Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went here yesterday. Drive up the 3 flights and find three model S and one X filling the 4 available spots. Great to see they are being used but bummed I was shut out. First time in my 5 weeks of owning including a California to Midwest trip.
Wow! I've been to this charger probably a dozen times, and I think I've only once ever seen a single other Tesla charging there. How long did you have to wait? Or did you utilize one of the other public chargers available in the same garage?

Went here yesterday. Drive up the 3 flights and find three model S and one X filling the 4 available spots. Great to see they are being used but bummed I was shut out. First time in my 5 weeks of owning including a California to Midwest trip.
I've been there several times and often 2 others there. Usually 1 out of state and one in-state. Not sure if locals are charging there.

Funny, I was on my way from Springfield to the Chicago area just last week and decided to skip this station. It sounds sort of awkward to find for a newcomer to the area. Had enough juice to get to Aurora in one haul anyway.

I have used the Normal supercharger many times on trips from St. Louis up to Traverse City Michigan and also trips to Chicago. The Normal parking garage also has chargers for other EV's and Normal is an interesting little college town. Most recently, I used the Normal supercharger on Sept. 20th. However, construction to the south of the Parking facility required extensive detours to gain access to the garage. As is typical, the Tesla route finders was unaware of such construction work. Once I drove across a new bridge across the Mississippi than Tesla didn't think existed, although Google maps was completely aware of it. Will the new update fix those issues? I sure hope so.

For regular users of the Normal supercharger, it would be nice to get updated information regarding the construction around the Parking garage. The garage is accessible, but suggested routes from the south will lead you to dead-ends.

I have used the Normal supercharger many times on trips from St. Louis up to Traverse City Michigan and also trips to Chicago. The Normal parking garage also has chargers for other EV's and Normal is an interesting little college town. Most recently, I used the Normal supercharger on Sept. 20th. However, construction to the south of the Parking facility required extensive detours to gain access to the garage. As is typical, the Tesla route finders was unaware of such construction work. Once I drove across a new bridge across the Mississippi than Tesla didn't think existed, although Google maps was completely aware of it. Will the new update fix those issues? I sure hope so.

For regular users of the Normal supercharger, it would be nice to get updated information regarding the construction around the Parking garage. The garage is accessible, but suggested routes from the south will lead you to dead-ends.

Chris-
Did you have to pay anything to the parking garage to access the Supercharger? Also, what's the best way to the garage as you mention extensive detours?

Thanks!

Did you have to pay anything to the parking garage to access the Supercharger?
Parking is free for the first hour Mon-Sat ($1/hr after that), or all day on Sunday. If you stay longer, you can show your fob to the attendant inside and get your parking validated.

Source: Uptown Station Parking | Normal, IL - Official Website

Also, what's the best way to the garage as you mention extensive detours?

You can view an interactive map of road closures here. Click on the individual segments to see dates.

• Informative
Reactions: rabar10
You need to get a ticket to enter. 1 hour is free so just keep your ticket for the exit. Not sure about the detours...

Parking is free for the first hour Mon-Sat ($1/hr after that), or all day on Sunday. If you stay longer, you can show your fob to the attendant inside and get your parking validated.

You can view an interactive map of road closures here. Click on the individual segments to see dates.

Thanks!

This is my review of this SpC location based on our recent trip:

Location - The SCs are located on level 3R in a parking lot of the Amtrak / transportation center. This parking lot is also about a 10-minute drive AWAY from the Interstate (I-55/74), so it's not convenient for people driving through this area and just need a quick charge. Also, even though the location shows up on the Tesla MCU, because the SCs are inside a parking structure, they are not visible from the outside, making it harder to locate. The parking lot requires you to take a ticket to enter. Even though the first hour is free, you need to pay for additional time in the parking lot, effectively reducing the charge time to less than an hour if you don't want to pay.

Charging rate - we charged at stall 2B. While the initial charge rate was above 100 kW, it quickly dropped to around 60 kW even though our batter SOC was low (<40%). From what I've read in other sources (PlugShare, TMC), all stalls at this location have reduced power.

