Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Philadelphia, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where does this $2 come from? I was simply answering a question about the garage's policy, over which there has been much confusion.

My reply was not specifically about your answer but a general comment that leaving the $5 charge in place would help alleviate supercharger congestion due to locals trying to save $2 in electricity costs by going to their closest supercharger instead of charging at home.

My reply was not specifically about your answer but a general comment that leaving the $5 charge in place would help alleviate supercharger congestion due to locals trying to save $2 in electricity costs by going to their closest supercharger instead of charging at home.
FYI Center City Philly, as would be in NYC, SAN FRANCISCO, CHICAGO, BOSTON and many other places includes many apartment dwellers that don't have access to home charging. I left my Manhattan penthouse in '06 and bought a row house in Center City Philly (4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms 2000sq ft) and I have no garage or designated parking space. Your comment is totally ignorant of how millions of Americans live and it has nothing to do with income or wealth.

Reactions: Tic-tac-toe
I was told by the person in charge of the garage there is a 15 minute grace period. The first time I was there, the ticketing system required me to pay. I didn't pay attention how long I had been there so it's possible I went over 15.

The second time it was definitely under 15 minutes and the ticketing system did not require me to pay.

Neither time was there an attendant. Will forward a link to this discussion (page 5 in particular) so the garage management can see common concerns. They seem very excited and my hunch is will be accommodating as best they can afford to be.

Lots of complaints on PlugShare about the parking fees. My question to them is, where do they suggest the chargers be placed in Philly? There are no free places to park.This garage is actually reasonable in terms of cost and close to the expressway. I think Tesla did a good job on this one.

There are some places that are free to park. They could have put it at the new target in Northern Liberties which has plenty of free parking and would have worked out great for folks to be able to do some shopping while charging.

Reactions: colettimj
How does this compare to superchargers in New York
NY has some garages with superchargers that are pay for, and some urban chargers farther from manhatten that are in free lots.

However NY and Philly aren't really comprable cities. The time to travel from Manhatten to somewhere with free parking is vastly longer (and almost always invovlves bridge tolls) than to get from Center City to someplace like Northern Liberties.

That being said, I don't think this is really a bad location, $5 to charge is really not a big deal.

Reactions: gavine
A6DE09D3-7796-4381-A81C-5F425003A784.jpeg
42E04E0B-BC2B-4CFE-9974-7B17EBACEA69.jpeg
I was charging there today at one of the “Tesla only” spots.
As you can see, there is a white Honda? parked to my right.
Notice the ticket on the windshield.
I assume but don’t know for sure, that it may be for parking in a Tesla only spot.
What do you think?

I also used the ticketing system and was under 15 minutes but it charged me $5. The attendant was standing right there with me helping me use that bloody machine. I'm sure they'll get the kinks worked out.

I was mistaken. I was told yesterday it is a 5 minute grace period, not 15. The point of that is for folks that either mistakenly enter the garage or change their minds. Seems fair.

Lots of complaints on PlugShare about the parking fees. My question to them is, where do they suggest the chargers be placed in Philly? There are no free places to park.This garage is actually reasonable in terms of cost and close to the expressway. I think Tesla did a good job on this one.
This being an urban super charger, I think the location and the fee are great. It's about folks who don't have home charging to be able to charge and a good demographic is Fairmount (money but no parking.)
My issue is that Philly has no real super chargers. There's no reason whatsoever one can't be off Columbus Boulevard near Pier 73 (Walmart) or the Ikea lot. Plenty of room. Furthermore, no reason whatsoever one can't be off Aramingo/Castor in either the lot with the Home Depot/Target or the lot with the Lowes.
My favorite spot is still Bensalem, PA. Where Route 1 and 276 meet, there are many (many!) large parking lots. Wawa, Red Robin, etc. are common SC host sites.

There are some places that are free to park. They could have put it at the new target in Northern Liberties which has plenty of free parking and would have worked out great for folks to be able to do some shopping while charging.
You mean the target at "Spring Garden & 7th" (major eye roll for Target's billboard failure. We never say Street name & number... it's always number first in an intersection.)

How does this compare to superchargers in New York
Similar/same. I've been in a few pay lots there as well.

NY has some garages with superchargers that are pay for, and some urban chargers farther from manhatten that are in free lots.

However NY and Philly aren't really comprable cities. The time to travel from Manhatten to somewhere with free parking is vastly longer (and almost always invovlves bridge tolls) than to get from Center City to someplace like Northern Liberties.

That being said, I don't think this is really a bad location, $5 to charge is really not a big deal.
I'm with you. No reason Philly can't eventually have a few urban chargers right in the city center where it's more than reasonable to pay for parking, plus a few in other areas that are free. (South Philly - IKEA; Aramingo - Home Depot)

View attachment 365830 View attachment 365829 I was charging there today at one of the “Tesla only” spots.
As you can see, there is a white Honda? parked to my right.
Notice the ticket on the windshield.
I assume but don’t know for sure, that it may be for parking in a Tesla only spot.
What do you think?

I sure hope so. PPA is brutal and quick to write a ticket. I first got a license at age 21 and at the time, I lived and parked where PPA did their training exercises (Powelton Village.) Who knew you couldn't park the wrong way on a one way street? Where I grew up in North Philly it wasn't a ticketable offense.

• Funny
Reactions: madodel and gavine
Additional information:

... both entrance to the garage are now fully operational. Drivers can enter via 20th Street or through the Target parking lot. If owners exit through the Target side, they can pay with their credit card in the exit lane and avoid the Pay on Foot machine. All cash transactions still have to be completed at the Pay on Foot machine. If driver’s choose to leave by way of 20th Street, they will have to use the Pay on Foot Machine for credit card payments. We are still waiting for our new credit card readers to be installed. We have been waiting for some time which has been inconvenient.

both entrance to the garage are now fully operational. Drivers can enter via 20th Street or through the Target parking lot. If owners exit through the Target side, they can pay with their credit card in the exit lane and avoid the Pay on Foot machine. All cash transactions still have to be completed at the Pay on Foot machine. If driver’s choose to leave by way of 20th Street, they will have to use the Pay on Foot Machine for credit card payments. We are still waiting for our new credit card readers to be installed. We have been waiting for some time which has been inconvenient.

This info belongs on PlugShare. Can you add it? I didn't want to plagiarize you without consent.

Reactions: kevinf311