Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was here yesterday around 5pm and this guy parked like this :|

Attachments

• 7B61D746-BDDC-4170-A8D2-03D614AD0FCE.jpeg
    7B61D746-BDDC-4170-A8D2-03D614AD0FCE.jpeg
    363.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Funny
Reactions: jowaldo and P85_DA
I was there and saw that X...what you can't see in the pic is that he had a tow-hitch cargo carrier. He could not have backed into a spot.

There were many open stalls from 5-6pm. I agree it was poor form; what he should have done is parked on the the other side of the foundation columns (flipped around for his charge port). That way he wouldn't have blocked 3 spots.

Reactions: billy/ and P85_DA
I was parked in the garage for about 5 hours. First 30 minutes on a charger then moved to a non-charger spot. I was the only car of any kind exiting at 10:30pm and maybe it was just serendipity that the exit gate was open and guard just didn't GAF at that instant.

Related to that and the parallel discussion in the Sorrento Valley thread...I've been to this A-street supercharger 3-4 times now about 5pm on a weeknight, and again as I walk back to my car at 10-11 pm, and it is never crowded. Between 2 to 4 Tesla's out of 16 available stalls is typical. All those observations during the $5 flat-fee times.

Nate Anderson, Tesla’s regional manager for charging infrastructure in California and Hawaii, said the company will open 10 more stations with about 150 stalls in the greater San Diego area in the next year.

“So you’ll see us in Carlsbad, Del Mar, Escondido, Vista and many, many (other places) in and around San Diego,” Anderson said. “San Diego is actually our fifth-highest concentration of Model 3 reservations in the entire country. So we are stepping up, really investing in the area.”

Electric vehicle charging stations try to gain a foothold in urban areas

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf
Nate Anderson, Tesla’s regional manager for charging infrastructure in California and Hawaii, said the company will open 10 more stations with about 150 stalls in the greater San Diego area in the next year.

“So you’ll see us in Carlsbad, Del Mar, Escondido, Vista and many, many (other places) in and around San Diego,” Anderson said. “San Diego is actually our fifth-highest concentration of Model 3 reservations in the entire country. So we are stepping up, really investing in the area.”

Electric vehicle charging stations try to gain a foothold in urban areas
This has been noted, and with a huge grain of salt.

I was parked in the garage for about 5 hours. First 30 minutes on a charger then moved to a non-charger spot. I was the only car of any kind exiting at 10:30pm and maybe it was just serendipity that the exit gate was open and guard just didn't GAF at that instant.

Related to that and the parallel discussion in the Sorrento Valley thread...I've been to this A-street supercharger 3-4 times now about 5pm on a weeknight, and again as I walk back to my car at 10-11 pm, and it is never crowded. Between 2 to 4 Tesla's out of 16 available stalls is typical. All those observations during the $5 flat-fee times.

Seems like it is a hit or miss situation about getting out without the $5 fee. I'm from out of town and was in the San Diego area for 5 days and didn't know that the first 15 minutes were free. However, I'm paranoid about driving downtown (because of the traffic and congestion) in just about any big city, so I avoided this downtown SC during my visit even though it was sometimes closer to it than I was to the SC's (12 of them) in the Qualcomm parking lot, which is about 15 miles away. I was generally wanting to charge up between 4:30-5:00pm and didn't realize the number of Teslas that would be at the Qualcomm SC at those times. First time, was in line for about 15 minutes, second time about 5 minutes, and third time about 10 minutes before I could start charging. Charging is relatively slow------took about an hour to add about 125 miles. Also, there are no facilities available to use. When waiting in line, one can only easily see the (non)availability for charging in 6 of the slots, but difficult to see whether cars are in the other 6 slots while seated in the car. An attendant, paid for by Tesla I'm told, is supposed to be in the lot directing traffic at the busiest times, but I only saw one there once. San Diego is a great area to visit, but supercharging is a hassle for out of towners. I'm sure it will be a lot easier once those other planned SC's in the area are completed and up and running.

Visited this Supercharger for the first time today. In short, I thought it was fantastic. The reverse angled spaces were brilliant. The convenience was terrific. And finding the entry-door to the garage and the charger itself was idiot-proof.

Problem: 3 of the 7 cars there were parked like COMPLETE jackasses. One dude, I swear, parked so badly it must have been on purpose. I mean - their noses were stuck so far out into the single lane of traffic that the charging cable could barely reach the receptacle at the rear of the cars. I expected so much more from Tesla owners. What the heck is wrong with these people?

Me? I was able to spot my vacant charger of choice, pull in, scoot back until my rear camera gave me the "very last second warning" and then I parked the car and plugged right in. I also left in exactly 14 mins 30 seconds. This was at 2PM in the afternoon and I didn't have to pay anything for the charge.

If your blowing through San Diego on your way to the Border and want to fill up and guarantee getting a charger while having a great spot to park close to a handful of great lunch options, this is wonderful. Obviously, you'll have to pay a little for the parking which is the only downside. But it's the only way to keep the locals away.

Problem: 3 of the 7 cars there were parked like COMPLETE jackasses. One dude, I swear, parked so badly it must have been on purpose. I mean - their noses were stuck so far out into the single lane of traffic that the charging cable could barely reach the receptacle at the rear of the cars.
i do not understand why people do not trust their parking sensors. This location clearly requires cars to be fully backed in. Which is easy to do with the parking sensors and rear view camera.

i do not understand why people do not trust their parking sensors. This location clearly requires cars to be fully backed in. Which is easy to do with the parking sensors and rear view camera.
Seriously. Actually, at the new St. George supercharger, the pedestals are between the stalls, not behind. I backed in as far as I could because there’s only one lane through I’m front of the chargers before it’s a drive thru for a Starbucks. Whoops! Too far! My falcon wing door caught the edge of the supercharger pedestal when it opened. I was careful to not back in quite that far on the return trip!

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Well now we know why! It's not as if the sensors are idiot proof. I was just reading a thread where the OP was getting chastised for trusting his sensors and scraping his bumper on a pole. You can't have it both ways.

Reactions: P85_DA and David99
The parking spots are super tight and with cars parked on both side it is very difficult to get in and out. I charged there a few times recently and I'm very confident and swift backing into tight spots and know the dimensions of my car really well even without parking sensors, but man this one is a PITA. When full, it is really a challenge and requires many back and forths. So when people park like idiots, I don't approve, but I understand why.

Reactions: RBowen and jowaldo
For those of you using this location on a regular basis please keep us updated on how full it is getting at the times you are there. Will be interesting how long it takes for there to be a waiting line at this Supercharger.

Last edited:
The poor design of this supercharger location was noted in this thread many pages ago. And now we are seeing the fruits of that design. Sure the owners may be partially at fault, but when you have a poor design, this is what happens. Not everyone is going to be an expert at back in angle parking. When there is no margin for error, you will have problems. Keep in mind some Tesla owners are a) elderly, b) new owners c) not good drivers, etc.

Reactions: RBowen and David99
Well now we know why! It's not as if the sensors are idiot proof. I was just reading a thread where the OP was getting chastised for trusting his sensors and scraping his bumper on a pole. You can't have it both ways.
Based on the photos I’ve seen posted in this thread, this Supercharger site has no “poles” you have to avoid, just Supercharger pedestals, walls, and large square pillars, all of which are very accurately detected by the parking sensors. In my experience, the parking sensors may miss very narrow objects of an inch or two in width. That doesn’t appear to be an issue at this Supercharger location.

Based on the photos I’ve seen posted in this thread, this Supercharger site has no “poles” you have to avoid, just Supercharger pedestals, walls, and large square pillars, all of which are very accurately detected by the parking sensors. In my experience, the parking sensors may miss very narrow objects of an inch or two in width. That doesn’t appear to be an issue at this Supercharger location.
I think you missed my point!