Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's unlikely, given that this is precisely the use case urban superchargers were developed for.
But these ones in Richmond aren't really on a major highway or thoroughfare - for all intents and purposes, they're "urban" supercharger yet they're at the 150 kW level. So wouldn't it make sense that going forward more will be of this variety assuming the local connections can tolerate the power throughput? But I'm a newbie to this EV world, so maybe I'm wrong.

But these ones in Richmond aren't really on a major highway or thoroughfare - for all intents and purposes, they're "urban" supercharger yet they're at the 150 kW level. So wouldn't it make sense that going forward more will be of this variety assuming the local connections can tolerate the power throughput? But I'm a newbie to this EV world, so maybe I'm wrong.
I agree that Richmond not being the urban style supercharger is unusual. I just wouldn't expect others in the Lower Mainland to be the same. I mean everyone who doesn't have adequate home charging selfishly wants the fastest charging possible near where they live, but Tesla can't be expected to solve home charging problem on their own, especially to the extent where it makes little sense for the host business (i.e. charging is so fast that local users don't even leave their car to patronize area businesses).

Tesla should work out deals with businesses, condo parkades and townhouse complexes to provide a few spots for superchargers and equipment.
Tesla provides the equipment.
Spot owners recoup the cost of the electricity.
Tesla get the markup over the cost of electricity.
Spot owner and Tesla split the idle fees.
So that people can charge then move their car.

FYI, yes Tesla also had J1772 plugs for some chargers.

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
Tesla should work out deals with businesses, condo parkades and townhouse complexes to provide a few spots for superchargers and equipment.

I wonder if its possible to set up a special spot on some of the newer BC Ferries; to rig up a conventional or Tesla based charger during the sailing? Somebody should look into that...
MV_Coastal_Celebration.jpg

They already do that, but mostly/only with Destination Chargers I think, and the property owners need to approach Tesla.
Charging Partners | Tesla

It's a shame that the downtown locations, specifically Pacific Centre, are such expensive parking lots. Surely they could have worked out a better deal with a city-owned lot for free parking for 45 mins or something similar. Those 22 stations are almost never more than half full, for good reason.

The Surrey site needs to start limiting to 80 or 90% charge if they aren't doing that already. Or adding more stalls, looks like there's plenty of space, and I'm sure BC Hydro could accommodate the load in that area.

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
It's a shame that the downtown locations, specifically Pacific Centre, are such expensive parking lots. Surely they could have worked out a better deal with a city-owned lot for free parking for 45 mins or something similar. Those 22 stations are almost never more than half full, for good reason.

The Surrey site needs to start limiting to 80 or 90% charge if they aren't doing that already. Or adding more stalls, looks like there's plenty of space, and I'm sure BC Hydro could accommodate the load in that area.
Wayyy in the future, but it's almost a guarantee that the new Oakridge development will have Superchargers at some point.

Looks like they're already working on adding more stalls in Surrey:
Supercharger - Surrey, BC

And my car keeps wanting to run into those blue fences on Smart Summon... o_O

If the downtown locations were FREE, they'd be full all the time with lines and then you'd be complaining about that. :D

The convenience of what? I'm parking there to charge, not visit the local amenities.

Look, I know it is what it is, but the usage of that station speaks for itself.
I agree that whatever the cost of parking is, it does to a large extent defeat the purpose of supercharging (which is not parking but rather charging - the parking requirement is an unfortunate consequence).