Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has absolutely nothing to do with preventing long distance or local charging. Especially since this price increase / structure will only apply to Model 3 owners.

It would also apply to any Model S or Model X purchased since early 2017 and later resold since Supercharging doesn't transfer to the new owner. It would also apply to any Model S or Model X purchased without a referral code as the referral code is the only way to get free Supercharging on those cars.

Almost all of the hybrid vehicles are comparable with much better range and significantly less range anxiety, e.g. Volt, ELR and even Prius. More to come shortly.
LOL

Yeah, that list pretty much makes my case. You couldn't come up with one.

EDIT: BTW the whole point of the Supercharger network is that "range anxiety" becomes "significantly less", AKA into FUD territory. Pricing charging to make quicker expansion of that more feasible? You see how it makes sense now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Electroman
Tesla doesn't have to follow the models the utilities use. They could come up with their own peak/off-peak hours and adjust pricing accordingly. I'm sure Tesla has some data scientists on hand that could crunch the numbers and develop a TOU model that would work for most.
So you'd time needing a charge to a certain time of day? Umm. That's not really how most people are going to operate, right? Drive to somewhere in the middle of the night to charge up? To save maybe a couple of dollars? I'm not seeing how that fits with how a charging station would be used.

Perhaps what you're missing is that many folks are going to buy a $40K+ car whether it's a Tesla or not. The tipping point for some will be the operational cost after purchase. Tesla just made that calculation more difficult for many of us.

Are you suggesting that your alternative $40k car choices are less expensive to fuel compared to the new SC cost schedule and your destination charging costs ? Really ?
Moreover, the operational costs will overwhelmingly be determined by the cost of insurance, the reliability of the car, and the cost of repairs. You are choking on a gnat and ignoring the elephant.

As I said, this entire 'fest is beyond my ability to understand. That is polite talk for irrational.

---
My opinion: I think it is awesome that Tesla is not using the SC network as a profit center; I whole-heartedly understand why customers are asked to contribute to its expansion, maintenance and operating costs; and I applaud a cost structure that removes the incentive for people to use the network instead of destination chargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: nvx1977
Are you suggesting that your alternative $40k car choices are less expensive to fuel compared to the new SC cost schedule and your destination charging costs ? Really ?
Moreover, the operational costs will overwhelmingly be determined by the cost of insurance, the reliability of the car, and the cost of repairs. You are choking on a gnat and ignoring the elephant.

As I said, this entire 'fest is beyond my ability to understand. That is polite talk for irrational.

---
My opinion: I think it is awesome that Tesla is not using the SC network as a profit center; I whole-heartedly understand why customers are asked to contribute to its expansion, maintenance and operating costs; and applaud a cost structure that removes the incentive for people to use the network instead of destination chargers.
I hear the BMW i3 could be had for a song....

....and charge where at a lower price than a SC? That Model 3 can't, in the cases where you can find a freebie? At select BWM dealerships I guess??

If you can find a place away from home.

Or your post was humours and my sarcasm meter is on the fritz? :p
Mostly humor. Does BMW even offer free charging? I know Nissan had/has a deal going but can't speak to BMW.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Mostly humor. Does BMW even offer free charging? I know Nissan had/has a deal going but can't speak to BMW.
There are some w/DC Fast stations, they've been around for a few years. IIRC Crevier BMW of Santa Ana, California was the first I believe in....I want to say 2015?

EDIT: A nice perk if it's a location that fits well in your daily or weekly routine....although if you don't have something that'll fit into the time you are waiting you have to ask yourself "is my time worth this?"

There are some w/DC Fast stations, they've been around for a few years. IIRC Crevier BMW of Santa Ana, California was the first I believe in....I want to say 2015?

EDIT: A nice perk if it's a location that fits well in your daily or weekly routine....although if you don't have something that'll fit into the time you are waiting you have to ask yourself "is my time worth this?"
You are driving a BMW, of course it is worth your time..... ;)

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
But they use gasoline. I think you’re missing the point of driving an EV.

Great point of discussion... Are folks buying the M3 primarily to get away from gas, or are they more interested in a more economical fuel source first? For my purchase decision, a key factor is the operating cost, and technology ahead of "saving the planet" (EV).
Otherwise I would already have been driving a Hybrids/EV's.

Great point of discussion... Are folks buying the M3 primarily to get away from gas, or are they more interested in a more economical fuel source first? For my purchase decision, a key factor is the operating cost, and technology ahead of "saving the planet" (EV).

Buy a used honda, have $30k-$60k leftover to pay for gas. Going to be a long time before you can break even on that.

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
Otherwise I would already have been driving a Hybrids/EV's.

Buy a used honda, have $30k-$60k leftover to pay for gas. Going to be a long time before you can break even on that.
I don't know about you guys but I really hate having to stop and fill my Volt up with gas (even if it is just once a week).

It would also apply to any Model S or Model X purchased since early 2017 and later resold since Supercharging doesn't transfer to the new owner. It would also apply to any Model S or Model X purchased without a referral code as the referral code is the only way to get free Supercharging on those cars.
If you are paying for supercharging on a Model S or X...........they something is wrong. Referral codes are a dime a dozen and if you didn't use one when you purchased your Model S or X....then.......

If you are paying for supercharging on a Model S or X...........they something is wrong. Referral codes are a dime a dozen and if you didn't use one when you purchased your Model S or X....then.......
Luckily, my car is grandfathered in so when I sell it, supercharging will transfer to the new owner.

I'm sure there are lots of buyers who still buy without having a referral code. As I mentioned before, almost all 2017+ cars will not have free unlimited supercharging for the new owner when they are resold. It may take several years but eventually, owners of used S and X cars will be subject to the same Supercharger fees that all Model 3 owners pay.

I don't know about you guys but I really hate having to stop and fill my Volt up with gas (even if it is just once a week).

Once a week? Really? We bought three tanks of gas for our ELR in a year. It's was a near perfect around-town car with a fit and finish that runs circles around our top-o-the-line Model S. Cadillac just got a little too greedy on the pricing, or it would still be a contender. Road trips with gas and electric for daily commute.

Once a week? Really? We bought three tanks of gas for our ELR in a year. It's was a near perfect around-town car with a fit and finish that runs circles around our top-o-the-line Model S. Cadillac just got a little too greedy on the pricing, or it would still be a contender. Road trips with gas and electric for daily commute.
74 mile commute (better than my old 120 mile commute, lol)

Reactions: NerdUno