering about Grimsby, Woodstock and London as well as we proceed westward.

Thanks for any feedback!

Frank
The only supercharger you could have any significant traffic at is the Grimsby location.
I recommend using the newer v3 superchargers in Niagara and avoiding the busy V2 chargers in Grimsby.
Otherwise, the rest should be fine.

Reactions: FMinMI
The only supercharger you could have any significant traffic at is the Grimsby location.
I recommend using the newer v3 superchargers in Niagara and avoiding the busy V2 chargers in Grimsby.
Otherwise, the rest should be fine.
I agree, the most I’ve seen at Niagara is 8-10 cars, but they cleared out fast within 5 mins. Grimsby is a pain V2, and last I was there it was full, but someone was leaving as I got there.

I agree, the most I’ve seen at Niagara is 8-10 cars, but they cleared out fast within 5 mins. Grimsby is a pain V2, and last I was there it was full, but someone was leaving as I got there.
We did Woodstock both coming and returning. Not busy at all but on the return we couldn't use the bathrooms at the hotel because they were damaged by someone and closed. Had to go to Tim Hortons on the other side of the hill. We did stop at NF coming - easy on and off and plenty of open slots for charging. Not sure why NF had thumbs down on ABTP - maybe it was the bathroom in the grocery store. Stayed away from Grimbsy. Thanks for the replies.