Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is if you are ONLY using the supercharger network to charge. NO ONE should be using the network as their main charging option. If I trade in my 2013 Hyundai Elantra that I spend $55/mo on for gas, it will cost me $11 a month to charge at home for the same amount of miles in the 3. I am also going to argue that if I took a roadtrip from Seattle to Prosser and back, it would still be cheaper to drive the model 3 using the supercharger network than paying for gas in the Elantra. That one would be close though and I didn’t do the math. The trip is 382 miles round trip. My guess would be < $25 for the charging and the Elantra would take an entire tank or slightly more at $25 a tank.
Many assume that everyone has a way to charge individually. For many though supercharging is the only option. That is true for many Model S owners (who I really doubt are wasting 45 minutes at the supercharger to save $5). That is going to be a big problem with model 3.

Example of a co workers:
- hijacks a plug at his appartment complex (irvine ca) to plug in his Chevy volt. There is a state law that says that apartments have to provide a charging option so Can't be a problem right? Well everything goes fine for around a year until he receives a letter that he has to stop. Reason? Extension cord.

- moves to new appartment. That new appartment has a spot dedicated for EV charging. There should not be a problem right? Everything goes smooth until somebody starts hogging the parking spot with his Mercedes EV a few months later. Ended charging his car once a week and doing most of his miles on gas

Reactions: MikeBur
To put it in ICE terms, suppose Exxon and the other Big Boys raised their gas prices 120% overnight. Then let's suppose you didn't get to see the gas pump pricing and only found out when your next credit card statement arrived. What tune would the Tesla apologists be singing then??

And, while we're at it, how does Tesla get away with not displaying the cost of energy at the pump? I'm guessing their days are numbered now that they're charging. Why should only gas stations have to have their meters tested and inspected annually... not that I don't trust Tesla to always be honest and straight-forward. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Then let's suppose you didn't get to see the gas pump pricing and only found out when your next credit card statement arrived.

That is the only valid beef here as far as I've seen (again limited to the sub-10,000 vehicles that may show up at a SC before hearing about this, that's the people that should have gotten a heads-up email)....and it isn't limited to Tesla, either. Not knowing what an EV charger will charge you up front seems to be standard OP. :confused:

At least with Tesla I can actually check with accuracy on the Internet. Others I've dealt with is a total crapshoot on their websites.

EDIT: I expect for Tesla that comes down to a design issue that is rooted in a decade or so of "free" charging for everyone. Coupled with the relatively small $ amounts involved and price stability, there hasn't been much thought put into displaying price at the charger.

Last edited:
So does this mean all the people complaining will cancel their reservations? Just curious.
Might come as a shock, but a company can do things that disappoint me or that I am otherwise critical of without resulting in a lifelong boycott of the brand. I sometimes get the vibe around here that to do business with a company is to enter into a cult of loyalty where you can never question their business moves. Will this result in Tesla losing me as a customer? Of course not. However, if I'm talking to someone who is interested in a Tesla, and they ask me how awesome supercharging is, my enthusiasm on the subject will be quite a bit more tepid. Especially for a company that doesn't advertise, word of mouth is important.

To put it in ICE terms, suppose Exxon and the other Big Boys raised their gas prices 120% overnight. Then let's suppose you didn't get to see the gas pump pricing and only found out when your next credit card statement arrived. What tune would the Tesla apologists be singing then??

And, while we're at it, how does Tesla get away with not displaying the cost of energy at the pump? I'm guessing their days are numbered now that they're charging. Why should only gas stations have to have their meters tested and inspected annually... not that I don't trust Tesla to always be honest and straight-forward. :rolleyes:

where is this 120% coming from? You have South Carolina in your profile and the price there went up 11% from 9c/18c to 10c/20c.

Do you drive to Washington state on a regular basis? Even if you did the average of all the state rates along the path from SC to WA didn't raise the rate by that much.

where is this 120% coming from? You have South Carolina in your profile and the price there went up 11% from 9c/18c to 10c/20c.

Do you drive to Washington state on a regular basis? Even if you did the average of all the state rates along the path from SC to WA didn't raise the rate by that much.

We were discussing the huge price hike in Washington state. Personally, I'm not affected at all. My use of the superchargers is free. And, unlike Elon, I'm not planning any cross-country trips in a Tesla even at the free price point.

....However, if I'm talking to someone who is interested in a Tesla, and they ask me how awesome supercharging is, my enthusiasm on the subject will be quite a bit more tepid. Especially for a company that doesn't advertise, word of mouth is important.

Interesting to me, anyway, is that when I show off my Tesla, or talk to someone about it, the subject of supercharging never comes up. Odd. Maybe it's because that for me supercharging is not all that much of the experience. I have heard that charging at home (paying for it) is done more that 95% of the time, so the little that I might pay for supercharging is barely an issue. The biggest thing about Tesla is that it's electric, but that's about quiet power, and not so much about supercharging, but the ability to charge at home overnight so it's "full every morning".

For those who bought for the sole reason that they figured they would be able to charge for free a mile from home (I've met some of those who were adamant that it was a right) I can see they might be disappointed. But I'm not. I still advertise Tesla and give rides and show off at the drop of a hat.

Reactions: SageBrush
If Tesla had to raise the prices to keep the Supercharger network viable, now is a good time to do it. With fewer than 10,000 Model 3s in the wild — the vast majority of them with home or workplace charging, I would guess — the impact will be on future buyers, especially those without home or workplace charging or those who plan a lot of road trips. Those people now can decide whether or not the Supercharger price increase is acceptable for their intended use of the car.

With regard to the displaying of prices, I wouldn't be surprised if a future nav system update includes the price in the Supercharger window on the navigation map when you touch the icon. A past update now tells us if the station is open, the charging speed, and how many stalls are available; adding pricing information to that window seems fairly straightforward.

Interesting to me, anyway, is that when I show off my Tesla, or talk to someone about it, the subject of supercharging never comes up. Odd. Maybe it's because that for me supercharging is not all that much of the experience. I have heard that charging at home (paying for it) is done more that 95% of the time, so the little that I might pay for supercharging is barely an issue. The biggest thing about Tesla is that it's electric, but that's about quiet power, and not so much about supercharging, but the ability to charge at home overnight so it's "full every morning".

So much this. The most important thing about the Supercharger network is that it is there. Most of the time I'm charging from home but if I want to go somewhere the biggest thing is that I can get there at all. That's what I've seen come up (although not an owner) is occasionally someone will expect you can't get there from here.

Sure for Model S/X owners there's the "free" aspect that gets played up lots but this doesn't affect them...other than potentially help them with access.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave EV
With regard to the displaying of prices, I wouldn't be surprised if a future nav system update includes the price in the Supercharger window on the navigation map when you touch the icon. A past update now tells us if the station is open, the charging speed, and how many stalls are available; adding pricing information to that window seems fairly straightforward.

I expect it's well down their priority list, though. On the S & X it likely doesn't register as a priority at the moment.

For the Model 3 it's more a courtesy "maybe you'd like to know this right now". Given how stable the prices have been and how low they still are. If you were going to stop anyway it's probably because you HAVE to stop to charge. Where else are you going to go? Every other place is either free (if you can get into it) or at least double the price** of whatever Tesla was going to charge.

The vast majority of Model 3s are going to be driven such a high % of their miles from home chargers*** that this price change doesn't have that much weight.

** This might actually change in WA interior now? Are there any EV-go, Blink, etc. J1772/Chademo pay chargers there? If so what are their rates?

*** I know not everyone is going to be able to do this, but I'm unconvinced that the Model 3 is aimed at those that can't. That vehicle is still coming, and it isn't clear to me that charging infrastructure becoming common at apartments won't be where the solution primarily lies anyway.

Last edited:

The top end bursting rate capability is far far far higher at a SC than at a restaurant.

Yea, I said that in the part of my quote you cut off, here I've included it all again for you.

One of our electric bills was $9,029.41 for 113,600 kwh. $1388.12 was taxes, $7,641.29 was for energy charges, of that, the demand charge was $1671.32 which registered at 254kW. That single KW usage is what was applied to the entire bill for the location.

There are 10(5) superchargers at the local on so if all were being used that'd come out to 600KW. I'd love to see the electric bill at kettleman.

The cost of a supercharging session is displayed on car screen with other supercharging data. You don’t have to wait for your credit card statement.