Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m surprised we haven’t seen anyone on this thread yet reconsider their model 3 purchase on account of their plan to “Supercharge only” without a place to plug in at home.

The Illinois rate going from .15 to .24 has to get many apartment-dwelling Chicagoans thinking twice about the financial hit they stand to make by going electric.

Everyone was concerned there will be a “supercharger armegeddon” once model 3’s hit the road in numbers but now it seems like destination chargers / workplace chargers may incur a greater risk of being abused as people try to find ways to beat the system with the new fees.

Charging at home and work is the right solution. But it's a chicken and egg situation right now. That will change and can change very rapidly, but EVs must hit a critical mass. We are all still very early adopters. If you don't like being an early adopter, then someone here will sell you a slightly used Prius.

Well this thread has become passionate... ;)

Electricity is relatively cheap here (between 11c (western Washington) and 3c (central Washington, aka Bitcoin miner central Wenatchee ;)), correct. Not all electricity in WA state is clean though.

This was my earlier point made even clearer. Tesla REALLY needs to learn how to communicate with their customers and understand them better. This may appear as whining to some, and I actually agree that supercharging should be net even in terms of cost/return. HOWEVER, the world is a changing. With the advent of urban chargers it is COMPLETELY EXPECTED that some owners will be dependent on urban chargers for a significant portion of time. Again, forget the long distance for a minute... 3 owners do not necessarily have the at home charging infrastructure and a lot of condos and apartments do not either. Tesla knows and expects this - this is why urban chargers exist. Ok, so now we have the situation where, empirically Tesla had changed the fuel cost (arbitrarily and without notice) by 30-120% overnight. That is NOT OK. I / we may be tolerant and expect nothing better, though Tesla have to hold themselves’ to a higher standard of communication. Enough with the amateur hour and relying on Service Centers and customer-evangelists to correct perceptions here. That’s the point: LEARN HOW TO RESPECT AND COMMUNICATE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. It costs nearly nothing and is invaluable.

See earlier point. This is not just about supercharging fir long distance travel. This is about how to communicate to a new type of user.

Okay. How expensive are other public chargers like 1772s and such? Tesla is the only company that makes these things available in this way. It’s not completely their fault that people don’t have a place to charge nightly. They are trying to help with urban SCs I guess. Darned if they do, darned if they don’t I guess?

Charging at home and work is the right solution. But it's a chicken and egg situation right now. That will change and can change very rapidly, but EVs must hit a critical mass. We are all still very early adopters. If you don't like being an early adopter, then someone here will sell you a slightly used Prius.
No doubt, it is still very early in the adoption stage. I'll happily pay .15 or .24 per kWh for my Model 3 to charge when needed (I have 6 100amp HPWC's at my home and two of my businesses combined) but I do think it would be a shame for someone who had just crunched the numbers enough to make a Model 3 with supercharging work and then they back out due to the 60% fuel rate increase we just took.

Okay. How expensive are other public chargers like 1772s and such? Tesla is the only company that makes these things available in this way. It’s not completely their fault that people don’t have a place to charge nightly. They are trying to help with urban SCs I guess. Darned if they do, darned if they don’t I guess?
You completely missed my point. Reread.

Do other car companies “communicate?” Is that what you’re getting at?
Partly. It’s that Tesla helps create mountains out of molehills due to their lack of proactive, or heck even reactive, communication. This is another case point example. It is easily defensible when explained. It won’t make everyone happy, though would be better than today.

Eg. Tesla sends heads up to current owners reinforcing why the pricing change was required (vs us all speculating and accusing and popular press picking up in owners accusing Tesla of gouging, etc.)

other car companies are irrelevant from my POV here, though you could argue that gas companies don’t notify consumers of price increases. However, it is law that gas prices are publicly displayed in order for consumers to make an informed choice. Tesla changing the fuel price by upwards of 100% with zero notification is the point. The cost is incidental.

Does anyone know how much it costs Tesla per year to operate all their Supecharger sites? At least in the US? Or at least the average energy a Supercharger stall puts out every each year? Utilization rates (hours per day) would also be interesting.

Wallgreens in the California used to have Free J1772. They are now all AFAIK now .$45 per Kwh. (Chargepoint Network)

Wallgreens in the California used to have Free J1772. They are now all AFAIK now .$45 per Kwh. (Chargepoint Network)
They can't really charge per kWh in TX, because of utility laws, but they are about $0.40/kWh here once you do the nominal 32A draw to price per 30 sec of charging. ((Well it's actually $0.80/kWh if you don't sign up for an account.)) That's the effective rate at DC Fast, as well, if you limit your charging to the fast portion of your battery. Because it is time based, the price gets a lot worse as the charging tappers toward the end.

But how many current owners does it actually impact? Is there even 10,000 of them, yet? Out of maybe 350,000 vehicles.

This isn't really about current owners, right?
We could likely even narrow this down to a few thousand... arm the owners who evangelise your product, so they can help educate.

For this example, the reaction occurring was easily avoidable and, IMO, was a mistake. The good news is, this can be learnt from.

Partly. It’s that Tesla helps create mountains out of molehills due to their lack of proactive, or heck even reactive, communication. This is another case point example. It is easily defensible when explained. It won’t make everyone happy, though would be better than today.

Eg. Tesla sends heads up to current owners reinforcing why the pricing change was required (vs us all speculating and accusing and popular press picking up in owners accusing Tesla of gouging, etc.)

other car companies are irrelevant from my POV here, though you could argue that gas companies don’t notify consumers of price increases. However, it is law that gas prices are publicly displayed in order for consumers to make an informed choice. Tesla changing the fuel price by upwards of 100% with zero notification is the point. The cost is incidental.

I suppose that’s fair. Probably would be good to post prices so people can make that choice. I still argue that it’s cheaper than almost all other charging options but don’t completely disagree with you on this.

We could likely even narrow this down to a few thousand... arm the owners who evangelise your product, so they can help educate.

For this example, the reaction occurring was easily avoidable and, IMO, was a mistake. The good news is, this can be learnt from.
Do we even know the ratio of S and X owners that actually have to pay per charge? Seems to really only affect Model 3 folks.

I don't get what the big fuss is about the rate increases. IMO it needs to be more than home charging by default. I also get that S and X get it free, or i should say the cost is built into the car price, but I also don't think owners shouldn't SC just because it's free when they can easily charge at home. This is especially the case when SCs are busy.

Even at .26 per kWh, which i think is the highest rate anywhere, you can get 50% SoC for $10. I mean come on. :) That's still like putting gas in a 40mpg car cost wise worst case scenario.

Personally I've had a 3 for 6 weeks, supercharged on the way home from dealer and haven't touched one since.

We could likely even narrow this down to a few thousand...
Plus all current Model 3 owners.

....arm the owners who evangelise your product, so they can help educate.

*looks back up the thread* Um, they aren't dummies.

Frankly whatever Tesla has to say isn't going to be taken at face value, probably at negative value, by people with pitch forks anyway. *shrug*

You have a good point in the larger sense. It's just not particularly relevant here.

Last edited: