Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a very helpful tutorial!

And to answer my own question, it appears the machine does take cash (wouldn't know for sure since I supercharged for FREE using the above instructions), so for those of you wishing to avoid any credit card issues, you can just pop in a $5 bill.

Does the cash machine accept Venezuelan Sovreign Bolivars?

RT

When pulling into garage:
1. Open stopwatch app on your phone
2. Press "start" and ticket button at the same time.
3. Plug in
4. At ~12 min, go up the elevator to the second floor
5. At ~14 min, insert ticket into machine and press "lap" button of stopwatch app at the same time. Take new ticket and head back to car.
6. At ~13 min on new ticket, unplug and head out (in case a car in front of you takes a minute to pay or shuffle out of their own spot.

Congratulations, now you've charged for ~26 minutes for FREE and only had to park once. Just the way God intended. Who needs Mira Mesa if you live south of the 8? (rhetorical question; I care not for your unique situation)

I haven’t been there yet so stupid question on step 5 above - how do I get the second ticket for 15 mins after I’ve returned the first one? Does the machine on the second floor dispense tickets as well or is there another sub step here?

Thanks, entertaining :)

When pulling into garage:
1. Open stopwatch app on your phone
2. Press "start" and ticket button at the same time.
3. Plug in
4. At ~12 min, go up the elevator to the second floor
5. At ~14 min, insert ticket into machine and press "lap" button of stopwatch app at the same time. Take new ticket and head back to car.
6. At ~13 min on new ticket, unplug and head out (in case a car in front of you takes a minute to pay or shuffle out of their own spot.

Congratulations, now you've charged for ~26 minutes for FREE and only had to park once. Just the way God intended. Who needs Mira Mesa if you live south of the 8? (rhetorical question; I care not for your unique situation)
If we’re scamming the garage, wouldn’t it be easier to just get a new ticket right before you leave and exit with that one?
Park there all day, get a new ticket before leaving and exit with that one

I haven’t been there yet so stupid question on step 5 above - how do I get the second ticket for 15 mins after I’ve returned the first one? Does the machine on the second floor dispense tickets as well or is there another sub step here?

Thanks, entertaining :)
It validates your ticket and spits it back out. Then you use it to exit the garage (the machine at the exit keeps your ticket). It gives you a 15 minute grace period to make your way to the exit. That's what he was talking about.

What is wrong with you folks? Do you guys shoplift too? Steal unattended things from people's cars?

Why are we talking about scamming a business?
Well they purposefully allow FREE parking for 15 minutes, so I wouldn't exactly call what he is describing as "scamming" the garage. I know because I've seen the same system (same machines set up by same company) where no amount of time was FREE. I believe it was in Yonkers, NY. I plugged in for 5 minutes, went to validate the ticket and I still had to pay $3.

I admit that driving around the block and repeating the process is pushing the envelope :)

Also if you did what the poster above is describing and just used a second ticket, I wouldn't be surprised if they would try to mail you a ticket. I'm sure they have cameras somewhere that catch your plate. Also, I'm not sure if you can just stand there and push the button to get a ticket. It might need to sense a car in order to issue a ticket and open the gate.

It validates your ticket and spits it back out. Then you use it to exit the garage (the machine at the exit keeps your ticket). It gives you a 15 minute grace period to make your way to the exit. That's what he was talking about.

I get all that, my point was do you have to leave the garage with your vehicle and re-enter to get the second ticket? I'm not sure how one would obtain a second ticket while on foot, sans car, due to weight sensors.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
If we’re scamming the garage, wouldn’t it be easier to just get a new ticket right before you leave and exit with that one?
Park there all day, get a new ticket before leaving and exit with that one

Seems like basic pay-garage functionality to only allow new tickets to be dispensed while a vehicle-appropriate sensor of some kind is tripped. Plus of course the whole surveillance apparatus they have set up.

Anyway, there are very simple corrections the garage could make if they didn’t want 26 minute free charges to happen, such as reducing timer to 10 mins and/or not dispensing free validations upstairs (sort of obvious, clearly you’ve already parked)