Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I make the trip about once a week and often have to go to Chula Vista and Poway. Last week I made it to SJC with only 3%. I certainly hope we won't get locals leaving their vehicles there and not returning for hours. That happens a lot at SJC. I was there today for an hour at stall 3B and there was a Tesla in 3A when I got there and no sign of an owner when I left an hour later. No one should be taking up a SC space for more than an hour.

Thats horrible. I hate when people do that. Just plain rude.

How long does it take to charge from 3% to 100% when you are the second
of two almost empty cars in an A-B pair of charging spaces?

Substantially over an hour, I expect, but usually less than 2?

100% takes a long time, even if you have the charger to yourself. But given that most of that time is using a lot less than 120kW, it's probably a modest difference between sharing and not sharing. It would be more significant if charging to something less, like 80%.

Ha Ha
Early on most mornings at Gilroy, there is a car that has obviously been there awhile (with dew on it) and a car (ICE) will pull up - passenger gets out and takes the Tesla away.

Yeah, I know it's free. But charging does not cost that much at home.

It astounds me that some one would leave a 100k car like that. If you can afford the car you can afford to pay for the power at home. Honestly I would be to worried about vandalism to leave it out the like that.

Ha Ha
Early on most mornings at Gilroy, there is a car that has obviously been there awhile (with dew on it) and a car (ICE) will pull up - passenger gets out and takes the Tesla away.

I would leave a pleasant note on this person's car. "While there is much less use at night, this is still not a parking spot. Please move your car when done charging". Then, if he/she still does this, leave a nastier note, then if still doing this, post pics on a thread here and write to TM.

Ha Ha

Don't forget, there are people who can't easily charge at home, such as those who live in condos without attached parking. Though the above story does sound strange.

I would leave a pleasant note on this person's car. "While there is much less use at night, this is still not a parking spot. Please move your car when done charging". Then, if he/she still does this, leave a nastier note, then if still doing this, post pics on a thread here and write to TM.

at least take a picture with the car and another with the VIN number... our community will find the guy

I know SOME people get all bent of shape about the possibility of locals parking at SC's to save a buck or two. They're also worried that there will a huge log jam when they get to a popular SC site. Well let me share my thoughts on this. I wasn't worried about this when I purchased my car (when there were only 8 SC's in the US) and I'm certainly not worried with 190+ SC's in the US.

Here's my data:
Model S Delivery: May 16, 2013
Total Miles Driven: 69,500 miles, almost 24 months
Supercharging locations visited: 17 (Hawthorne, Redondo Beach, Indio, Rancho Cucamonga, Barstow, Primm, Las Vegas, Culver City, SJ Capistrano, Tejon Ranch, Buellton, Atascadero, Gilroy, Fremont, Harris Ranch, and Vacaville)
Number of times charged at a Supercharger: 75-80 times.
Number of times I had to wait for an open spot at a Supercharger: 1
Number of minutes I had to wait: 5 minutes

I probably used Hawthorne about 20 times and NEVER WAITED. I was there during all kinds of hours, early, late, weekends, weekdays, holidays, rush hour, etc. Never had to wait. I don't go there as much as I use other locations now. Most of my Hawthorne charges were during the times when they only had 5 charging units.

Bottom line? Don't worry about what could happen! Relax and enjoy the ride :)

I have had to wait once at Hawthorne for over an hour in the early days, also at Gilroy and Fremont on a July 2014 road trip but at SJC I have had to wait at least half a dozen times. For those of us who drive the OC to San Diego route frequently this new location will help reduce the load at SJC and perhaps eliminate wait times. Regardless of our personal experiences with wait times it is still not right for owners to plug their cars in and disappear for hours (or overnight as in an earlier post). In theory no one should be charging to 100% at a SC unless they are heading off into an area with no charging and need a range charge. For general SC use it should be enough to get to 80% and move on. As more and more Teslas hit the road this will become a necessity and not just a nice thing to do.

Right. I had to wait at Hawthorne so long, that I gave up and limped home (pre-expansion). SJC is just simply ridiculous. And just to clarify, my issues is not a "locals" vs traveler's issue. I am cool with locals using it. It is about using the SC as an extended parking spot. It takes an hour to get a huge charge. Charge and move on. Common courtesy.

I am visiting Del Mar from Scottsdale in June. What do you think my chances are of finding the San Diego charging station open?

Pretty good.

I agree, the odds are pretty good, but even if San Diego is still not open by then, it's easy to get to Del Mar with plenty of buffer from El Centro, and there are lots of CHAdeMO's in the San Diego area.