Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Ovens (VIC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you'll find that until production of the 3 is up and running, all new international superchargers are on hold. The only new superchargers you will see will be in the USA, paid for by Model 3's filling up.
Gotta totally disagree on that.
If you check supercharge.info you'll see that new SCs are coming online every week all over the world, and the pace hasn't changed for a few years now. Even in the last week there's been one open in Spain, Norway, China, Netherlands and Portugal.
Aside from that, the supercharger rollout is not using the engineering resources that the Model 3 needs, it's a totally separate programme.

Anyway, back to Bright: last winter there was almost no news on Cooma until in a flurry of two weeks or so (@Chuq will know) it was suddenly online. My guess is that Bright would be a high priority as winter approaches. Watch this space!

Reactions: bradjc and Chuq
Gotta totally disagree on that.
If you check supercharge.info you'll see that new SCs are coming online every week all over the world, and the pace hasn't changed for a few years now. Even in the last week there's been one open in Spain, Norway, China, Netherlands and Portugal.
Aside from that, the supercharger rollout is not using the engineering resources that the Model 3 needs, it's a totally separate programme.

Anyway, back to Bright: last winter there was almost no news on Cooma until in a flurry of two weeks or so (@Chuq will know) it was suddenly online. My guess is that Bright would be a high priority as winter approaches. Watch this space!
It's using the money that Tesla doesn't have. Tesla is less than a year away from Bankruptcy if things keep going the way they are going now. Elon put a freeze on all expenditure last month, and this will include the supercharger roll out (but probably not in territories where the Model 3 is on sale, as they will pay for their own infrastructure). Telsa wrote an email to employee's detailing this, and making sure all expenses great than something like $10k had to be personally approved by him.

Also, as for the Bright supercharger being high priority, I doubt it. The Echuca one was only upgrade after last ski season. It will get done when it gets done.

• Disagree
Reactions: mike_j
I hope its up and running by snow season.
By the looks of it the X75D wont make it up to Falls Creek without stopping at Euroa and also Wodonga.. a bit of a detour.
In winter, it wont make it at all unless you can charge it at the top of the mountain. Parasitic loss in cold temps (and range) is bad. In summer, an S75D needs to go through Echuca both ways if going to Mt Buller (it can make it back to Melbourne on the way down, if you charge it up at the top of the mountain). I would be very hesitant to take an S75D which has significantly more range to Mt Buller in winter (which is closer and shorter than Falls). Unless you own a Buller Chalet parking spot, you also have no opportunity to charge, as you park 3/4 up the mountain in public car parks, which in a week will probably knock off 10-20km of range a night.

It's using the money that Tesla doesn't have. Tesla is less than a year away from Bankruptcy if things keep going the way they are going now. Elon put a freeze on all expenditure last month, and this will include the supercharger roll out (but probably not in territories where the Model 3 is on sale, as they will pay for their own infrastructure). Telsa wrote an email to employee's detailing this, and making sure all expenses great than something like $10k had to be personally approved by him.

Also, as for the Bright supercharger being high priority, I doubt it. The Echuca one was only upgrade after last ski season. It will get done when it gets done.
Tesla has not stopped rolling out new superchargers, and Elon hasn't put a freeze on all expenditure.
Model S and X already pay for their supercharging. It's included in the price, as a non-optional pre-payment (used to be optional).

Tesla is currently in a land-grab to be the biggest player in the future transport energy market, and they certainly aren't going to reverse a decade-long strategy by pulling back now.

Reactions: MDK
In winter, it wont make it at all unless you can charge it at the top of the mountain. Parasitic loss in cold temps (and range) is bad. In summer, an S75D needs to go through Echuca both ways if going to Mt Buller (it can make it back to Melbourne on the way down, if you charge it up at the top of the mountain). I would be very hesitant to take an S75D which has significantly more range to Mt Buller in winter (which is closer and shorter than Falls). Unless you own a Buller Chalet parking spot, you also have no opportunity to charge, as you park 3/4 up the mountain in public car parks, which in a week will probably knock off 10-20km of range a night.
We took our X100 to Buller for 5 days in September last year. Did a close to max charge at Euroa and made sure everything was shut down when we parked (there are a few settings, range mode on on the way up and drove gently, always connected off, app off, screen brightness turned down, lowered the suspension, etc, etc) and parked where there would be sun during the day (aiming for as warm as possible a battery when we started home on the last afternoon). We only lost 3-4km per day to the cold, but it was spring and we had not much snow while there and clear roads. Going up the mountain chews battery like you won't believe (3x usual rate) and coming down the batteries are cold, so it takes a while for the regen to work, so you don't get as much back as you'd expect. Doing 90kmh and very smooth driving in heavyish traffic back we got back to Melb eastern suburbs, with about 20 km to spare, but would have needed Euroa for sure in a 75. Given the extra distance and altitude to Falls, unless you can charge there, I'd be planning a night in Bright at one of the hotels with a Tesla charger on the way up as I'm not sure with only ~300km of real range you'd get from Wodonga to Falls back to Wodonga as a round trip given the climb (30km of climb is like 90km of level road) and a week in the cold.

Stop for lunch at Feathertop or Gapsted wineries and top up on their 3-ph destination chargers before heading up. Civilised and no need for Wodonga :)
You can only stop at Feathertop if you arrive there during hours.
Spoke to my electrician again today, he still hasn't heard anything about a Bright supercharger so it's unlikely to be in place in 3 weeks for the start of the ski season

• Informative
Reactions: bradjc
I haven't heard a thing and neither has my electrician. I live just outside Bright
You can only stop at Feathertop if you arrive there during hours.
Spoke to my electrician again today, he still hasn't heard anything about a Bright supercharger so it's unlikely to be in place in 3 weeks for the start of the ski season

Thanks for the update @doctorwho Seems like if they were going to do it this year they should push to get it in place for the snow season, but I guess they have their own timeline and will happen when it happens. Even a temporary sled to tide us over would make a lot of people happy. Will be disappointing to take the petrol burner again this year.

The Tesla Supercharger map today shows the Bright Supercharger as 'Target opening in 2019', they've missed the window for the current ski season so they may as well delay it until next year. Not helpful for those travelling to the snow this year though

You beat me to it. Looks like a few of the proposed locations around the place have been bumped out to next year when previously expected for 2018. :(

Find Us | Tesla

Although, looks like Bendigo and Lakes Entrance have been added to the list for Victoria for a Supercharger in 2019.

Last edited: