Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kinda funny, went to gmaps to look at the area on satellite, and the whole Target lot is back to flattened dirt! The colors look a little more rich, but it's strange that they went so far backwards in this latest "update"?

My Google Maps tip of the day: The 3D views are usually way out of date. Go to the burger menu, select "Globe", and you'll get true 2D satellite views, which are generally much more current. (These images looks a lot nicer, too, IMO.)

Annoyingly, in Google Maps for iOS, there's doesn't seem to be a way to get the up-to-date images.

Based on my drive by today, I think next to the cabinets will be 7 or 8 urban pedestals (I couldn’t get a great photo of all), around the corner I only saw 1 framed up, with room for several more spots, and across to the north I saw what looked like 5 spots, or maybe 4 with 2 being wider for accessibility.

Attachments

• AE6EA316-13BA-4A03-92F0-D6E1DCF78B5B.jpeg
    AE6EA316-13BA-4A03-92F0-D6E1DCF78B5B.jpeg
    728.4 KB · Views: 241
  • F3EE425E-2C9E-41D3-89C7-21994C304324.jpeg
    F3EE425E-2C9E-41D3-89C7-21994C304324.jpeg
    696.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 3B69FFB3-9B3B-4319-ABB5-93291C484776.jpeg
    3B69FFB3-9B3B-4319-ABB5-93291C484776.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 162
  • 2053159B-204D-4B80-B009-71740871E83E.jpeg
    2053159B-204D-4B80-B009-71740871E83E.jpeg
    748.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 6CEF1711-0546-43C9-B5A2-661BE829530C.jpeg
    6CEF1711-0546-43C9-B5A2-661BE829530C.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 172
More photos for you all. The concrete looks like it's all set, and the pedestals with conduit are all there. Using Edlin303's aerial (where did you pull it from? Google Maps just shows dirt!), I counted pedestals for 4 back-in SC in Section A, 2 back-in SC in Section B, and 9 back-in SC in Section C (15 total).

In Pictures 1 and 6, you can zoom in and see the new curb for Section A. They pushed back the curb about 2 feet and raised it a bit. You can make out the grey conduit with red tape at the top sticking out of the new pedestals.

Picture 2 shows where they removed a bunch of parking spaces to make room for the transformers. There was a question a bit ago about why they didn't chop down the trees and just put them in the island. If it's similar to another jurisdiction I've done work in, it's because the landscaping is a requirement from the city, and changing it would give them another opportunity for them to extort you. Parking, on the other hard, just has to meet the minimum numbers. You can also see the two pedastals for Section B.

Picture 3 shows the pedestals for Section C. Nine in a row, looks like they are keeping the original spacing for these. For Section A, they went from 5 spaces to 4 SC for some reason.

Picture 4 gives a wider shot of the area. This parking area is off to the side of Target towards their loading dock. You can see eight 40 foot containers in this shot, and one 20 foot container.

Picture 5 shows the loading dock with 3 additional 40 foot containers. I assume they are also Tesla's since they're identical to the rest.

So question for you folks. There is easily enough parking slots for more super chargers in the future, especially a couple slots adjacent to Section B, but does that look like there is room for the transformers? I would have assumed it would only be incrementally more expensive to lay extra conduit before pouring the concrete.

Attachments

• aerial.png
    aerial.png
    719 KB · Views: 138
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    757.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 140
My hunch on going 5->4 is to make them accessible. I assume Tesla requires some number of accessible slots. That also explains why they trenched across to a, to be as close to the store as is feasible for the accessible spots. If not for that I’d think they would have just had two rows, in b and c.

I think the photo was from Apple maps. I had to try multiple places to find more than dirt.

More photos for you all. The concrete looks like it's all set, and the pedestals with conduit are all there. Using Edlin303's aerial (where did you pull it from? Google Maps just shows dirt!), I counted pedestals for 4 back-in SC in Section A, 2 back-in SC in Section B, and 9 back-in SC in Section C (15 total).

I think the photo was from Apple maps. I had to try multiple places to find more than dirt.

If you turn off the "globe" option in Google Maps (web version), it looks like this:
upload_2018-10-28_23-57-19.png

upload_2018-10-28_23-59-0.png

In Pictures 1 and 6, you can zoom in and see the new curb for Section A. They pushed back the curb about 2 feet and raised it a bit. You can make out the grey conduit with red tape at the top sticking out of the new pedestals.

Picture 2 shows where they removed a bunch of parking spaces to make room for the transformers. There was a question a bit ago about why they didn't chop down the trees and just put them in the island. If it's similar to another jurisdiction I've done work in, it's because the landscaping is a requirement from the city, and changing it would give them another opportunity for them to extort you. Parking, on the other hard, just has to meet the minimum numbers. You can also see the two pedastals for Section B.

Picture 3 shows the pedestals for Section C. Nine in a row, looks like they are keeping the original spacing for these. For Section A, they went from 5 spaces to 4 SC for some reason.

Picture 4 gives a wider shot of the area. This parking area is off to the side of Target towards their loading dock. You can see eight 40 foot containers in this shot, and one 20 foot container.

Picture 5 shows the loading dock with 3 additional 40 foot containers. I assume they are also Tesla's since they're identical to the rest.

So question for you folks. There is easily enough parking slots for more super chargers in the future, especially a couple slots adjacent to Section B, but does that look like there is room for the transformers? I would have assumed it would only be incrementally more expensive to lay extra conduit before pouring the concrete.

@BlueShift The location of this site in supercharge.info is a bit off, and so is the number of pedestals.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chuq
Are those battery cabinets to the left (north) of the supercharger cabinets?

I’m no expert, but I don’t think so. The one that is open doesn’t look like batteries, and this page shows a diagram which makes it look like it’s a normal part of the gear needed. How to Build a Tesla Supercharger Station But, I’ve never paid attention to the gear at other sites so maybe someone else can comment too.

I don't think we knew until now that they would be Urban 72kW? Although I guess the fact that there are an odd number in the permit (15) would be one clue.

Will this new location have an impact on the unrelenting pressure on Qualcomm?
If past is prologue, then no. Much of the traffic is due to QC employees, ignorance of the benefits of the 72 kW Urban chargers at the other SD locations, lack of idle fees, and excellent geographical location (at least wrt maximizing demand). The addition of this new location does nothing to affect any of these factors.

Reactions: jowaldo
I don't think we knew until now that they would be Urban 72kW? Although I guess the fact that there are an odd number in the permit (15) would be one clue.

Since urban superchargers are still paired (but 50/50 instead of a dynamic ratio), I'm not sure that an odd number would really be a clue. But maybe Tesla has some sort of half-supercharger they can deploy for these situations?

Hmm.. going by Google Maps, this supercharger is in the city limits, but I'm not sure how definitive that it. It is very close to the city limits.

Edit to add: SanGIS agrees that it's within the city limits. The line follows Lone Quail Rd and cuts through Del Norte High School. Parcel Lookup Tool

I've lived in the 4S Ranch area for years and had no idea that all the newer construction in Del Sur (which is the most accurate name for the neighborhood where this Target is located) was a part of City of San Diego. I just assumed it was unincorporated San Diego County like us. It's much more obvious where the boundaries are if you enable the jurisdiction overlay on the SanGIS Parcel Map.

I haven't been by in a few weeks to see for myself so it's nice to see these photos. I'm sure there were technical reasons for it, but I think it was a bad decision to put SCs in the areas you labeled Sections A and B. Those are some of the closest spaces to the Target entrance and people were parked there all the time. The likelihood of these spaces getting constantly ICE'd is very, very high. It's frustrating because Section C and the spaces opposite it were almost never occupied and would have made much more sense. Looks like this will be open before we know it and we'll see how it all works out.

I've lived in the 4S Ranch area for years and had no idea that all the newer construction in Del Sur (which is the most accurate name for the neighborhood where this Target is located) was a part of City of San Diego. I just assumed it was unincorporated San Diego County like us. It's much more obvious where the boundaries are if you enable the jurisdiction overlay on the SanGIS Parcel Map.

To further add to the confusion, the Del Sur neighborhood seems to have it's own style of street sign (brown with white text and some sort of crosshair-like emblem), not the blue street signs with the city seal seen elsewhere.