Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quartzsite, AZ - Main Event Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep the photos coming here on TMC if you are able. The progress of a site this size is enjoyable to visualize. In 2014 few knew what these sites were all about and reporting on their progress was more challenging. ….. for others on TMC.. here is another one of S Rain Golden-Bear’s Twitter photos.

Attachments

• IMG_4003.png
    IMG_4003.png
    983.4 KB · Views: 209
Imagine working in the desert with a bunch of black equipment. I hope they all have air conditioning.
True, true, Big E.

On the other hand, anecdotes from colleagues in Palm Springs and Phoenix say that construction work from May 1 to September 30 starts around 0500 as day breaks, and they knock off at 1330 taking just a half-hour lunch. Yeah, it gets pretty gosh darn hot by early afternoon, but is still 10 degrees cooler than around four.

And, of course, I have no knowledge of the work schedule for this crew.

True, true, Big E.

On the other hand, anecdotes from colleagues in Palm Springs and Phoenix say that construction work from May 1 to September 30 starts around 0500 as day breaks, and they knock off at 1330 taking just a half-hour lunch. Yeah, it gets pretty gosh darn hot by early afternoon, but is still 10 degrees cooler than around four.

And, of course, I have no knowledge of the work schedule for this crew.
The windows look tinted black too. I'll be passing by in late June and see if I can get a pic or two of the machines in action.

@Chuq - Thanks for clearing up, There are serval in the Target store parking lots, that’s why I misinterpreted.

I thought the thread switched over to a Chandler discussion, but just see it was a reference to the dirt comment above. All cleared up now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuq
I wonder if they are going to add solar and battery storage to this site...
Also, does anyone know if tesla leases the land on which the SCs are located, or do they buy it outright? I would think they'd have to buy it because so much hardware can't be relocated easily. But perhaps they are forced to do leases, hopefully long 30 yr term leases.

Last edited:
I do not know the answer to that question, tmoz.

Common sense from an accountant's perspective:

If a business is going to invest heavily in technical infrastructure like a Supercharger (and more than likely canopies with solar panels atop), it makes much more sense to purchase the land outright rather than enter into a long-term lease. I would think that real estate in Quartzsite, Arizona would be rather cheap, probably a lot cheaper than the total cost of construction.

If leased, the landlord can boot Tesla at the end of the lease, or worse, buy them out if that real estate unexpectedly skyrockets in value before the end of the lease.

Fee simple ownership also makes it much more attractive down the road if Tesla were to spin off its Supercharger network as a separate company. The presumed buyer(s) of this network would not have to worry about the value of the assets acquired plummeting as leases expired if renewal were unlikely.

I do not know the answer to that question, tmoz.

Common sense from an accountant's perspective:

If a business is going to invest heavily in technical infrastructure like a Supercharger (and more than likely canopies with solar panels atop), it makes much more sense to purchase the land outright rather than enter into a long-term lease. I would think that real estate in Quartzsite, Arizona would be rather cheap, probably a lot cheaper than the total cost of construction.

If leased, the landlord can boot Tesla at the end of the lease, or worse, buy them out if that real estate unexpectedly skyrockets in value before the end of the lease.

Fee simple ownership also makes it much more attractive down the road if Tesla were to spin off its Supercharger network as a separate company. The presumed buyer(s) of this network would not have to worry about the value of the assets acquired plummeting as leases expired if renewal were unlikely.
Agreed. But They have chargers in the parking lots of strip malls and very large malls, where I'm pretty sure it is impossible to buy the land. Perhaps they have some sort of perpetual lease agreement, if something like that even exists.

Completely unrelated to whatever Teslas arrangements are, but to use another charging network as an example:

When they install on someone else's land, they separate the infrastructure improvements (i.e. substation upgrades, underground cabling - things that can not physically be picked up and moved elsewhere) and the charging infrastructure (cabinets, stall hardware). They include in the contract wording to allow for this. I'm not precisely sure what that means, but it's something like: Either the site owner pays for site improvement works up-front; or if the lease is not renewed earlier than a certain length of time, they must "buy" them from the charging network operator (after depreciation, etc).

Also, the split of revenue is proportional to how much each party contributes at the start, so there is an incentive for the site owner to contribute.