Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Pembina, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point is - nobody needs a supercharger nearby if they can charge at home. They are for long distance travel. Right now, for example - I can go from Winnipeg to maybe Fargo (AWD-LR) but then would have to park overnight to carry on. it's debatable whether I could make Grand Forks in winter.(228km or so - Don't want to find out the hard way). For some reason North Dakota and western Canada are devoid of superchargers.

Hi I am new to TMC. Trying to plan a trip from New York to Winnipeg in August. Are there any new Tesla SCs from Minneapolis to Winnipeg? The Tesla SC map only said "coming soon"... If there is no Tesla SCs available, any recommendation on ChadeMo charging stations along this route? Thanks for all information provided.

Hi I am new to TMC. Trying to plan a trip from New York to Winnipeg in August. Are there any new Tesla SCs from Minneapolis to Winnipeg? The Tesla SC map only said "coming soon"... If there is no Tesla SCs available, any recommendation on ChadeMo charging stations along this route? Thanks for all information provided.

Supercharge.info and Plugshare.

The best current information we have is that there are half a dozen sites in work along that path, but since no one has seen construction on them, it's unlikely they'll be open for a trip in August.

Plugshare doesn't seem to have much to offer - there apparently is a lone CHAdeMO in Fargo right now, but not much else along your route beyond Minneapolis:
Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 12.05.56 PM.png

There is a Chademo/CCS charger under the parkade deck in Polo Park shopping center, Winnipeg, but it's not cheap. Quite a few less expensive level 2 chargers.

I'm waiting for something so I can go the other way. Nearest supercharger so far is Clearwater near Minneapolis. As you see on the threads, they've flagged utilities planning for Fargo but AFAIK nobody has broken ground yet.

Supercharge.info and Plugshare.

The best current information we have is that there are half a dozen sites in work along that path, but since no one has seen construction on them, it's unlikely they'll be open for a trip in August.

Plugshare doesn't seem to have much to offer - there apparently is a lone CHAdeMO in Fargo right now, but not much else along your route beyond Minneapolis:
When Traveling in this area be sure to bring you mobile charger with bot the 120v adapter and the 14-50 adapter. Most all motels have 120v plugs and that will get you close to 100 miles added overnight.

Also turn on the 14-50 plugs in Plugshare. I found one in Grand Rapids Minnesota and one in Roseau Minnesota. The mobile adapter with 14-50 will give you a full charge overnight.

Reactions: PStewart
Plan on staying the night at the Best Western in Grand Forks. Their J1772 charger will give you a full charge by morning.

Reactions: PStewart
There is a Chademo/CCS charger under the parkade deck in Polo Park shopping center, Winnipeg, but it's not cheap. Quite a few less expensive level 2 chargers.

I'm waiting for something so I can go the other way. Nearest supercharger so far is Clearwater near Minneapolis. As you see on the threads, they've flagged utilities planning for Fargo but AFAIK nobody has broken ground yet.
The charger at Polo Park is on the Flo network. Make sure you have their card. But it is a poor choice. My suggestions:
  • Supercharger at Clearwater MN
  • HPWC at Timberlake Hotel in Staples MN
  • In Fargo/Moorhead, either the HPWC/J1772 at The Element Hotel Fargo or the Chademo in Moorhead
  • HPWC at the Best Western in Grand Forks
  • J1772 at Best Western Headingly (or Days Inn Winkler)
These are the best choices. The Inn At The Forks has an HPWC but you have to park next to the dumpsters. I wouldn't do that overnight. Make sure you have your J1772 adapter.

Why don't you go from Minneapolis, to Duluth, to Kenora, roughly. There is decent Supercharging/Chademo along that route. Just a suggestion anyway.

Edit: You could also go Minneapolis to Brainerd/Baxter Supercharger, to the Bemidji Chademo, maybe an overnight charge somewhere near Pembina/Emerson.

There are options, I always like to get off the Interstates if I have time, you see a lot more of the country that way.

Thank you all for the information and options. I just purchased a Tesla ChadeMo adapter for the trip. I prefer to stay on the Interstates to let Nav on AP to do the driving. Appreciate the hotels information. Does anyone have any knowledge in charging situation north of the border heading to Winnipeg and in Winnipeg?

I realize you said you'd prefer staying to freeways and taking a longer amount of time, but I made this trip in May, so I figured I'd chip in my experience. I chose to go to Baxter, charge until the rate was down to 7 kW, drive the speed limit to Bemidji, charge at a J1772 in town while I ate lunch, then drive the speed limit to Winnipeg. I rolled into Winnipeg around 6% SoC on my RWD long range 3. There are several hotels in Winnipeg with charging. I stayed in the Best Western Winnipeg West, since that was close to the family I was visiting. Their Sun Country charger pushed 10kW, but it was kind of finicky to get it to agree with my 3 that charging should start. Decent hotel with a nice little water park. I chose the J1772 in Bemidji partially because there was no CHAdeMO support for the 3 in May, and because the J1772 chargers are much closer to the downtown restaurants. The whole trip took about 11 hours with charging included.

Be careful to make sure you get enough range in Bemidji, though, since there's really no charging in the direct path between there and Winnipeg.

There is a SC in Cearwater MN, which is on I-94 west of the Twin Cities. Then in Moorhead there is a ChadeMo (1). Other than that it would be just slower Juicing to Winnipeg. Check out plugshares map.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke