Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is good news. I also notice idle fees which indicates charging cost. If anything it will prevent those pesky Qualcomm employees from charging there, though I have a feeling Qualcomm is giving out free electric charging cards to its employee who ask for it. Or maybe Qualcomm will reimburses the cost somehow so in the end it might not help anything. Still pack as of late.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
This is good news. I also notice idle fees which indicates charging cost. If anything it will prevent those pesky Qualcomm employees from charging there, though I have a feeling Qualcomm is giving out free electric charging cards to its employee who ask for it. Or maybe Qualcomm will reimburses the cost somehow so in the end it might not help anything. Still pack as of late.

No, none of that is true re: QCOM.

F8E276C1-21C3-4B1A-A9F8-4CC7BFC49AEB.png

Its midday and there is a good distribution among the various local San Diego Supercharger stations. Normally Qualcomm is overloaded at this time.

It’s interesting that Tesla has different costs for each of the San Diego Superchargers.
$0.36 Qualcomm
$0.34 Del Sur
$0.31 Carlsbad
I wonder if Tesla owner behavior will mirror ICE behavior with people driving the extra miles to save pennies at the pump for gas. If they lowered downtown A Street Supercharger down to $0.26/kWh, would more people use it?

Now, Tesla may have the ability to throttle individual Supercharger costs and perhaps control overcrowding by instituting higher fees during peak usage. If pricing becomes dynamic, it will encourage those that pay to Supercharge to charge up their cars with the minimum required to make it back home where they should get the lowest electric rate.

Tesla can certainly modify Supercharger usage behavior now with dynamic pricing.

Last edited:
View attachment 370402
Its midday and there is a good distribution among the various local San Diego Supercharger stations. Normally Qualcomm is overloaded at this time.

It’s interesting that Tesla has different costs for each of the San Diego Superchargers.
$0.36 Qualcomm
$0.34 Del Sur
$0.31 Carlsbad
I wonder if Tesla owner behavior will mirror ICE behavior with people driving the extra miles to save pennies at the pump for gas. If they lowered downtown A Street Supercharger down to $0.26/kWh, would more people use it?

Now, Tesla may have the ability to throttle individual Supercharger costs and perhaps control overcrowding by instituting higher fees during peak usage. If pricing becomes dynamic, it will encourage those that pay to Supercharge to charge up their cars with the minimum required to make it back home where they should get the lowest electric rate.

Tesla can certainly modify Supercharger usage behavior now with dynamic pricing.
Would be nice if the app also showed the price per kWh at the various locations to make deciding which direction to head when needed.

Am i correct to say that Tesla is now charging model 3 owners to charge?
Yes but it depends on several factors. Many S/X vehicles are grandfathered in. Some Model P3D owners got in at the right time to avoid ever paying for it. Some owners used a referral code and depending on what they were buying either got a lifetime or a limited time supercharging. Now some buyers that use a referral code get 1000 miles of free supercharging but I'm unclear how Tesla tracks those miles only, unless they are converting to a certain number of kW per mile since other forms of charging thrown in during a mix of supercharging over a 1000 mile period seems like it would be a problem to know for sure if you were reaching your free allotment or not. You were asking about just supercharging, weren't you? If not, all other L1 and L2 charging is either free or whatever the network/ service provider is charging and has nothing to do with Tesla. There are even some superchargers that are still free in some locations due to various things like emergency relief by geographic areas or a business that supports the superchargers that they have agreed to for that location. So to answer your question, it depends...;-)

Yes but it depends on several factors. Many S/X vehicles are grandfathered in. Some Model P3D owners got in at the right time to avoid ever paying for it. Some owners used a referral code and depending on what they were buying either got a lifetime or a limited time supercharging. Now some buyers that use a referral code get 1000 miles of free supercharging but I'm unclear how Tesla tracks those miles only, unless they are converting to a certain number of kW per mile since other forms of charging thrown in during a mix of supercharging over a 1000 mile period seems like it would be a problem to know for sure if you were reaching your free allotment or not. You were asking about just supercharging, weren't you? If not, all other L1 and L2 charging is either free or whatever the network/ service provider is charging and has nothing to do with Tesla. There are even some superchargers that are still free in some locations due to various things like emergency relief by geographic areas or a business that supports the superchargers that they have agreed to for that location. So to answer your question, it depends...;-)

Thanks for the informative reply.

I am inquiring about this location at Qualcomm as before the rate hikes Model 3 owners were charging on QCOM tab from what i remember.

Thanks for the informative reply.

I am inquiring about this location at Qualcomm as before the rate hikes Model 3 owners were charging on QCOM tab from what i remember.
I actually avoided that location while visiting that area even though I had read about it being free for Model 3 owners also. The nightmare stories about long wait times or having to charge at 2am just to avoid the lines didn't make saving a few $ seem worth the effort. I charged in Carlsbad and Black Mountain plus it looks like the one they are calling Del Mar should be coming on line real soon. Never had to wait for a supercharger spot since owning my car from June last year but I do mostly charge at home on a TOU rate plan for about $.05 per kw.

Reactions: bmms8
Yeah traffic has gone down quite a bit now that Tesla charges for charging there if you had a model 3 or non free unlimited model s/x. Before it was crazy with the Qualcomm employees and others where it looked like it was mainly model 3s charging with few model s/x. Now it is back to what it was before with model x/s but better because they opened up Carlsbad, fashion valley and other local sites.

It is still crowded overall, but no longer huge lines wrapping around the parking lot like before.

Also I dont see those tesloop scammers anymore. Hopefully they ran out of business due to the new policy about Tesla supercharging only for non commercial use.

68C60A43-DC25-4BAF-B027-387C8879142B.jpeg

Latest software update received this week enables 150kW charging so I came out this Saturday morning to Qualcomm to see if it is any better at this notoriously unpredictable Supercharger. Only two Tesla’s charging at 6 am and I am pulling 132kW or 398 mi/hr. Not quite the anticipated 150kW but much better than a week ago! Thanks TESLA for improving my car!

That's awesome - I'm on mobile, what type battery do you have? 100kwh?
100kwh battery in our MX. I intentionally ran the battery down to 10% and set the upper charge limit to 100% to see what we could pull. Topped out at 132kW even though there was only one other TESLA (MS) at the station. I travelled 20 miles using NOA direct to the Supercharger so battery warming (optimized temp) should have been achieved enroute. Still some room for improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno