Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0BA8B66F-79A9-4EF9-91B4-02C9D6954871.jpeg

This morning at 5:15 there are 6 Teslas charging in unpaired stalls. I am in 3B and pulling 87KW. This is much better than when I was alone by myself yesterday pulling only 68W with no other Tesla’s in sight.

Attachments

• 808F2712-4A0F-40F3-8457-1A212C59C7EA.jpeg
    808F2712-4A0F-40F3-8457-1A212C59C7EA.jpeg
    383.3 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: bmms8
View attachment 358089
This morning at 5:15 there are 6 Teslas charging in unpaired stalls. I am in 3B and pulling 87KW. This is much better than when I was alone by myself yesterday pulling only 68W with no other Tesla’s in sight.

I’m new to the SC, are there particular stalls you remember being better than others? I don’t remember which two I charged at that gave me great charges. Thanks

If there is another car using the charger "paired" with yours (every two adjacent chargers represents a "pair" here), and that car was there first and is below ~25% charge, you are likely to get no more than 32 kW until the other car's charge increases, and subsequently it's charge rate decreases, first you'll jump to 48-64 kW, then upwards from there as it becomes available. You're splitting ~120 kW, and the first car connected to that pair gets priority. There is no problem with the chargers when they only spit out 32 kW under the conditions I've described; they're working as intended.

If there is another car using the charger "paired" with yours (every two adjacent chargers represents a "pair" here), and that car was there first and is below ~25% charge, you are likely to get no more than 32 kW until the other car's charge increases, and subsequently it's charge rate decreases, first you'll jump to 48-64 kW, then upwards from there as it becomes available. You're splitting ~120 kW, and the first car connected to that pair gets priority. There is no problem with the chargers when they only spit out 32 kW under the conditions I've described; they're working as intended.

Problem is you are only getting 60 or so even when unpaired until you are full. Again speculating, but I think Qualcomm is trying to avoid surge demand electricity rates which can cost them a lot. The reason I believe this is I have seen tesla repair and replace charger rack box and the charge cable multiple time. The guy I talked to confirm of this and he said they are just trying to get ahead of the problem by proactively changing them so it doesn't bottleneck especially before the busy holiday travel.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Once people who charge here starting noticing the fees on their credit card, I expect this location is going to be significantly less crowded.
So you believe that only people that were having to pay at other locations were making this one so crowded? The people that get free for life and 6-9 months free aren't being put on a pay only system are they? Those owners that refuse to charge at home or don't have that option will still use superchargers as their primary charging so I hope the additional superchargers along with new owners having to pay will make it better as time goes by but we'll have to see.