Facilities - The bathrooms in this parking structure are very clean! The whole structure (attached to the Amtrak and local transportation center) looks new. There is a Subway in the building. There are local restaurants that are in easy walking distance.

Overall - I'm giving it 3 stars out of 5, for the inconvenient location (far off the highway, inside a paid parking lot), reduced charging rate, but excellent facilities.

• Informative
Reactions: jvonbokel
The parking lot requires you to take a ticket to enter. Even though the first hour is free, you need to pay for additional time in the parking lot, effectively reducing the charge time to less than an hour if you don't want to pay.
I've used this a few times. I generally agree with your post. Love the Indian restaurant nearby -- Anand India Restaurant  
Google 4.4 stars -- 122 E Beaufort St, Normal, IL 61761 -- (309) 888-9999

I have gone over an hour before. It cost me ONE dollar :)

Even though the first hour is free, you need to pay for additional time in the parking lot, effectively reducing the charge time to less than an hour if you don't want to pay.

I agree with the majority of your review. The location is not as convenient as most Superchargers, but the facilities are very nice, and there are several good restaurants in walking distance, which is nice.

However, as a Tesla owner, if you need to stay longer than an hour, you don't have to pay for parking.

Parking is free for the first hour Mon-Sat ($1/hr after that), and all day on Sunday. If you stay longer, you can show your fob to the attendant inside and get your parking validated.

Charging rate - we charged at stall 2B. While the initial charge rate was above 100 kW, it quickly dropped to around 60 kW even though our batter SOC was low (<40%). From what I've read in other sources (PlugShare, TMC), all stalls at this location have reduced power.

Related to your comment above. Here is my recent experience. Looks like I was going from about 8% to about 75% SOC. My 100+ kW lasted about 15 minutes it seems.

POmZpqa.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and JClu
I've seen dips in power like that a few times lately. I'm guessing that either the battery or the charger is getting overheated? I would think the sensing and cooling would be smart enough to anticipate that and have a smoother taper rather than the sudden drop followed by a short rebound.

That said, the SoC curve seems to be only minimally effected, so it's not terribly concerning.

Normal SC very difficult to navigate. When traveling (across country) you count on the next SC to get you charged and going. I am disappointed when they install SC in multi-level concrete parking garages. I tow a travel trailer & this causes numerous problems and concerns. You have to detach the trailer from the car and park it safely while you climb the parking garage for a charge. I am hoping more thought will go into future sites for Tesla SC as more of us use our cars/SUVs to travel long distance & towing trailers. We really appreciate the SC with pull-through stalls. A simple comparison to ICE cars filling with gas, they get pull through stalls. It would be nice to have at least one stall at each SC dedicated to Tesla's pulling trailers, we want to raise awareness. Thank you.

And make sure you do not mistakenly enter the Marriott Parking Structure next to it. I had the misfortune of doing so the first time I used that SC. Even though I was in there only a couple of minutes, the operator on the intercom would not let me out without paying a parking fee. It was 11 pm and I did not have the energy to reason with her, so I just paid it and went next door to the correct parking garage.

And make sure you do not mistakenly enter the Marriott Parking Structure next to it. I had the misfortune of doing so the first time I used that SC. Even though I was in there only a couple of minutes, the operator on the intercom would not let me out without paying a parking fee. It was 11 pm and I did not have the energy to reason with her, so I just paid it and went next door to the correct parking garage.
Picture to go with that comment. Red arrow.

WdlW8bk.jpg

I've used this SC several times on trips between STL and Chicago. The entry ramp, just past the ticket machine, has a very poorly placed concrete post that makes navigation tight since the MS is fairly wide. (Probably worse for the MX). The location is not convenient and adds about 20 minutes to the STL - Chicago trip. This is one of the oldest SC and I'd like to it relocated to the interstate. I55/I74 Exit 160 would be great. I hope this is on somebody's list. Aurora was recently moved from city center to the interstate.

Michael

Reactions: scottf200