Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like SJC is indeed going to be a very busy station.

I agree. The segment of I-5 in the area of Mission Viejo, is the second-busiest stretch of interstate in the USA, at some 334,000 vehicles per day.

The busiest stretch of interstate in the country is the 72-mile I-405, at some 374,000 vehicles per day. This influences Hawthorne.

These 2 Supercharger sites may be the torture test for Tesla, in terms of managing heavy traffic at Superchargers. If Tesla can successfully manage traffic levels at the Hawthorne and SJC Superchargers, then Tesla can say that they can handle anything that American motorists can dish. This would be an accomplishment for Tesla.

Sunday morning around 10am, 3 of us (what's with parking on the wrong side, do a lot of people do that?):

SJCphoto.JPG

spentan: looking at the middle stall (2B) immediately to the right of the gray car in stall 3A, the one which also requires a back-in car orientation and is currently being used by the white car... if the bank (and strip mall customer) angle-in parking that is behind the cars that are in stalls is at all busy, it's very hard to back a Tesla into 2B. The location he's using is very respectful of the bank drive-through.

As to the missing signs, it may be that the ones allowing shared use by bank customers and EV are being replaced with EV-only notices. It's only a guess. I've seen times when ICE vehicles were briefly using stalls while Tesla's were waiting. It also may be an education problem. Behind the charger facility is a very active strip mall. On Cinco de Mayo there was a celebration, and parking anywhere was at a premium.

It might be too simple to use these bars to say how 'busy' a SC is or how likely it is to find an open spot. For example Hawthorne added two more stalls recently. That bar will not go down because of it, yet it will increase availability.

I don't think that's the idea of the bar, the idea is just to provide a basic display of how much power is being dispensed at the site.