Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to see Tesla work out deals with major cities to offer curb-side super chargers. The City can make these charging-only spots free, and it works towards most cities’ green initiatives.

Example of a L3 setup in Seattle:
Google Maps

There are curbside FLO stations in Kitsilano.
Always interesting when someone has to park the opposite way to charge their car...
Google Maps

I’d like to see Tesla work out deals with major cities to offer curb-side super chargers. The City can make these charging-only spots free, and it works towards most cities’ green initiatives.
Not bad an idea, except that we would need to have them on one-way streets due to the short Tesla cables (diagonal parking almost non-existent in Montreal). Also, I completely disagree with the idea of having them on a quiet street, if that happens. In terms of a Supercharger location, in my opinion, the Superchargers for me would absolutely need to be on a major street or on a commercial street. Knowing Tesla is always aiming for high visibility, going up to refusing locations with low visibility, a residential street would be flatly refused.

In Montreal, I’d poll for locations like De Maisonneuve, Sainte-Catherine, and most of all, Saint-Antoine, which already has 16 chargers on one side of the street. The other thing is, the spots for Teslas would have to be very clearly marked so that the car would be able to plug in at the right spot.

Here is just a comparison between chargers on one way and two-way streets. Photo 1 is on St-Antoine and Photo 2 on a two-way street
FC43DC2E-78E2-4E57-9FD4-060C6B2908EF.jpeg
32141376-5384-4426-9321-1B8A6220F729.jpeg

Why not? The reason for the ticket is it's not safe to get in/out of the spot parked backwards, so charging or not and port location are irrelevant.

I haven't myself. In most cases I leave home topped up every day 90% SoC with LR battery.
That being said, technically to park the wrong way... you'd have to drive facing the wrong way on the wrong side of the road anyways.

I haven't myself. In most cases I leave home topped up every day 90% SoC with LR battery.
That being said, technically to park the wrong way... you'd have to drive facing the wrong way on the wrong side of the road anyways.
I know someone that got a ticket perhaps a couple decades ago, and that was precisely the argument from the officer writing it. It's not that you're parked the wrong way, it's that you had to drive on the wrong side of the street to park there.

If you can't plug in facing the right way, you'll have to find another charger. I assume if Tesla ever provided curbside supercharging, they'd have different pedestals with longer (overhead?) cables, or perhaps on one way streets as suggested.

I'm not sure curbside is the best option though. The other option is charge outside of the downtown core. Tesla should build superchargers somewhere that parking is still free, e.g. Oakridge Mall, Park Royal and Brentwood Mall could be a good fit. Chances are if someone has an electric car (but no home charging) they are driving to outside of downtown, and likewise, visitors would be coming from outside of the core even if they were staying there.

FYI, there only seems to be one gas station left in the downtown core while there are 2 Superchargers and one BC Hydro DCFC not to mention dozens of L2 chargers. I agree it sucks to pay for parking to "fuel up" but at least there are options.

the "free" part not likely to happen, in Vancouver at least. The City of Vancouver already has green/EV initiatives and has lots of public L2 (and a few DCFC) stations, but 2 years ago they changed the city owned or operated ones from free parking & free charging to pay, primarily to encourage turnover of the spots. Some of those free charging spots were always full - there are a lot of EVs here in the Lower Mainland, and now even worse with so many Model 3s. Meanwhile you see lots of people complaining in various downtown Supercharger threads (not just Vancouver) about having to pay for parking while charging.

The city even had a curbside EV charging pilot program, although that's ended and I didn't hear the result of the pilot.

There are curbside FLO stations in Kitsilano.
yes, for example, those curbside L2 stations used to be free parking/free charging but since 2 years ago they added a nominal charging fee, IIRC $1/hr, with parking itself there free. The other local curbside example is the 2 spaces on Mainland St downtown - that one also used to be free parking/free charging, in an otherwise metered parking area. I think some people were using that as their secret free downtown parking spot even if not charging. But they now charge the regular meter rate $4/hr parking there (though I think charging itself is still free). At least the DCFC stations downtown on Hornby St are on the left side of a one-way street, though useless for a Tesla owner without a CHAdeMO adapter.

to bring this back to semi-OT, did anybody see that TV news item the other day about some Model 3 driver using Smart Summon at Richmond Centre ? Yes that's near a busy entrance to the same shopping mall as we're talking about in this thread...

edit:
nothing really new here other than some survey statistics, but I just noticed this article saying B.C. Hydro is concerned about the number of car-fuffles breaking out at electric vehicle charging stations, blaming lack of awareness of proper EV charging etiquette.

Last edited:
The Surrey site needs to start limiting to 80 or 90% charge if they aren't doing that already. ..

The Levis (Quebec City area) 10-stall site is one of those which will automatically set the limit down to 80% with the mention "high usage site" (paraphrasing). If desired, the driver can then manually reset to a higher level, though.

The congestion at these sites was entirely predictable and the result of Tesla sacrificing 2019 Supercharger development in BC and QC.

I know someone that got a ticket perhaps a couple decades ago, and that was precisely the argument from the officer writing it. It's not that you're parked the wrong way, it's that you had to drive on the wrong side of the street to park there.

Here there are actually laws about parking and you get a ticket for improper parking just like if you park on the sidewalk or too far out into the street.

Drove through the parking lot this past weekend, site still fenced off with opaque fencing. Was planning to get a picture update but the parking lot was 100% full with many persons circling around waiting for spots.

When this charger location opens I fear having ICE cars parked in the Supercharger spots is going to be a big problem. You're pretty much going to need an attendant full time there on weekends telling people not to park in the spots?

It's a central and convenient location, but it isn't a mildly used mall or a mall with an excess of parking and may have not been the best location choice... we'll see.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
Drove through the parking lot this past weekend, site still fenced off with opaque fencing. Was planning to get a picture update but the parking lot was 100% full with many persons circling around waiting for spots.

When this charger location opens I fear having ICE cars parked in the Supercharger spots is going to be a big problem. You're pretty much going to need an attendant full time there on weekends telling people not to park in the spots?

It's a central and convenient location, but it isn't a mildly used mall or a mall with an excess of parking and may have not been the best location choice... we'll see.
Yeah the charger will be open in around 2 weeks time and let’s hope that people will respect the Tesla charging spots.

Reactions: Not_batman