Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Philadelphia, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody on plug share said they were able to charge for free at 345 am overnight. Any thoughts?

Maybe the garage just changed it’s parking rules since the Supercharger opened but since it’s only been 3 days, they haven’t changed their signage?

Basically, if a Philadelphia local could drive by after 6 pm on a weekend and tell us all if the gate is open, that would be great!

Maybe the garage just changed it’s parking rules since the Supercharger opened but since it’s only been 3 days, they haven’t changed their signage?

Basically, if a Philadelphia local could drive by after 6 pm on a weekend and tell us all if the gate is open, that would be great!
I’m going to drive by tonight and check. Would be awesome if it’s actually open!

Reactions: Drlev

@Darren S managed to access it at 4:45am:

Superchargers Visited

Thanks for the tag, @JSergeant, and I think it is probably what @Drlev said and the garage just hasn't yet updated their sign.

Here are photos of the various signs. To the left of the yellow chain is a metal garage door that was closed at 4:45 am and could have been the entrance that has specific hours listed while the Ground floor might be for leaseholders and Tesla charging.

IMG_20181223_044427-783x587.jpg IMG_20181223_044839-587x783.jpg IMG_20181223_051729-587x783.jpg IMG_20181223_045818-587x783.jpg IMG_20181223_045405-783x587.jpg IMG_20181223_045459-783x587.jpg

That really looks more like someone just forgot to close up whatever door you used. Unless the garage is distinctly separated between 2 different parts and the signs only apply to the other bit? I guess that's possible, but from the signage it wouldn't be my first guess.

At the risk of sounding like I'm ungrateful for the information it would be much more helpful if people could be a bit more descriptive in their writeups. For example, is there an automatic garage door that opens? Is there no door? Was there an attendant? How and who do you pay the hourly fee to? Is it a ticket & gate system? I'm really not clear on how access to the superchargers is set up.

Reactions: madodel
At the risk of sounding like I'm ungrateful for the information it would be much more helpful if people could be a bit more descriptive in their writeups. For example, is there an automatic garage door that opens? Is there no door? Was there an attendant? How and who do you pay the hourly fee to? Is it a ticket & gate system? I'm really not clear on how access to the superchargers is set up.

Ticket and gate system. Pay at a machine when you leave. Cash only when I was there. $5 for first hour. You don’t have to shop at target to use it; there’s no validation.

I charged around 7:30pm Monday (Christmas eve). I was in-and-out in under 15 minutes hoping to be within the grace period. When I exited the attendant said there was no grace period and charged me $5. I wasn't going to argue as it was Christmas eve, but has anyone been able to confirm this policy?
I was also there on Christmas Eve. The whole scenario there is a muddled, confusing mess. It's going to be a while before we can get a truly clear picture for the hours of availability. It is actually a pretty small garage. The Tesla chargers consume a non-trivial number of the total spaces.

Upon entering, the Tesla chargers are straight ahead but you have to weave your way around to them. Drive slowly, the garage is small and with limited maneuverability.

The pay station is very poorly marked. The attendant had to help me pay.
  1. put in the ticket and leave it in while you swipe your card
  2. credit card goes in with stripe facing up and to the left. There is no visual showing how to insert your card.
  3. Once payment is accepted you can remove the ticket
I too tried to get in and out in under 15 minutes but also discovered there was no grace period, so $5 it was.